• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Re-Sign Jonny Brodzinski to 2-Year/$1.575M Extension; $787K AAV

The one thing I will say is this, and it doesn’t really have anything to do with Goodrow in general. But the fact that we have Vesey, Brodzinski, Edstrom and potentially (likely?) Rempe in our bottom-6 next year all making under $1M AAV makes Goodrows contract a touch more easy to burden. Not that I want to but it does make it an easier pill to swallow. That whole set up would look a lot easier if we ever were able to move his salary but I don’t know how possible that will be come off-season.

1 hour ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

I like Rempe.  He's big, hits & fights, but doubt he's on the 4th line come playoff time.  Edstrom could be though.  Vesey more than likely will be back on the 4th line after the deadline.

Let them play! 

1 hour ago, Phil said:

One player can definitely make a huge difference on either offense or defense, and Kakko clearly makes a significant impact on the defensive side of any line he plays on. That said, I'm still not sold that C doesn't matter. Getting a RW matters a lot, but the game goes through the middle of the ice. In a war of attrition setting (playoffs), I want strong and reliable centers more than I want talented wingers because quality centers make their wingers. That's rarely true the other way around.

I also think they have the room to address both issues head-on simply by not getting hypnotized by whoever is most expensive (Tarasenko). As an example, Duclair is much cheaper and his speed alone would do a lot to drag the ZIb/Kreider line into the fight more often. I'm more than content trading lesser quality assets for him than going for broke to reunite with Tarasenko, even though I think he's more talented, because it means there's still room to get a center, too.

To clarify, I don't mean that centers don't matter in general.  I mean that on that line, in the middle of Cuylle and Kakko, Brodzinski is fine.  I don't think adding a Wennberg moves the needle.   Brozinski is at .41 ppg pace in 11:28 per night.  Wennberg is .40 in 18:40 per night.  Brodzinski is much better on draws.  I get that Brodzinski doesn't have the track record, but that's not important when the line runs through Kakko.  He can chip in plenty of points to keep pace just by giving Kakko the puck and collecting rebounds.  

• Applause 1

29 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

To clarify, I don't mean that centers don't matter in general.  I mean that on that line, in the middle of Cuylle and Kakko, Brodzinski is fine.  I don't think adding a Wennberg moves the needle.   Brozinski is at .41 ppg pace in 11:28 per night.  Wennberg is .40 in 18:40 per night.  Brodzinski is much better on draws.  I get that Brodzinski doesn't have the track record, but that's not important when the line runs through Kakko.  He can chip in plenty of points to keep pace just by giving Kakko the puck and collecting rebounds.  

I don't really agree with this.

They're going to have a lot of rookies (Cullye, Edstrom, Jones), and Brodz is essentially a rookie as this is the first time he will play this many games in the NHL.

You need insurance. It's not about moving the needle, it's about stability and a safety net. 

Edited by Pete
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

My next question is, is this Drury giving him a vote of confidence for 3C the remainder of the season?

I have been leery about whether this is just a really good stretch of play for him and that line or whether it may be the real deal as a 3rd line. I think we all agree the holes that exist are there and at 1RW. But I wonder if this move at this time signifies that Drury is content with him there and will search more for a 1RW. It’s not as if the market is littered with appealing options and the center market is a place of need for many meaning that the prices will be sky high for marginal pieces (ex: Wennberg). 

Good for Brodzinski, who I have been up and down on. He has a motor and he works hard. He could end up being a better fit for the 3rd line with his hustle than any of the rentals on the market may end up being. And good for the Rangers too if that’s the case. Vesey and Brodzinski both getting rewarded with multi-year deals at dirt cheap AAVs after earning their keep is good.

I think it's smoke and mirrors. Seems like Drury is kinda trying to play it off like the Rangers have their guy locked in. Like other GMs don't see right through it. He's been looking for a C since Chytil got hurt. Jonny Brodzinski isn't the answer. Not long term (rest of season) anyway. 

The Rangers need a 3C and a RW . Maybe 2 of each. Get depth. They can not afford any injuries to a D man, a RW or a C. 

