• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Potential Deadline Trades to Match 93–94

1 hour ago, siddious said:

Some of us haven’t seen any Ozzy. 

Sad Season 4 GIF by The Office

Coming soon!!  Hang in there Pete!  At least you didn't have to be in Jr High when the Isles were a fucking dynasty!  Ugh, that was painful!

Good thing!!! The therapy is starting to work!  LOL

8 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Coming soon!!  Hang in there Pete!  At least you didn't have to be in Jr High when the Isles were a fucking dynasty!  Ugh, that was painful!

Good thing!!! The therapy is starting to work!  LOL

True especially now that I live out here. I dread the isles ever getting good 

4 minutes ago, siddious said:

True especially now that I live out here. I dread the isles ever getting good 

Walking down the hall behind some jerk off that has an Islander tee shirt saying "Stanley Cup Champions 1980-1983" with all the cups lined up and the players pictures on his back.

Yeah, like I don't still see that in my sleep!  ....40 years later!  LOL

2 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

They didn’t need to make ALL those trades.

I think Matteau and Noonan were essential. 
MacTavish is debatable.

Anderson was a waste of Mike Gartner.

Always liked Mike Gartner. Had a wicked shot

Edited by Ducky

3 hours ago, Blue Heaven said:

F@#K man, still pisses me off that Gartner didnt get to raise the Cup as a NYR.  He was having such a good year, and had the rug pulled out from under him.  I don't recall any rumors of him on the trade market.  

Yeah. I really feel for him on that.

He pretty much got screwed.

He was having a 30-35 goal, 60-65 point season. Playing well in all situations.

I don’t know what it was like behind the scenes, but he seemed to buy in and comply with Keenan on the ice. 
I was only like 14, but I thought Gartner was very good and very disciplined that year.

A lot of people don’t remember this, but he killed penalties that year. Keenan used him on the PK, for the first time in 2-3 seasons, cause Neilson didn’t, and he had 5 SHG’s for them. Tied for 2’nd in the league. 
And if I remember correctly, at least 1 of them either won or tied a game late.

And he was VERY GOOD for Toronto down the stretch and in the playoffs that season, even if the offensive numbers aren’t eye popping. 
He fit in quickly in a good team, and was a factor and contributor.

But… Keenan didn’t like him.

Neither did Mess too much.

So out he went for empty uniform Glenn Anderson. 
Who skated like he had 10 pounds of shit in his pants. Even when he was young. 

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Walking down the hall behind some jerk off that has an Islander tee shirt saying "Stanley Cup Champions 1980-1983" with all the cups lined up and the players pictures on his back.

Yeah, like I don't still see that in my sleep!  ....40 years later!  LOL

That was one of the greatest runs of all time.  We got to see it from a warped perspective but for a while there the Isles had the best C, RW and D-man in the NHL.  

17 hours ago, Pete said:
17 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

It really depends on who you talk to.  I think they win without the trades in 93/94 and are better in the long run without the trades

They didn't need MacT or Anderson. I'd argue Matteau/Noonan were pretty important players.

Yeah, it's impossible to be confident either way of course. 

We have to look at those trades in context of the league that year. Two teams were the class of the league; the Rangers and the Devils. The points difference in the regular season, I believe, was simply that the Rangers won all head to heads with the Devils. But they were tough, physical, even games. 

The feeling in the room at the time was that, for the Rangers, the cup went through the Devils. They knew they would have to beat them, and they knew that series would be total war both physically and mentally. So Keenan was absolutely adamant that they needed battled hardened, grizzled veterans and tough guys who could deal with what was to come. 

I mean, who knows. Maybe if they keep Amonte and Gartner they skate rings around the Devils and just outscore them. But, whatever you think of the trades, you have to say their idea of what that series was going to be like certainly came true. The Gartner for Anderson trade obviously looks brutal and the McT trade not much better. I don't think it's crazy to suggest those guys were important dressing room guys considering everything the Rangers have to go through to finally break the curse. Although the counter argument to that is that they already had a really strong leadership group. 

We'll never know if they win without the trades or not, but they certainly left them in a worse position in the long run. Whatever you think, it was worth it though. 

Edited by Gravesy
  • VINNY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

Fun thread, but you're ignoring all the ex-Oilers on the 1994 team.  Ignoring contracts and salary cap, ex-Oilers approximation in parentheses.

In the off-season, Stamkos (Messier), Maroon (Tikkanen), Palat (Anderson), Sergachev (Lowe) sign with the Rangers to try and recapture their glory with the Lightning.

From there, construct your roster (picking and choosing current Rangers).    THEN, you can think about trades.

• Applause 1

1 hour ago, fletch said:

Fun thread, but you're ignoring all the ex-Oilers on the 1994 team.  Ignoring contracts and salary cap, ex-Oilers approximation in parentheses.

In the off-season, Stamkos (Messier), Maroon (Tikkanen), Palat (Anderson), Sergachev (Lowe) sign with the Rangers to try and recapture their glory with the Lightning.

From there, construct your roster (picking and choosing current Rangers).    THEN, you can think about trades.

Crazy to think that could happen. If MacDonagh is somehow involved in the trades to complete the process; IM IN!!

1 hour ago, fletch said:

Not going to happen because of cap.  The '94 team had no cap to deal with.

Those trades were driven by the coach.  He wanted his guys.  Keenan bugged Smith to no end.  Smith gave in and it worked.  If our current coach wanted guys that bad, or had some he felt needed to go...I'd trust him. In general terms he gave up some scoring for grit.  This team looks a little the opposite no?

12 hours ago, fletch said:

Played with Capfriendly with focus on Lightning during the Cup run.  Ignored no move clauses - otherwise this roster would never happen.  Came up with -

Ondrej Palat - Zib - Stamkos

Panarin - Trocheck - Laf

Cuylle - Tyler Motte - Vesey

Othmann - Bonino - Pat Maroon

Figuring out the cap implications when Kakko comes back was beyond my level.

Unfortunately, I am assuming Chytil is done (at least for the year) until proven differently.

Basically, I sacrificed Kreider and Goodrow to afford Stamkos and Palat.

Maroon for Wheeler wasn't needed, but part of stated goal to get more former Lightning on roster.

All the no move causes make this impossible.

Edited by fletch

On 1/5/2024 at 9:55 AM, RJWantsTheCup said:

The current trades make me as sick as the 93-94 ones do and Zibanejad for Tavares is probably a better trade than Gartner for Anderson was.  Anderson was done when the Rangers got him.

This one always bothered me the most.  Some people act like Anderson was a great addition.  The Rangers were in dire shape until they kicked Anderson off Messier's line and replaced him with Kolalev.  Gartner still had gas in the tank (and jets in the skates).

• VINNY! 1