• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Islanders Fire Head Coach Lane Lambert; Patrick Roy Hired as Head Coach

• RichieNextel305 changed the title to Islanders Fire Head Coach Lane Lambert; Patrick Roy Hired as Head Coach
Just now, siddious said:

I mean lambert wasn’t exactly great but he’s not the issue there.

at least Roy will be fun to watch 

I love it when the GM fires the coach of the craptastic roster he assembled. 

• Like 1

@siddious While true, they needed a foundational change. Roy is a loud mouthed, rah-rah guy. If anything, it will provide a short term jolt for them.

I just think that core is past it’s expiration date. They had a few good kicks at the can while they were younger. They didn’t finish. Why believe it can happen now with them all past their primes? Barzal and Horvat are nice pieces but…

This is not what I expected. I expected Lambert to go eventually. I didn’t see Roy being someone Lou would hire.

Edited by RichieNextel305

1 minute ago, RichieNextel305 said:

@siddious While true, they needed a foundational change. Roy is a loud mouthed, rah-rah guy. If anything, it will provide a short term jolt for them.

I just think that core is past it’s expiration date. They had a few good kicks at the can while they were younger. They didn’t finish. Why believe it can happen now with them all past their primes? Barzal and Horvat are nice pieces but…

This is not what I expected. I expected Lambert to go eventually. I didn’t see Roy being someone Lou would hire.

I never thought Roy would be the kind of person to work for Lou. 

• Keeps it 100 2

5 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

This is Lou’s last shot, Isles don’t turn it around he’ll be done-zo 

I hate to bring the fanbase into it, but I think Lou knew he had to something, ANYTHING, here for them. And the locker room. But this season has been a mess for them. They have won 15 games. It’s January.

He was staring at an empty UBS Arena in the second half.

Edited by RichieNextel305

It's a pretty smart move by Lou to be honest. Fiery coach to get a team ho humming its way to mediocrity. If it does nothing, the team is likely getting dismantled after the year anyway for as much as they can at least. 

besdies, at the very least we get to watch Roy pull the goalie down 3 for the start of the third period. 

• Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, Keirik said:

It's a pretty smart move by Lou to be honest. Fiery coach to get a team ho humming its way to mediocrity. If it does nothing, the team is likely getting dismantled after the year anyway for as much as they can at least. 

besdies, at the very least we get to watch Roy pull the goalie down 3 for the start of the third period. 

You think barzal is traded at the deadline? Horvat? This team needs a Serious rebuild 

Just now, siddious said:

You think barzal is traded at the deadline? Horvat? This team needs a Serious rebuild 

None of them. But they do have the old guard of Martin and Clutterbuck gone after this year. A few other guys with modified no trade clauses that are tradeable with retention like Palmieri, Nelson,  Pageau or Lee as long as they are willing to do retention.  The game has really passed Lou by but I'm sure there are a few idiotic teams still that might help him out a bit in his swan song. 

Love this. He and Torts certainly bring a no BS allowed here attitude to their rooms.  That's right up until the teams tune them out.  Going to be fun watching this guy lose it behind the bench the rest of the season.  Lou should of been gone a couple of years ago, at a minimum. Maybe when the cap was instituted.🤣

Edited by jsrangers

9 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

I think it's too early to pull the plug on that Islanders team. They are right there in the playoff hunt, and Sorokin has a lot more to give.

P.S. - Roy would have been my Rangers coaching pick after Knob.

Two very distinct different directions but I agree with Roy. This team needs to feel uncomfortable and someone of that ilk has the ability to do that.

16 hours ago, siddious said:

I hope he’s a disaster but I wouldn’t be surprised if he was a really good coach for them. 

I think in the short term he will be. It’s a veteran group that badly needed a jump.

That said, like others have said, Lou built a flawed team. 

3 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

Two very distinct different directions but I agree with Roy. This team needs to feel uncomfortable and someone of that ilk has the ability to do that.

The idea was that they had both been working with younger players and could help the team develop/integrate young players within the current roster, and turn the page with the next wave of youth. But the direction would have been clear: no more kowtowing the vets.

• Cheers 1