• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Re-Sign Jonny Brodzinski to 2-Year/$1.575M Extension; $787K AAV

https://www.nhl.com/rangers/news/rangers-agree-to-terms-with-jonny-brodzinski?fbclid=IwAR3Kr1r2gLhiEltbQYb86BPIw_lJpzTHWU_W1V5MXO5u3p9DJ52PW4_XsRI_aem_Ad8qFa7OlirGHuiJ5eGbY8QJot0ERY4_TsKWSEOhTiRclJDx6mJSPORxf0fb_SHUa6U

New York Rangers President and General Manager Chris Drury announced today that the team has agreed to terms with forward Jonny Brodzinski on a two-year contract extension.

• Applause 1

• Phil changed the title to Rangers Re-Sign Jonny Brodzinski to 2-Year/$1.575M Extension; $787K AAV

Not necessarily, but I'd be thinking hard about moving off Goodrow this summer (buyout if you can't trade) and getting Brodzinski in at 4C going forward. He brings all the same leadership qualities that Barclay does but at a fraction of the price. He apparently killed penalties for HFD, too, so he can probably backfill that role as well.

• Keeps it 100 1

5 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

It says one-way, so he can't ever go back down, right? I'm almost positive that Goodrow is going to be gone one way or another this offseason.

No. It just means that his AHL salary is equivalent to his NHL salary. One-way or two-way contracts have nothing to do with waivers.

• Thanks 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

Just now, Drew a Penalty said:

No. It just means that his AHL salary is equivalent to his NHL salary. One-way or two-way contracts have nothing to do with waivers.

Ah, OK. This is awesome for him, though, and he's totally deserved it. Really been a true professional since coming here.

31 minutes ago, Phil said:

This is great for him and for the team. At that price point, there's zero harm to this kind of extension, because worst case scenario, he goes right back to captaining Hartford.

I read the deal was a one-way deal for both years. Does that impact anything with him in the AHL or waivers or anything of the sort if he ever went back down?

Nevermind. See it was already mentioned in earlier reply.

Edited by RichieNextel305

Just now, RichieNextel305 said:

I read the deal was a one-way deal for both years.

One-way versus two-way only affects salary. Just means he makes his NHL salary in the AHL, too, if he's sent down. He'd require waivers, to be clear.

• Cheers 1

My next question is, is this Drury giving him a vote of confidence for 3C the remainder of the season?

I have been leery about whether this is just a really good stretch of play for him and that line or whether it may be the real deal as a 3rd line. I think we all agree the holes that exist are there and at 1RW. But I wonder if this move at this time signifies that Drury is content with him there and will search more for a 1RW. It’s not as if the market is littered with appealing options and the center market is a place of need for many meaning that the prices will be sky high for marginal pieces (ex: Wennberg). 

Good for Brodzinski, who I have been up and down on. He has a motor and he works hard. He could end up being a better fit for the 3rd line with his hustle than any of the rentals on the market may end up being. And good for the Rangers too if that’s the case. Vesey and Brodzinski both getting rewarded with multi-year deals at dirt cheap AAVs after earning their keep is good.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

My next question is, is this Drury giving him a vote of confidence for 3C the remainder of the season?

I have been leery about whether this is just a really good stretch of play for him and that line or whether it may be the real deal as a 3rd line. I think we all agree the holes that exist are there and at 1RW. But I wonder if this move at this time signifies that Drury is content with him there and will search more for a 1RW. It’s not as if the market is littered with appealing options and the center market is a place of need for many meaning that the prices will be sky high for marginal pieces (ex: Wennberg). 

Good for Brodzinski, who I have been up and down on. He has a motor and he works hard. He could end up being a better fit for the 3rd line with his hustle than any of the rentals on the market may end up being. And good for the Rangers too if that’s the case. Vesey and Brodzinski both getting rewarded with multi-year deals at dirt cheap AAVs after earning their keep is good.

I mean, it's a small sample size. The third line looks great right now, but I find it hard to buy the idea that a journeyman center with 4 goals and 15 points in nearly 40 games this season can't be upgraded on. So, vote of confidence? Feels like a step too far. That's what the two-year security/term is for.