3 hours ago, Long live the King said:

I don't want Wennberg at all, so I agree there. I don't know that I share the same confidence you do in Brodzinski as the full-time (for now/playoffs) third-line center. I think he's a perfect 4C who plays 3C in a pinch (like now) but who you eventually want back down on your fourth line. Kinda like what Goodrow was supposed to be.

Also, Kakko gets hurt a lot, so I'm not really comfortable with the idea of just relying on him being healthy to keep that line going. That's another reason I want a bull of a 3C, because if Kakko goes down again, you've got something reliable to fall back on. Much as I like him, that's not JB.

Just now, Pete said:

The reason they're going after Wennberg is because they actually don't have cap space, and they probably don't want to give up a ton of assets. 

I understand why.

Just don’t fully agree.

They have the space. 

They said they’re all in.

And they’ve earned the right to say so.

They’ve been there all season. 

I think Wennberg is a good player.

Just think they should be looking for better. 

18 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

I understand why.

Just don’t fully agree.

They have the space. 

They said they’re all in.

And they’ve earned the right to say so.

They’ve been there all season. 

I think Wennberg is a good player.

Just think they should be looking for better. 

They Don't have the cap space to add significantly at 3C if they want an upgrade at rightwing where they don't have to sell a bunch of assets to get retention. 

14 minutes ago, Pete said:

They Don't have the cap space to add significantly at 3C if they want an upgrade at rightwing where they don't have to sell a bunch of assets to get retention. 

I get it.

And the market isn’t amazing either. 

It’s interesting to see what they’ll do. 
It’s a tough sea to navigate for them right now. 

1 minute ago, RangersIn7 said:

I get it.

And the market isn’t amazing either. 

It’s interesting to see what they’ll do. 
It’s a tough sea to navigate for them right now. 

Yeah, it'll be interesting as we creep toward the deadline.

I mean I don't hate Wennberg, I don't really want him, but I understand why he's the kind of guy they're going after. It's not without logic behind it. Whether one subscribes to the logic is another story. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Pete said:

Yeah, it'll be interesting as we creep toward the deadline.

I mean I don't hate Wennberg, I don't really want him, but I understand why he's the kind of guy they're going after. It's not without logic behind it. Whether one subscribes to the logic is another story. 

If you said we were going to land a top-6 guy that works at reasonable cost, AND Wennberg at reasonable cost…ok.

Its not awful.

Market is shitty though. 

Unless Drury has something as yet unforeseen brewing. 

• TroCheckmark 1

Yup, the market is absolute trash. If Wennberg costs what rentals are supposed to, so be it. I'd much rather do that than give up a first for fucking Henrique. Not interested in the Paul Gaustad market.

19 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yup, the market is absolute trash. If Wennberg costs what rentals are supposed to, so be it. I'd much rather do that than give up a first for fucking Henrique. Not interested in the Paul Gaustad market.

Paul Gaustad at his best was an excellent 4th line C.

Id love to add a 6’5” 225-230lb. C who can defend, wins 55-60% of faceoffs, skates well for a big man, kills penalties, and plays a heavy, physical game with a sprinkle of offense. 

I wish that player was out there.

7 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Paul Gaustad at his best was an excellent 4th line C.

Id love to add a 6’5” 225-230lb. C who can defend, wins 55-60% of faceoffs, skates well for a big man, kills penalties, and plays a heavy, physical game with a sprinkle of offense. 

I wish that player was out there.

And he was traded for a first-round pick. That's insane. I'm not paying these prices. This market sucks.

Nice little fluff piece article about the Brodz.

https://www.nhl.com/rangers/news/brodzinski-extension-well-deserved

On Wednesday morning, the Rangers announced that forward Jonny Brodzinski inked a two-year extension with the club. The new deal is a testament to Brodzinski’s unwavering work ethic and impact since making the most of his opportunity this season.

“I’m extremely excited,” Brodzinski said following practice on Wednesday afternoon. “I can’t wait to be back for another two years.”

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

Last night was a perfect example of why this guy is the right guy for the third line; he was creating chances and was ever present when on the ice. Sometimes the stat sheet doesn't say it all.

He deserved an assist on the 1st Lafreniere goal. He busted hard off the faceoff to forecheck and caused that turnover.