• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers-Hurricanes — Round Two General Series Thread

How many games for the Rangers to win?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

1 hour ago, Phil said:

If Chytil can't play:

Kreider - Zibanejad - Cuylle
Panarin - Trocheck - Lafrenière
Roslovic - Wennberg - Kakko
Vesey - Goodrow - Rempe

Lindgren - Fox
Miller - Schneider
Jones - Trouba

If Chytil can play:

Kreider - Zibanejad - Cuylle
Panarin - Trocheck - Lafrenière
Chytil - Wennberg - Kakko
Vesey - Goodrow - Rempe

Lindgren - Fox
Miller - Schneider
Jones - Trouba

Cuylle/Chytil can change if it isn't working or Rangers need more scoring punch mid-way through the game.

I like this Phil. My only angst is with the second options third line. I think, like the prior game w Chytle in, the third line has an identity crisis. What is that line is it now a scoring line or a checking line? 

Maybe it can be both but it didn't seem to my eye to work out the other night w Chytle in.

Just my observation on it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Br4d said:

They're not out of gas.  Half the top 6 is playing gentle non-contact hockey again and there is no way those guys can do that and beat the 'Canes.

maybe because they're out of gas?

2 minutes ago, Dem said:

I like this Phil. My only angst is with the second options third line. I think, like the prior game w Chytle in, the third line has an identity crisis. What is that line is it now a scoring line or a checking line? 

Maybe it can be both but it didn't seem to my eye to work out the other night w Chytle in.

Just my observation on it.

third line has to be Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko.  No other option.  Wennberg should not be anywhere close to offensive players.  

Just now, Albatrosss said:

maybe because they're out of gas?

Since when have Zibanejad, Kreider and Panarin needed to be out of gas to be in no contact mode?

It's the playoffs.  Those guys are either in it to win it or they're putting a tremendous load on everybody else.

• Bullseye 1

Just now, Br4d said:

Since when have Zibanejad, Kreider and Panarin needed to be out of gas to be in no contact mode?

It's the playoffs.  Those guys are either in it to win it or they're putting a tremendous load on everybody else.

you're asking for contact mode from Panarin and Zib?  

third line has to be Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko.  No other option.  Wennberg should not be anywhere close to offensive players.  

They could move Cuylle up to RW on line 1a.  3 could be Chytil-Roslovic-Kakko.  4 could be Goodrow-Wennberg-Vesey/Rempe.

1 minute ago, Albatrosss said:

you're asking for contact mode from Panarin and Zib?  

They were both hitting people in the Caps series and the start of this one.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

That's reasonable a guy to drive possession, a rugged checking forward who can score and a natural goal scorer. That makes really good sense to me Alb

• Thanks 1

Just now, Br4d said:

They were both hitting people in the Caps series and the start of this one.

one reverse hit by panarin doesnt really qualify as playing physical.  Pan and Zib are some of the softest players on this team.  Even Fox is more physical

one reverse hit by panarin doesnt really qualify as playing physical.  Pan and Zib are some of the softest players on this team.  Even Fox is more physical

Panarin was finishing his checks until maybe 3 games ago.  He was making a real effort to get back on defense.  That's one of the big reasons the Rangers were so all around effective over the first 6 games.  While he was doing that, which I will call leading by example, Lafreniere was the most noticeable player on the ice and Trocheck was tearing the roof off the stadium.

Since Panarin vanished his linemates have also become less noticeable as they have become less effective.

• Keeps it 100 2

1 minute ago, Br4d said:

Panarin was finishing his checks until maybe 3 games ago.  He was making a real effort to get back on defense.  That's one of the big reasons the Rangers were so all around effective over the first 6 games.  While he was doing that, which I will call leading by example, Lafreniere was the most noticeable player on the ice and Trocheck was tearing the roof off the stadium.

Since Panarin vanished his linemates have also become less noticeable as they have become less effective.

Panarin was finishing checks?  I must've watched the rangers in a parallel universe

2 minutes ago, Abe Froman said:

It's hard for me to understand how professional athletes, in the playoffs, making millions of dollars like these guys, aren't out there giving their all every night.

