• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2023-24 WCQF: Jets vs. Avalanche

Who wins?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

• Jets in 4
    • Jets in 5
    • Jets in 6
    • Jets in 7
    • Avalanche in 4
    • Avalanche in 5
    • Avalanche in 6
    • Avalanche in 7

11 hours ago, Abe Froman said:

No. I get it. I guess I wasn't paying enough attention.

You were paying enough attention. 

He's a good goalie playing bad hockey right now. Been completely overused this season so he's probably cooked.

• TroCheckmark 1

6 hours ago, Pete said:

You were paying enough attention. 

He's a good goalie playing bad hockey right now. Been completely overused this season so he's probably cooked.

He actually had slightly less TOI than last season. So define 'completely overused'? If we're saying the new standard for starting goalies is 55-60 games, he was only a handful of games more than that. It's not like he was in the 70+ game territory. I would describe his workload on the upper end of the average scale but by no means overused. 

He was actually semi-decent in their 1st round exit last year (which was due to a multitude of factors), but just doesn't strike me as the kinda goalie that could lead a stacked team like the Avalanche to the promise land. If they somehow do it, it'll be inspite of Georgiev.

51 minutes ago, Karan said:

He actually had slightly less TOI than last season. So define 'completely overused'? If we're saying the new standard for starting goalies is 55-60 games, he was only a handful of games more than that. It's not like he was in the 70+ game territory. I would describe his workload on the upper end of the average scale but by no means overused. 

He was actually semi-decent in their 1st round exit last year (which was due to a multitude of factors), but just doesn't strike me as the kinda goalie that could lead a stacked team like the Avalanche to the promise land. If they somehow do it, it'll be inspite of Georgiev.

Oh, I don't agree there. He showed even here that he can go on a heater, he did it when Shesty was hurt.

He's been overused for 2 seasons then, if he played more last year. It's not just about games played, it's about how his workload was managed, too. He played almost every game for the last month.

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

Oh, I don't agree there. He showed even here that he can go on a heater, he did it when Shesty was hurt.

He's been overused for 2 seasons then, if he played more last year. It's not just about games played, it's about how his workload was managed, too. He played almost every game for the last month.

I was referring to in the playoffs, not regular season play. In the regular season, he seems capable of having these mini hot streaks and pulling out Ws, whether the Avs are scoring a pile of goals or not. But playoffs are another story. Just doesn't strike me as the kinda goalie who'll make that big save at a key point in a critical game, or stand on his head in an elimination game to help his team advance. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Yeah fair. His overall body of work across the season didn't seem excessive to me, but certainly down the stretch it seemed like he was playing just about every game which I would agree was bit of mismanagement on the Avs part.

Edited by Karan

3 minutes ago, Karan said:

I was referring to in the playoffs, not regular season play. In the regular season, he seems capable of having these mini hot streaks and pulling out Ws, whether the Avs are scoring a pile of goals or not. But playoffs are another story. Just doesn't strike me as the kinda goalie who'll make that big save at a key point in a goal, or stand on his head in an elimination game to help his team advance. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Yeah fair. His overall body of work across the season didn't seem excessive to me, but certainly down the stretch it seemed like he was playing just about every game which I would agree was bit of mismanagement on the Avs part.

That's a fair point, until he does it—he hasn't done it. 🍻

Big rebound game. My disdain for him makes rooting for Colorado difficult, as much as I like that team. It doesn't sway me that much, though. I'm still rooting for the Avs. I still think it can easily go seven, but we'll see. The promising sign for them is that they're scoring a lot against Hellebuyck.

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Looks like Georgiev stepped up last night. 

Well the Jets xGF was 2.68. So it was more a case of Georgiev having a normal night and not shitting the bed, and more so the rest of the Avs team stepping up to limit the Jets chances and finding a way to outscore the opponent. 

Edited by Karan

2 hours ago, Karan said:

Well the Jets xGF was 2.68. So it was more a case of Georgiev having a normal night and not shitting the bed, and more so the rest of the Avs team stepping up to limit the Jets chances and finding a way to outscore the opponent. 

I don't care what the xGF was. I watched that game, he gutted it out and stopped some bleeding.

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

I don't care what the xGF was. I watched that game, he gutted it out and stopped some bleeding.

Admittedly I didn't watch the entire game, was flipping between the Vancouver game so only saw half. But to me his performance was akin to a guy in your team finally meeting his job expectations and helping you get a deliverable out to a client on time/budget. Is that really stepping up? Sure, I guess if its stepping up from underperforming to baseline expectations. Lets just say, Vally probably wouldn't call that a 'stolen game' as he likes to put it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Karan said:

Admittedly I didn't watch the entire game, was flipping between the Vancouver game so only saw half. But to me his performance was akin to a guy in your team finally meeting his job expectations and helping you get a deliverable out to a client on time/budget. Is that really stepping up? Sure, I guess if its stepping up from underperforming to baseline expectations. Lets just say, Vally probably wouldn't call that a 'stolen game' as he likes to put it.

I get that, but I also don't equate sports to real life. That guy clearly struggles with confidence, and after a shaky start to the game he really clamped down. It could have gone either way.

• Cheers 1

I watched the entire game tonight. Admittedly it's only one game (road). Winnipeg looks fucking legit to me. They played a a great game defensively, offensively and PP/PK. Don't know if this was an aberration but damn they looked good.