• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Saving Sakic Comes Out on ESPN+ on April 17th

8 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Listening to Checketts reasoning made a lot of sense. At the time, Gretzky was coming off a year where he was 3rd in the NHL in scoring, Leetch won a Norris, Richter was coming off a playoff in which he was maybe better than he even was in 1994 and we made this run, don’t forget, with Kovalev missing the entire run with a major knee injury. So we also had the prospect of him coming back, plus also Graves coming off a 30+ goal season. If Sakic ended up in the fold, they would have lost 5 1sts but it may have been worth it. The pivot was LaFontaine, who played well but was gone after less than half a season. If Sakic were there, the stench of Messier wouldn’t have been there really. And they likely end up with Pavel Bure a year later as a real all-in move, as by then I don’t think Smith would have been prospect hugging the way he did with Vancouver when he was available.

Just a wild change of events. It was entertaining to see Checketts involvement with the Colorado backstory and how he and Charlie Lyons were able to put it all behind them after all those years.

The funny part is thinking about the sheer impact of what losing those 5 1sts would have meant.

No Manny Malhotra. Probably no 7th overall that year either though.

No Marc Savard to Calgary trade and no Sundstrom/Cloutier to Tampa trade, because we're not making that stupid push for Brendl and Lundmark after a disaster season that never happened (and also, no pick to trade Tampa in 2000 anyway.

Without Brendl, no Lindros trade.

No Dan Blackburn

No Pavel Bure trade

Basically, no dark ages if not for Air Force One. Fundamentally shifts the franchise in multiple directions to simply not have those assets. Not to mention Sakic-Gretzky being almost impossible to compete with

1 hour ago, LindG1000 said:

The funny part is thinking about the sheer impact of what losing those 5 1sts would have meant.

No Marc Savard to Calgary trade and no Sundstrom/Cloutier to Tampa trade, because we're not making that stupid push for Brendl and Lundmark after a disaster season that never happened (and also, no pick to trade Tampa in 2000 anyway.

No Dan Blackburn

No Pavel Bure trade

Basically, no dark ages if not for Air Force One. Fundamentally shifts the franchise in multiple directions to simply not have those assets. Not to mention Sakic-Gretzky being almost impossible to compete with

Lindros could have probably still happened.....Everyone knows Sather had a hard-on for Lindros and would have figured out something to get him here.  

13 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

Lindros could have probably still happened.....Everyone knows Sather had a hard-on for Lindros and would have figured out something to get him here.  

Yea I don't think Brendl was the lynchpin of the Lindros deal.

5 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

No Dan Blackburn

No Pavel Bure trade

yepp would have been easily the better choice to sign sakic.

what a shame

7 hours ago, Blue Heaven said:

I think had Sakic happened, Bure would have happened when he was leaving Vancouver. He wanted to come here. Smith was hesitant about dealing young talent. He held back Malholtra in those negotiations. Granted, he wouldn’t have even had him to negotiate here. But other young talent was there and could have been dangled, and I think Smith would have been more aggressive there if you had a young Sakic in-house because the Rangers would have been more of a win-now threat.

On 4/17/2024 at 11:04 PM, RichieNextel305 said:

I’m glad I wasn’t alone in the volume department. I had to raise the volume almost all the way up to listen. When it ended and regular TV went back on, the wife had no clue why I raised the volume all the way up. Haha.

Fuck Richie. You have a wife now? And kids probably?  Shit, i remember when you were 16 and i was buying you beers. I’m almost 50, man. Time just flew by. 

Fuck you Pete. 

• LMFAO 1

3 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

Fuck Richie. You have a wife now? And kids probably?  Shit, i remember when you were 16 and i was buying you beers. I’m almost 50, man. Time just flew by. 

Fuck you Pete. 

No kids yet. But soon. 

And haha. I remember those days well. 

2 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

No kids yet. But soon. 

And haha. I remember those days well. 

Remember Sqrue forum and how you got kicked out because you couldn’t stop saying fuck?  Great times.  😂

• LOL 1

47 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

Remember Sqrue forum and how you got kicked out because you couldn’t stop saying fuck?  Great times.  😂

I wouldda been done in a fucking hour there!!  LOL

7 hours ago, Albatrosss said:

Fuck you Pete. 

Maybe at 50 you'll stop being as asshole. I'm not counting on it, but there's hope. 

Actually there's no hope. You'll always be an asshole. 

• Bullseye 1

What a boring watch,  with a bunch of safe talk. Was hoping for a lot of trash talking and hate thrown around.

They didn't discuss the time Scott Stevens was offer sheeted. They didn't talk enough about the Rangers situation with Messier.  The Harrison Ford stuff was just stupid. 

Congrats ESPN. You sucked again.