• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Former NHL Player Chris Simon Commits Suicide; Dead at 52

He apparently filed for bankruptcy and disability in 2017, so that's plausible.

He has symptoms of chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE, which he said are “thought to be attributable to significant brain trauma during his hockey career.”

https://nationalpost.com/sports/hockey/nhl/my-situation-is-bleak-ex-nhl-enforcer-chris-simon-files-for-bankruptcy

This is so sad.

Despair is The Devil's plaything. There is ALWAYS someone on the phone or in person who will help. Tremendously sad and needless. Hope he finds some peace and his family some solace. 

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

Rough. It probably is suicide from the CTE combined with life problems. He was actually really good here playing on a nice third line with Messier and Matthew Barnaby.

RIP

I might have CTE because if you paid me a million dollars I couldn’t tell you what line and line mates he had. Insane that you remember that.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, siddious said:

I might have CTE because if you paid me a million dollars I couldn’t tell you what line and line mates he had. Insane that you remember that.

I pulled a @RichieNextel305 I'm not sure why exactly I remember that. Maybe it's because I liked Barnaby a lot when he was here, so I happened to recall that. Plus, there weren't very many bright spots in what was an awful season and team. 

Edited by Sharpshooter
  • LOL 2

11 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I pulled a @RichieNextel305 I'm not sure why exactly I remember that. Maybe it's because I liked Barnaby a lot when he was here, so I happened to recall that. Plus, there weren't very bright spots in what was an awful season and team. 

I have terrible memory to begin with but man I sure as shit remember a lot less about the 4th liners than the first liners 

Just now, siddious said:

That actually sucks because there’s a lot as ranger fans you’d like to forget 🤣

Indeed. I remember those dark years all too well, which has made me appreciate these last 18 years or so that much more. I remember when it was the bleakest of bleak. Yeah, there's been bad some pain in that time, but overall it's been pretty good. lol

• Like 1

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

Indeed. I remember those dark years all too well, which has made me appreciate these last 18 years or so that much more. I remember when it was the bleakest of bleak. Yeah, there's been bad some pain in that time, but overall it's been pretty good. lol

Started watching in 97 so that should tell you so you need to know about why I’m constantly pessemistic as a fan. 

hoping the last few years are the norm and not the first few. 

Another thing I remember is that they went 6-0 against the Islanders that year and Messier passed Gordie Howe in points. Those were really the only highlights that season. 

Oh, they did retire Richter's number, so that was a cool moment.

He didn't even fight that much. Neither did Belak or Boogaard. All fought at different points in their careers. Simon's full record is particularly benign. Probert fought a ton, but he also did massive amounts of cocaine. All the guys that don't make it have massive substance abuse issues. They're drug addicts. They all remind me of John Kordic.

Why? My dumb guess is that it's fueled by $$$$ and opportunity that comes from the NHL. They are, generally, rough and tumble people from a young age.

There are hundreds of guys that fought their way through the IHL, AHL, ECHL, etc, over the past 30 years. They fought wayyyy more. Anecdotally, it's hard to find one that isn't alive. 

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

My memory is good at sports stuff, other than that, it can be rough. 😆

1 hour ago, siddious said:

I have terrible memory to begin with but man I sure as shit remember a lot less about the 4th liners than the first liners 

I can hardly remember anything these days!  It's getting so that I can probably plan my next surprise party! 

• LOL 1

13 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

You can give yourself a heart attack. Wouldn't that be something.

Thanks Sharpy!!  LOL

I almost did when Kreider missed that deflection in front last night to tie the game!

Edited by Ozzy

11 hours ago, Dunny said:

He didn't even fight that much. Neither did Belak or Boogaard. All fought at different points in their careers. Simon's full record is particularly benign. Probert fought a ton, but he also did massive amounts of cocaine. All the guys that don't make it have massive substance abuse issues. They're drug addicts. They all remind me of John Kordic.

Why? My dumb guess is that it's fueled by $$$$ and opportunity that comes from the NHL. They are, generally, rough and tumble people from a young age.

There are hundreds of guys that fought their way through the IHL, AHL, ECHL, etc, over the past 30 years. They fought wayyyy more. Anecdotally, it's hard to find one that isn't alive. 

Boogaard - 670 PIMs in 174GP in the WHL, 240 PIM in 33GP in the ECHL, 466 PIMs in 109GP in the AHL, 589 PIMs in 277GP in the NHL 

The real kicker is 206 PIMs in 27GP in playing for the AAA Regina Pats in the 98-99 season when he would have been 16-17 years old.

Belak - 746 PIMs in 211 GP in the WHL, 460 PIMs in 110 GP in the AHL, and 1263 PIMs in 549GP in the NHL

Oh, and just 186 PIMs in 57GP playing for the North Battleford Stars U15 AAA in 91-92 when he would have been 15-16 years old. 

Yeah, these guys were total pacifists for sure. 

--

I get your point though - there's plenty of players who fought and fought more than these guys and they're still alive, what's the big deal? You're right, if the insinuation is that CTE isn't an automatic death sentence. Hell, fighting doesn't automatically mean you'll get CTE. But it certainly increases your chances of developing it, and ask any of these guys if they suffer from depression, anger management issues, memory issues, or have drug problems and you'll probably find a higher percentage than the regular population. You don't have to be dead to be suffering.

To me, the biggest issue is Boogaard and Belak started their roads to their ultimate death when they were 15, 16 years old. If you read the NYT article on Boogaard, they don't paint a picture of him being some total menace from a young age. He did the usual locker room shit, helmets and gloves and all that. He was just bigger than everyone else and he started fighting, partly to make a name for himself or make it big, as you said. That doesn't make it any better, IMO. 

• Like 1