• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Saving Sakic Comes Out on ESPN+ on April 17th

It comes out on the 16th in Canada and then the following day in the US.

I personally can’t wait to watch this. For those of you who know me and my memory when it comes to this type of shit, it should come as no surprise when I say I remember all of this like it was yesterday. Really was a fork in the road type of moment for the Rangers. No disrespect to LaFontaine, who did play well here in his very short time as a Ranger, but I truly do believe us landing Sakic after losing Messier may have eliminated us from going through what we all now know to be the “Dark Years.” He was a young and already accomplished superstar with a Cup under his belt and in all likelihood would have come in and worn the ‘C’ from Day 1 here. Losing Messier was a kick in the groin but getting Sakic to replace him would have been huge.

We all know the story about this. I can’t wait to see some behind the scenes shit from all parties involved.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

31 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I personally can’t wait to watch this. For those of you who know me and my memory when it comes to this type of shit, it should come as no surprise when I say I remember all of this like it was yesterday. Really was a fork in the road type of moment for the Rangers. No disrespect to LaFontaine, who did play well here in his very short time as a Ranger, but I truly do believe us landing Sakic after losing Messier may have eliminated us from going through what we all now know to be the “Dark Years.” He was a young and already accomplished superstar with a Cup under his belt and in all likelihood would have come in and worn the ‘C’ from Day 1 here. Losing Messier was a kick in the groin but getting Sakic to replace him would have been huge.

We all know the story about this. I can’t wait to see some behind the scenes shit from all parties involved.

I still remember calling my buddy to say we got Sakic since the original news all said it was a done deal. Really sucked how it all worked out for us lol 

If we get Sakic, chances are exponentially higher that Smith budges a year later and brings Bure in from Vancouver. Having Sakic and Bure in their primes, along with Leetch still being what he was and the likelihood Gretzky may have played an extra year means we likely have a different outlook on what those Rangers eventually looked like.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Vodka Drunkenski said:

It was okay, just pissed me off

Haha. I hear you. I remember this all so well. It was the first time I’ve seen or heard Dave Checketts name in forever too. It was a smart play by the Rangers to do what they did, especially with no cap and the Rangers in the position they found themselves in after Messier.

On 3/28/2024 at 1:13 PM, RichieNextel305 said:

For this reason I won't watch this shit. That cunt fucked us. 

1 hour ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Haha. I hear you. I remember this all so well. It was the first time I’ve seen or heard Dave Checketts name in forever too. It was a smart play by the Rangers to do what they did, especially with no cap and the Rangers in the position they found themselves in after Messier.

it’s a miracle the Avs matched, everything aligned perfectly for them.  Had it been earlier, Sakic would’ve been raising cups for the Rangers

It was a decent watch.

But it’s nearly 30 years ago, and quite honestly it’s not that interesting a story to begin with. And ESPN dramatizes this shot beyond belief. 

Colorado was going to figure it out someway. I firmly believe that. 

2 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

It was a decent watch.

But it’s nearly 30 years ago, and quite honestly it’s not that interesting a story to begin with. And ESPN dramatizes this shot beyond belief. 

Colorado was going to figure it out someway. I firmly believe that. 

Yeah, it was not as dramatic as the whole Lindros trade saga in 1991, and at the time I fully expected the Avs to match.  Neil sure wasn't hesitant to swing for the fences.  It is not widely known that Francis offered Bill Torrey about half the team for the pick that was to be Potvin in 1973 and was turned down.  Anyway, Neil made many bad moves after 1994, starting with installing Campbell as coach, but this was not one of them.

Posted (edited)

Listening to Checketts reasoning made a lot of sense. At the time, Gretzky was coming off a year where he was 3rd in the NHL in scoring, Leetch won a Norris, Richter was coming off a playoff in which he was maybe better than he even was in 1994 and we made this run, don’t forget, with Kovalev missing the entire run with a major knee injury. So we also had the prospect of him coming back, plus also Graves coming off a 30+ goal season. If Sakic ended up in the fold, they would have lost 5 1sts but it may have been worth it. The pivot was LaFontaine, who played well but was gone after less than half a season. If Sakic were there, the stench of Messier wouldn’t have been there really. And they likely end up with Pavel Bure a year later as a real all-in move, as by then I don’t think Smith would have been prospect hugging the way he did with Vancouver when he was available.

Just a wild change of events. It was entertaining to see Checketts involvement with the Colorado backstory and how he and Charlie Lyons were able to put it all behind them after all those years.

Edited by RichieNextel305

This will be a cool watch, but at the same time, I don't want to be reminded of just how close this was and how it slipped through their fingers. Instead, the Rangers enter their worst stretch in team history and the rest is history with Sakic staying in Colorado.