Agree 100% Abe. The old story was that the cup doesn't mean as much to the Euro/Scandinavian player. Not sure I believe that but it does usually seem that they are the ones that punk out 1st for the Rangers. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dem said:

Agree 100% Abe. The old story was that the cup doesn't mean as much to the Euro/Scandinavian player. Not sure I believe that but it does usually seem that they are the ones that punk out 1st for the Rangers. 

Could be Dem. I wonder what Kreiders excuse is? 

8 minutes ago, Abe Froman said:

It's hard for me to understand how professional athletes, in the playoffs, making millions of dollars like these guys, aren't out there giving their all every night.

cause they dont get paid during playoffs? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

True. But you would think they would still be motivated by the chance to win a championship. The best trophy in sports in my opinion.

13 minutes ago, Abe Froman said:

True. But you would think they would still be motivated by the chance to win a championship. The best trophy in sports in my opinion.

idk.  If I knew, I wouldnt be on here talking to you

15 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Agreed Aves! Wheeler time

I'm on the computer at work, with no sound, so I don't know what was said here.  I'll forward to myself to check out later when I am on a break.  However, I still think Miller needs to make Staal eat shit here.  Is Miller the only one who blew this play?  No, not at all.  Schneider got smoked and had a pathetic ole stick check.  Kreider and whoever that was that did not engage Orlov with the puck and then circled back and again did not engage Orlov AGAIN were both pathetic.  I assume that is Roslovic.  But Miller had a chance to make Staal eat shit and he passed it up for another pathetic stick check.  

• Keeps it 100 4

10 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I'm on the computer at work, with no sound, so I don't know what was said here.  I'll forward to myself to check out later when I am on a break.  However, I still think Miller needs to make Staal eat shit here.  Is Miller the only one who blew this play?  No, not at all.  Schneider got smoked and had a pathetic ole stick check.  Kreider and whoever that was that did not engage Orlov with the puck and then circled back and again did not engage Orlov AGAIN were both pathetic.  I assume that is Roslovic.  But Miller had a chance to make Staal eat shit and he passed it up for another pathetic stick check.  

Good call out. He absolutely should have stepped up and applied the body on a player driving to the net. Man what a disgusting play by many. Miller pussy as usual. Roslovic drive by. Schneider flat footed and undressed by a slow player. Pretty soft goal by Igor too.

• Keeps it 100 2

The star who seems to be struggling the most is Adam Fox, fueling belief that the Rangers' No. 1 defenseman is playing through an injury that dates back to a leg-on-leg collision with Washington Capitals defenseman Nick Jensen in the previous series.

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2024/05/14/rangers-need-stars-to-step-up-to-close-out-hurricanes/73688313007/

2 hours ago, Albatrosss said:

That intrigued me since I didn't know and looked it up. The short version is that you're correct, but...

The players don't get paid from the team, the owners actually prohibited from paying them. On the other hand, the NHLPA and NHL set aside a playoff bonus pool, that divided between the playoff teams. The NHLPA determines how the bonus pool is distributed each year, with the NHL approval. This is how they distributed $21M last season:

Presidents’ Trophy winner — $500,000
First round losers — $2 million ($250,000 each to eight teams)
Second round losers — $2 million ($500,000 each to four teams)
Third round losers — $2.5 million ($1.25 million each to two teams)
Stanley Cup Finalist — $2.25 million
Stanley Cup Champion — $3.75 million

The winning team gets nothing from the bonus pool, until eliminated. (Looking at you Craniacs...😉 ). The SC winner will not get their share of the bonus pool until they raise the cup.

The teams are free to decide how to distribute their share of the pool, based on 23 or more players on the roster. The distribution isn't required to be even between players, some may get more while others get less. It's up to the management. Is the bonus payment a lot for the players? For most of them with high value contract, looking at the NYR top two lines, it is not much. On the other hand, it's a pretty good bonus for Rempire and others...

Source....

So, yeah, they don't get their regular pay, but there's some compensation. It's more of prestige, pride that may have lost some of its lust. Especially for players with eight digit salaries during the years...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Not everyone has the same drive and the same goals I guess. There probably are some who want it but just don't want to give what it takes to get it. It's just who they are. I guess the President's Trophy is enough for some people. 

Edited by Abe Froman