• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Impressive Braden Schneider Facing Rangers Ceiling as He Seeks 'Next Level'

Phil

Head coach Peter Laviolette has been impressed by Schneider’s evolution in what is still only the defenseman’s second full season in the league. It often seems as if Schneider has been here forever and not only just 25 months. He has been a staple in the lineup and on the right side of the third pair since his recall and debut in San Jose on Jan. 13, 2022.

“I thought he played really well with more minutes, more responsibility and sometimes harder minutes and harder opponents,” Laviolette said. “It was really good to see him step up inside of that and play big minutes.

“He did a really good job in the absence of Jacob. Troubs is an awfully hard guy to replace because of his physicality. He brings a lot to the table with his leadership in the room. But it’s the way he defends, his attitude, his physical presence. That’s necessary and needed inside of our lineup. So I thought Schneids went up there and did a good job.”

Schneider, who is coming up on restricted free agency out of his entry-level deal, has a frozen glass ceiling above him on the right side of the blue line in Adam Fox and Trouba. When adding Schneider to the mix, the depth chart scared off Nils Lundkvist. There is, though, a natural order on the right side and Schneider is aware of it and the challenge it presents.

“Foxy and Trouba, they are world-class players. They play their game and they play it amazingly. It’s hard to try and break that up, if that’s the right way to say it, but that’s not my goal,’ Schneider said. “They’re great players in their own right but definitely I want to try and find ways to involve myself in the game more and to help our team win, whatever that may be.

“I want to make sure I’m creating some competitiveness between the three of us, for sure.”

https://nypost.com/2024/02/12/sports/braden-schneider-facing-rangers-ceiling-as-he-seeks-next-level/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=nypost_sitebuttons

• Like 1

Just now, Pete said:

He needs more ice time, Trouba needs less.  This is an easily manageable situation. 

This. You can see it coming. Especially if Miller-Trouba continue to struggle as a pair.

I thought he looked like ass for a good portion of the first half of the season, but he's really improved. Sometimes we forget how young some of these players are. Defensemen traditionally take longer to develop, and he's, what, only 22 or so? He'll be fine. He's also shown flashes of being excellent on the offensive side too.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

4 minutes ago, Slobberknocker said:

Its a nice problem to have.  we should have more of them.

Hey Slobby!!  How ya been dude! 

Yeah man, we'll have plenty of them if we don't get impatient and trade them away too soon!  LOL

Schneider has been playing well. I think a good part of that is a partner in Gus who is better than a 3rd pairing guy. Schneider is starting to blossom with a better partner.

Screenshot-2024-02-13-at-11-57-31-AM.png

Gus and Fox are a monster pairing (contrast that with Fox-Lindgren). Gus gets the best out of Schneider. Gus is good.

• TroCheckmark 1

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

Schneider has been playing well. I think a good part of that is a partner in Gus who is better than a 3rd pairing guy. Schneider is starting to blossom with a better partner.

Screenshot-2024-02-13-at-11-57-31-AM.png

Gus and Fox are a monster pairing (contrast that with Fox-Lindgren). Gus gets the best out of Schneider. Gus is good.

That sample size is far too small to have any opinion on it.

• Keeps it 100 1

18 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

And Gus ain't coming back as cheap as we got him this year

Nope, but then again he put up 42 points in 70 games on 20 min a night last year and then only got $800k. He's tracking for 36 points on 17 min a night here. It's not much different. I don't think it's ridiculous to think you could get him extended for a couple years at 2-2.5 max. If I were Drury, I'd be talking with him now about it like how he did with Vesey.

• Keeps it 100 1

2 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Nope, but then again he put up 42 points in 70 games on 20 min a night last year and then only got $800k. He's tracking for 36 points on 17 min a night here. It's not much different. I don't think it's ridiculous to think you could get him extended for a couple years at 2-2.5 max. If I were Drury, I'd be talking with him now about it like how he did with Vesey.

I would think he could get more money and a larger role in free agency.

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

That sample size is far too small to have any opinion on it.

