• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Potential Deadline Trades to Match 93–94

The purpose here is to make the equivalent deadline trades with today's team as the 93/94 cup winning team. 

Tony Amonte to the Chicago Blackhawks for Stephan Matteau and Brian Noonan= Brennan Othmann to the Chicago Blackhawks for Tyler Johnson and Nick Foligno

Mike Gartner to the Toronto Maple Leafs for Glenn Anderson= Mika Zibanejad to the Toronto Maple Leafs for John Tavares

Todd Marchant to the Edmonton Oilers for Craig MacTavish= Will Cuylle to the Edmonton Oilers for Sam Gagner

I tried to do this current trade with the same teams as 93/94 which proved a bit futile because those rosters are kind of void of the equivalence however I think for what was available, this is pretty close. It doesn't have to be the same teams; let's see the explanations for other players around the league as well.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

The purpose here is to make the equivalent deadline trades with today's team as the 93/94 cup winning team. 

Tony Amonte to the Chicago Blackhawks for Stephan Matteau and Brian Noonan= Brennan Othmann to the Chicago Blackhawks for Tyler Johnson and Nick Foligno

Mike Gartner to the Toronto Maple Leafs for Glenn Anderson= Mika Zibanejad to the Toronto Maple Leafs for John Tavares

Todd Marchant to the Edmonton Oilers for Craig MacTavish= Will Cuylle to the Edmonton Oilers for Sam Gagner

I tried to do this current trade with the same teams as 93/94 which proved a bit futile because those rosters are kind of void of the equivalence however I think for what was available, this is pretty close. It doesn't have to be the same teams; let's see the explanations for other players around the league as well.

Might want to outline the parameters considering all of those trades in 93-94 were made for players with cup experience. 

Is that a guideline?

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

Might want to outline the parameters considering all of those trades in 93-94 were made for players with cup experience. 

Is that a guideline?

I wanted to leave that up to the poster. It gets tough when trying to match player stats and cup experience because those rosters for the other teams were tough to find equivalents. I feel like it will be much easier delving outside of Edmonton, Chicago and Toronto for those specific parameters. But regardless....choose the parameters and explain why those choices. Mine were strictly on points and career experience equivalence with the teams the initial trades were made with.

• Cheers 1

• Phil changed the title to Potential Deadline Trades to Match 93–94
59 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Those current trades make me throw up in my mouth a little........

• LOL 1
  • VINNY! 2
  • Keeps it 100 4

Fun idea. I'll just pretend NMCs don't exist for the Mike Gartner equivalent, because it's kind of limited to either Zibanejad or Kreider as rough trade value equivalent.

Tony Amonte to the Chicago Blackhawks for Stephan Matteau and Brian Noonan = Alexis Lafreniere to Montreal for Josh Anderson and Sean Monahan

Mike Gartner to the Toronto Maple Leafs for Glenn Anderson = Mika Zibanejad to Tampa for Steven Stamkos 

Todd Marchant to the Edmonton Oilers for Craig MacTavish = Adam Edstrom to Pittsburgh for Lars Eller

1 hour ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

The current trades make me as sick as the 93-94 ones do and Zibanejad for Tavares is probably a better trade than Gartner for Anderson was.  Anderson was done when the Rangers got him.

This was kind of the point. Like it doesn't look pretty and may be unpopular BUT it worked. Was the chemistry on the 93/94 team as good as it is today? I was 6 so I don't remember much from then.

7 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

This was kind of the point. Like it doesn't look pretty and may be unpopular BUT it worked. Was the chemistry on the 93/94 team as good as it is today? I was 6 so I don't remember much from then.

It really depends on who you talk to.  I think they win without the trades in 93/94 and are better in the long run without the trades

17 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

It really depends on who you talk to.  I think they win without the trades in 93/94 and are better in the long run without the trades

They didn't need MacT or Anderson. I'd argue Matteau/Noonan were pretty important players.

18 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

The Rangers were making those trades to get over the top.

If you're not a certain age you never experienced the "1940" chants.  That was ending that year and they went all in to do it.

Also, do a search on NHL and Corruption and you'll get an eyeful of how ridiculously bad the scams were for the original 6 through 1965 or so.

2 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

They didn’t need to make ALL those trades.

I think Matteau and Noonan were essential. 
MacTavish is debatable.

Anderson was a waste of Mike Gartner.

• VINNY! 1

36 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

MacTavish is debatable.

It’s impossible to know what would’ve happened if they didn’t make the trades.  

40 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

MacTavish is debatable.

Keenan hated Gartner, that was the only reason Gartner was traded.

11 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Oh 100%

But I don’t think Mess was a fan of his either. 

F@#K man, still pisses me off that Gartner didnt get to raise the Cup as a NYR.  He was having such a good year, and had the rug pulled out from under him.  I don't recall any rumors of him on the trade market.