• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Jack Hughes Will Undergo Season Ending Shoulder Surgery; Expected to Be Ready for Training Camp

I know they’ve been in the thick of things, on the back end of the race at least. But this injury has hampered him all season. And they better hope he comes back healthy and ready to go next year because there are reasons to say this should have happened about a month or so ago. They were never going to make the playoffs with just Jake Allen, Kaapo Kakkohen, Akira Schmid and Nico Daws in the net, a depleted and young blue line without Hamilton, and Hughes at least than 70%.

Edited by RichieNextel305

They wanted to upgrade their goaltending at the deadline so they got Allen and Kakkonen. I don't think that was much of an upgrade, if any. It felt like a lateral move almost. I believe they sent Kakkonen down if I'm not mistaken.

2 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

They wanted to upgrade their goaltending at the deadline so they got Allen and Kakkonen. I don't think that was much of an upgrade, if any. It felt like a lateral move almost. I believe they sent Kakkonen down if I'm not mistaken.

Kahkonen literally played against the Rangers last week lol

1 minute ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

Kahkonen literally played against the Rangers last week lol

I know. But I think he got sent down shortly after that.

Edit: He actually got injured. Nevermind.

Edited by Sharpshooter
  • Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

They took a bunch of lottery tickets because what's currently there is trash and they know it. It's going to be a battle for whoever is going to back up Markstrom next season.

Just now, Pete said:

They took a bunch of lottery tickets because what's currently there is trash and they know it. It's going to be a battle for whoever is going to back up Markstrom next season.

Yeah, probably. Markstrom on that team scares me. lol Given how he's usually played against the Rangers, I'd hate to have him in the division.

• Keeps it 100 1

The Devils really should be kicking themselves for being so bad this season though. Even without Hughes at 100% and Hamilton out, they should have been at the very least battling for the playoffs among the crop of shit in the Eastern Conference. Their injuries are no excuse - their goaltending was horrendous all year, their defense was doing them no favors, and their powerplay was atrocious for a team of their talent level. It was a bad mix right from the hop and a smarter team would have done something earlier. Firing Ruff when they did and going for that goaltending hail Mary at the end says to me they weren't quite sure what to do at various points of the year.

5 minutes ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

The Devils really should be kicking themselves for being so bad this season though. Even without Hughes at 100% and Hamilton out, they should have been at the very least battling for the playoffs among the crop of shit in the Eastern Conference. Their injuries are no excuse - their goaltending was horrendous all year, their defense was doing them no favors, and their powerplay was atrocious for a team of their talent level. It was a bad mix right from the hop and a smarter team would have done something earlier. Firing Ruff when they did and going for that goaltending hail Mary at the end says to me they weren't quite sure what to do at various points of the year.

I can't imagine how Fitzgerald keeps his job after this season. He's one of the worst GMs in the league. 

It’s a small, fast, talented, soft, immature team. Their defense was weakened by Hamilton being gone. But does he fix everything? They probably do get a goalie, which will help. Hughes has been someone who tends to get injured quite a bit. I can’t believe things imploded this big this fast there. But, as others have said in this thread, what a shame…

8 hours ago, Pete said:

I can't imagine how Fitzgerald keeps his job after this season. He's one of the worst GMs in the league. 

Sure seems like he punted (by leaving Ruff to run the ship completely into the ground and never made an attempt to plug the gap of the sieves in net until it was way too late). He completely disappeared for months after McLeod and Foote got pulled Jan 24th , he spoke publicly  on Jan 23 about his multi-year extension.  I would think the org sticks with him based on incompetency and his new extension.

• Cheers 1

On 4/10/2024 at 11:07 AM, RichieNextel305 said:

It’s a small, fast, talented, soft, immature team. Their defense was weakened by Hamilton being gone. But does he fix everything? They probably do get a goalie, which will help. Hughes has been someone who tends to get injured quite a bit. I can’t believe things imploded this big this fast there. But, as others have said in this thread, what a shame…

The Hamilton injury hurt them for sure.

But before that… they let Graves go and traded Severson and replaced them with 2 kids that are offensive defensemen.

All for the purpose of keeping Timo Meier, whom they didn’t really need.

19 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

The Hamilton injury hurt them for sure.

But before that… they let Graves go and traded Severson and replaced them with 2 kids that are offensive defensemen.

All for the purpose of keeping Timo Meier, whom they didn’t really need.

And who stunk for them in the playoffs and first half of this season. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

And who stunk for them in the playoffs and first half of this season. 

I never understood the deal for him.

The price they paid to acquire him essentially made it impossible for them not to extend him. You get a rental at that price, you have to keep him long-term. 

But it isn’t like they needed him.

4th highest scoring team in the league. 

They were already loaded up front with plenty of offense and depth.

15 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

I never understood the deal for him.

The price they paid to acquire him essentially made it impossible for them not to extend him. You get a rental at that price, you have to keep him long-term. 

But it isn’t like they needed him.

4th highest scoring team in the league. 

They were already loaded up front with plenty of offense and depth.

Love to see them mismanaged and then struggle. What looked like a decade of pain in this rivalry turned on it's head this year. Keep it coming NJ. Sign an aged declining netminder this off season. Please.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2024 at 7:44 PM, RangersIn7 said:

The price they paid to acquire him essentially made it impossible for them not to extend him.

It's known as "The Trouba Factor."