I wouldn't extract a strong or concrete opinion from it, but the opinion I would draw from it is that it's about 5 or 6 games worth of 5v5 TOI and indicates it should probably be pursued more to find out.

Ultimately, it's not that sample size that drives a change. It's the Fox-Lindgren sample size. That pairing is not working that well anymore, so look at indicators for how the lineup could be changed. What would I try first?

Gus-Fox

Miller-Schneider

Lindgren-Trouba

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

13 minutes ago, Pete said:

I would think he could get more money and a larger role in free agency.

Flat cap last season. No money to be had in basically every desirable destination.

Not going to be the same case this coming summer.

He can go to market and do well for himself. And he should.

Looking back on his contract history, he’s never had more than a 2 year deal anywhere, nor has he ever made more than $3 million in a season. 

He can absolutely do better than that for himself this summer. 

38 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Flat cap last season. No money to be had in basically every desirable destination.

Not going to be the same case this coming summer.

He can go to market and do well for himself. And he should.

Looking back on his contract history, he’s never had more than a 2 year deal anywhere, nor has he ever made more than $3 million in a season. 

He can absolutely do better than that for himself this summer. 

I don’t think it’s a slam dunk that teams will be throwing out big dollars for him. No matter how good I think he’s been for the Rangers, he’s a 32 year old journeyman defenseman and there’s a good argument that exists which says it’s a product of playing for Lavi. Some guys fit with certain coaches and it can’t be replicated elsewhere.

It only takes one team to throw money at him though, so we’ll see. I still think a 2-3 year extension at $2-2.5M per would get it done. If Drury offered him that now, Gus would quite frankly be nuts to turn it down. He’s never really cashed in. He turns that down and blows his ACL out then what?

2 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I don’t think it’s a slam dunk that teams will be throwing out big dollars for him. No matter how good I think he’s been for the Rangers, he’s a 32 year old journeyman defenseman and there’s a good argument that exists which says it’s a product of playing for Lavi. Some guys fit with certain coaches and it can’t be replicated elsewhere.

It only takes one team to throw money at him though, so we’ll see. I still think a 2-3 year extension at $2-2.5M per would get it done. If Drury offered him that now, Gus would quite frankly be nuts to turn it down. He’s never really cashed in. He turns that down and blows his ACL out then what?

He could be had for cheaper IMO. Double what he makes now. 

28 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I don’t disagree with that either.

And the numbers you’re throwing out there are in line of what at least I would envision for him.

3 years.

Somewhere in the $2-3 million range.

Maybe even some limited trade protection if he likes it here and takes a bit less. 

And to be clear, I don’t think he goes out and gets huge dollars for an extended term.

My point was simply that, as you said, he’s 32. He’s never made big money. He’s never had a longer-term deal.

This is his shot at a nicer payday and at least a few seasons of guaranteed paychecks. 
Having never had those things, I gotta believe he’d be really looking for that.

And look… had a nice season last year. Doing well this year too.

Hopefully he gets himself some paper. 

38 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

4 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

I don’t disagree with that either.

And the numbers you’re throwing out there are in line of what at least I would envision for him.

3 years.

Somewhere in the $2-3 million range.

Maybe even some limited trade protection if he likes it here and takes a bit less. 

And to be clear, I don’t think he goes out and gets huge dollars for an extended term.

My point was simply that, as you said, he’s 32. He’s never made big money. He’s never had a longer-term deal.

This is his shot at a nicer payday and at least a few seasons of guaranteed paychecks. 
Having never had those things, I gotta believe he’d be really looking for that.

And look… had a nice season last year. Doing well this year too.

Hopefully he gets himself some paper. 

He'd be doing himself a disservice by not at least exploring UFA as a reliable right-handed defenseman. All teams want that.

I'm not saying he leaves or gets a huge deal, I'm saying I believe he'll test the market.

43 minutes ago, Pete said:

He'd be doing himself a disservice by not at least exploring UFA as a reliable right-handed defenseman. All teams want that.

I'm not saying he leaves or gets a huge deal, I'm saying I believe he'll test the market.

Gus is a lefty

Are we talking about someone else and I missed it?

1 hour ago, Pete said:

The Wire Laugh GIF