• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Blake Wheeler Returns to Rangers' Practice, but Will He Be a Playoff Option?

Blake Wheeler was skating with the team for the first time since Feb. 15, when he suffered a right-leg injury following a hit from Canadiens defenseman Jayden Struble that caused him to crumble to the ice in pain. The 37-year-old forward had to be helped off the ice by teammates, with initial fears that it could be a season-ending situation.

Even if Wheeler is cleared while the Blueshirts are still alive, it's no sure thing that he'd step right back into the lineup. He was playing right wing on the top line with Chris Kreider and Mika Zibanejad at the time of his injury, but Jack Roslovic was acquired at the trade deadline to take that spot and has posted five points (two goals and three assists) through five playoff games. Meanwhile, Alexis Lafrenière and Kaapo Kakko are entrenched as the right wingers on line Nos. 2 and 3, and it's unlikely the Rangers would ask Wheeler to play in a fourth-line checking role.

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2024/05/06/blake-wheeler-returns-to-rangers-practice-will-he-be-playoff-option/73587257007/

24 minutes ago, Scott said:

Time for him to solidify the head cheerleaders role.  Barring a couple of injuries I can't see him actually playing. Now is definitely not the time for a mercy fuck.

Just say no!

Thankfully we finally have a coach who has a clue

• Keeps it 100 1

This team is absolutely humming right now. I don’t see the point in talking about changing a lineup that’s won 5 straight playoff games. That doesn’t happen too often, whether you win the Cup or not.

Whats the phrase? Ah. Yes, that’s right.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Ben Stiller Knowledge GIF

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

Sorry to bring this up but can anyone tell me why Sam Rosen and Joe Micheletti are not announcing the games on MSG? My folks are curious. They like Sam Rosen announcing and commenting on the Rangers… 

LGR!! 

19 minutes ago, RangersLEETCH said:

Sorry to bring this up but can anyone tell me why Sam Rosen and Joe Micheletti are not announcing the games on MSG? My folks are curious. They like Sam Rosen announcing and commenting on the Rangers… 

LGR!! 

Rounds 2 - 4 is all exclusive national broadcasts

• Thanks 1

hope he doesn't play but I could think of far worse guys to have as your 'black aces'

even if he just helps us elevate practices I'm glad he's back skating.  and if we get into serious injury trouble (which is pretty common in deep playoff runs) he's a much better option to insert in the lineup than some hartford call up

• Keeps it 100 1