No risk, high reward. Vesey got the 2-year deal and has repaid it in spades. Brodz can do the same.

Tampa had success because they found great value for depth pieces. Yeah we overpaid for Goodrow but to have depth pieces on the cheap like this, its a good thing. Now Brodz can focus on contributing to a winning team, not, what do i gotta do to earn another pro-contract. 

• Cheers 1

Good for him, he earned it.  It's a win/win contract for sure.  I hope the kid keeps playing like he has and sticks with the club for the next few years.  We need more guys like him that hustle and break their ass every game.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Phil said:

I mean, it's a small sample size. The third line looks great right now, but I find it hard to buy the idea that a journeyman center with 4 goals and 15 points in nearly 40 games this season can't be upgraded on. So, vote of confidence? Feels like a step too far. That's what the two-year security/term is for.

I used to feel this way too, but honestly, I don't think the C matters much.  Cuylle is gonna Cuylle no matter what.  The difference maker is Kakko.

I was posted that the Rangers 3rd in GA/G (2.45) when Kakko was healthy, and dropped to 21st (3.29) when he was out.  I was told one player doesn't make that big of a difference, but since he's been healthy they are back to 4th (2.47).  On top of that Kakko has the 3rd line scoring just as much as the Trochek line at EV strength.  

RW is a much bigger need.

5 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

I used to feel this way too, but honestly, I don't think the C matters much.  Cuylle is gonna Cuylle no matter what.  The difference maker is Kakko.

I was posted that the Rangers 3rd in GA/G (2.45) when Kakko was healthy, and dropped to 21st (3.29) when he was out.  I was told one player doesn't make that big of a difference, but since he's been healthy they are back to 4th (2.47).  On top of that Kakko has the 3rd line scoring just as much as the Trochek line at EV strength.  

RW is a much bigger need.

One player can definitely make a huge difference on either offense or defense, and Kakko clearly makes a significant impact on the defensive side of any line he plays on. That said, I'm still not sold that C doesn't matter. Getting a RW matters a lot, but the game goes through the middle of the ice. In a war of attrition setting (playoffs), I want strong and reliable centers more than I want talented wingers because quality centers make their wingers. That's rarely true the other way around.

I also think they have the room to address both issues head-on simply by not getting hypnotized by whoever is most expensive (Tarasenko). As an example, Duclair is much cheaper and his speed alone would do a lot to drag the ZIb/Kreider line into the fight more often. I'm more than content trading lesser quality assets for him than going for broke to reunite with Tarasenko, even though I think he's more talented, because it means there's still room to get a center, too.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Slobberknocker said:

where is this get rid of goodrow coming from?  guys been a total pro here and does so many things so well.  3. w/e looks like a manageable deal to me.

He makes $3.6 million dollars to be a replacement level offensive player with crater-level defensive metrics. His best quality is his leadership (from what we've been told) and his willingness to play physical and fight. That's a lot of money to pay for a player like that when cap room is so tight and players need raises. His deal was manageable, but it's less so to case now relative to the team's biggest needs. Also, his deal is uniquely structured in that a buyout this summer would actually give them a cap credit next season.

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/barclay-goodrow

12 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Wow, that's almost too convenient. lol Perfect timing for a buyout this summer. 

Look at the cap hit for the lear after.  A buyout fucks them, no matter what.

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

Look at the cap hit for the lear after.  A buyout fucks them, no matter what.

It's one year of ugly, but it's mostly very manageable. For the record, I'd be looking to trade first, but barring that, I'm not opposed to this if it means the difference between being able to retain all their assets and still upgrade where they feel they can in free agency.

I like Goodrow. I defended him from day one, but $3.6 million for a fourth-line center who the coach won't even play up in the lineup in a pinch is just bad asset management.

A better way to put this all is like this: I'm not saying they need to do this. I'm saying if they need the breathing room, I think they're entirely justified doing so if no trade can be made. I'm not letting an incredibly expensive fourth-line player prevent me from retaining my own players who play ahead of him, or allowing it to keep me out of a competitive free agent market.

• Like 1