• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Have Spoken to Seattle About Yanni Gourde

I mentioned this in the Wennberg thread but figured I’d start an individual thread for Gourde here.

Now, he is someone I’d have interest in. Wennberg is JAG. Gourde isn’t. He’s a playoff player. Has a cap hit of $5.1M AAV. Perhaps wonder if we could do one stop shopping here and get Eberle ($5.5M AAV) both retained? Might cost a decent amount but that is the type of move that makes sense for the Rangers.

Or even just Gourde alone.

Edited by RichieNextel305

• RichieNextel305 changed the title to Rangers Have Spoken to Seattle About Yanni Gourde
1 minute ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I mentioned this in the Wennberg thread but figured I’d start an individual thread for Gourde here.

Now, he is someone I’d have interest in. Wennberg is JAG. Gourde isn’t. He’s a playoff player. Has a cap hit of $5.1M AAV. Perhaps wonder if we could do one stop shopping here and get Eberle ($5.5M AAV) both retained? Might cost a decent amount but that is the type of move that makes sense for the Rangers.

Or even just Gourde alone.

Those are 2 guys that could move the needle and really make sense, depending on the price. 

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

I don't think Gourde is an upgrade. He's on pace for his worst statistical season and he's 32.

He'd cost more than Wennberg as a Brodz safety net. I'd pass.

I saw his stats for this year. They are ugly. That said, Gourde is a guy you want on your side in a playoff series. He wears many hats. And he’s a pest. 

• Keeps it 100 1

8 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I saw his stats for this year. They are ugly. That said, Gourde is a guy you want on your side in a playoff series. He wears many hats. And he’s a pest. 

No doubt. Just don't think he's worth the [probable] cost to acquire. And at his salary, he'd have to be the only move, and with Wheeler out, RW is more important. Retention just costs you more assets.

I'd be more interested in Eberle.

Edited by Pete

12 minutes ago, Pete said:

I don't think Gourde is an upgrade. He's on pace for his worst statistical season and he's 32.

He'd cost more than Wennberg as a Brodz safety net. I'd pass.

Yeah, right idea on paper. Falls down in reality. I'm really not interested.

15 minutes ago, Pete said:

No doubt. Just don't think he's worth the [probable] cost to acquire. And at his salary, he'd have to be the only move, and with Wheeler out, RW is more important. Retention just costs you more assets.

I'd be more interested in Eberle.

I didn’t realize Gourde still had another year on his deal.

Yeesh. That’s tough.

JBrod did not get an assist, but his typical quick aggressive play resulted in the second goal last night.  How are these guys really going to be an upgrade on that?  Especially when you consider that you have to give value for them and take a cap hit that will limit the kind of RW that you can obtain.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

11 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

If Seattle is willing to retain 50%, Gourde would only be a 2.5m hit next season and that'd be a pretty valuable player to have at that cap hit.

Yes, but the cost to get them to retain 50% on a player with another year probably isn't worth it.

• Keeps it 100 1

31 minutes ago, delneggs said:

99% of these "rumors" from "insiders" are total bullshit.  GM's call other teams and ask questions about players because that is their job and all it means is GM's talk to one another.  It's such BS.   

Totally agree. Especially in the Drury world of the Rangers. Super tight seal on everything from the Rangers. All anyone can do is speculate based on what they feel are the needs of the team because the true knowledge isn’t available.

• Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

20 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yes, but the cost to get them to retain 50% on a player with another year probably isn't worth it.

Almost certainly. I would assume the ask would be a 1st + one of Perreault or Othmann. Who knows what Drury would have to replace Perreault/Othmann with to save them from the deal. Another 1st for starters. Heavy.

9 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Almost certainly. I would assume the ask would be a 1st + one of Perreault or Othmann. Who knows what Drury would have to replace Perreault/Othmann with to save them from the deal. Another 1st for starters. Heavy.

That's a hard no from me. And I'm not opposed to the idea of trading a first or a top prospect. Just not for Gourde because we want/need retention. That's just awful.

• Keeps it 100 2

My want for Gourde isn't blind enough to want to give up the farm. I do think he might be had for a little less than we are expecting. As for retention, I haven't looked exactly at our cap situation, but his remaining cap hit for this year + the LTIR space we have might make retention unnecessary for the rest of this year. It's next year that would be the problem, but i'll deal with that next year since we just would need to figure something out prior to opening day. No? Tampa has been doing it for years.

If this is correct, think something similar to what it took to get a Copp a couple of years ago, possibly a bit less since his cap hit actually would drive down the asking price a bit.

Copp return for those that might not have remembered. Replace Barron with Jones. 

• 2022-Mar-21 Traded from Winnipeg Jets with round 6 pick in the 2023 draft to New York Rangers for Morgan Barron, conditional round 1 pick in the 2022 draft (Brad Lambert), conditional round 2 pick in the 2022 draft (Elias Salomonsson) and round 5 pick in the 2023 draft

If true, I'd welcome it. Fits that 3C role and can slide up or even slide to a wing. Though he's small,  he's versatile and a proven gamer.

The Rangers can certainly use a utility type player and he fits the bill. Id rather overpay a little for him than to have anything to do with Henrique.

I'm not offering any one of Othmann, Perreault or Schneider. If that's a deal breaker,  then there's no deal.  

I can't be sold on Brodzinski. They need at least 1 center and at least 1 RW. 

I think we can all agree that the traits we would like to see brought in would be any combination of size, speed, volume shooting or a guy that has produced in the playoffs. 

Edited by The Dude