• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

M-v-panarin: Breadman Hart Trophy Watch

RichieNextel305

We can all admit it: we were really disappointed in Panarins playoff last year. And by we, he can be lumped in to that grouping as well. It was simply inexcusable. I think he hit a point in his Ranger marriage that, even though he was producing at a top-tier level, he may have gotten a little too comfortable in his own skin and a little to lax in the way he was approaching big spots.

I know there are some saying that we have to wait to see how he does in the playoffs this time around, and that’s okay too. If that’s how how you feel, that’s how you feel. But in the meantime, throw the man the flowers he deserves: he is one of the lead horses in an MVP race right now. 

I have no problems admitting that during the playoffs last year, I was ready to excommunicate him to a private island for the duration of his lifetime. I said things in the heat of the moment. But man, has he ever looked better than he does right now? He is a threat literally every single shift. Nevermind trying to remember games this year where he hasn’t been up to snuff; I’m having a hard time remembering a shift where he hasn’t been buzzing. You can’t ask for a better response to a bad ending last year than what he has done this year to this point. 

Jaromir Jagr in 2005-06 has long been the guy I’ve always said had the best single season of any Ranger I had ever seen. Guys like Gaborik and Nash had monster years here where it seemed like they had stretches of dominance (particularly on some lousy NYR teams) but not like Jagr back then. Hell, even Panarin has had a few big years here. But nothing like this. This is right there with Jagr for best I have seen here. And through 35 games, he’s on the same pace as Jagr as far as goals go. 23 through 35 games. So the question can be asked, the same as it was 2 years ago, can he keep pace and go for the Ranger single season record? Can he also stay on track and do what Jagr didn’t do that season (robbery still) and take home the Hart Trophy?

Hes one of 3 guys with 50+ points, and stands 9 off Kucherov for the league lead. He’s top-4 in goals with 23. If he stays on this pace and he keeps pushing this team to greater heights and we end up finishing at the top of the East, it’ll be hard to take it away from him. Especially if other teams (Kucherov/TB) struggle to even make it into the dance.

Regardless, the point of this is simple: he has been absolutely insane. The man is on a mission. And to see the guy rededicate his commitment to his game and this team has been something that everyone, even those angered by what unfolded in the Devils series, has really been something to see.

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • BREAD! 1
  • Applause 1

• RichieNextel305 changed the title to M-v-panarin: Breadman Hart Trophy Watch

We should also take this time to punch the receipts...how many times have folks here said "Only the Panarin line is going"... So that later on when people are trying to justify trading him and we say "this team doesn't make the playoffs without him", we can put an end to the "you don't know that" nonsense.

Yea, we do. And they don't. 

Edited by Pete
  • Keeps it 100 1

6 minutes ago, siddious said:

I’m waiting for the playoffs to give him credit for anything’s regular season means nothing to me anymore. 

Well it should mean something, because it does mean something, because if it didn't mean anything then it wouldn't be the device that gets you to the playoffs.

And they don't make the playoffs without him. 

It's just a convenient place to hide for those who don't want to walk back the silly stance of "trade him" based on one postseason where everybody but Shesterkin was bad. 

Simply put, this team would probably be on the bubble without him. So if you can't give him credit for what he's doing, then that seems extremely ridiculous with some lingering butt hurt mixed in. 

Edited by Pete

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Well it should mean something, because it does mean something, because if it didn't mean anything then it wouldn't be the device that gets you to the playoffs.

And they don't make the playoffs without him. 

It's just a convenient place to hide for those who don't want to walk back the silly stance of "trade him" based on one postseason where everybody but Shesterkin was bad. 

That’s nice. I hope he enjoys his hart trophy. I want a Stanley cup. 

2 minutes ago, siddious said:

I’m waiting for the playoffs to give him credit for anything’s regular season means nothing to me anymore. 

He deserves some credit for being fun to watch during the long season, and it's been that way since he signed the contract, but I agree 100% that it's meaningless until it's seen when it matters.

I’m not denying that a large contingent of this fanbase is right to feel the way they do with the mindset of waiting to see how he does in the playoffs. Because the fact of the matter is that as a Ranger, he’s left a lot to be desired in the playoffs. And considering that he has a Game 7 OT goal on his resume, that’s saying something.

That being said, nothing wrong with also enjoying the ride and hoping he goes into the playoffs with the same mindset as he has gone into this season with, and that’s to be the most dominant player on the ice every game.

4 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I’m not denying that a large contingent of this fanbase is right to feel the way they do with the mindset of waiting to see how he does in the playoffs. Because the fact of the matter is that as a Ranger, he’s left a lot to be desired in the playoffs. And considering that he has a Game 7 OT goal on his resume, that’s saying something.

That being said, nothing wrong with also enjoying the ride and hoping he goes into the playoffs with the same mindset as he has gone into this season with, and that’s to be the most dominant player on the ice every game.

It's exactly this. It's totally possible to appreciate his 56 goal, 115-point pace right now, while also acknowledging that he needs to deliver in the playoffs.

But to sit there and say the regular season "doesn't matter" is being deliberately obtuse. 

2 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

We can all admit it: we were really disappointed in Panarins playoff last year. And by we, he can be lumped in to that grouping as well. It was simply inexcusable. I think he hit a point in his Ranger marriage that, even though he was producing at a top-tier level, he may have gotten a little too comfortable in his own skin and a little to lax in the way he was approaching big spots.

I know there are some saying that we have to wait to see how he does in the playoffs this time around, and that’s okay too. If that’s how how you feel, that’s how you feel. But in the meantime, throw the man the flowers he deserves: he is one of the lead horses in an MVP race right now. 

I have no problems admitting that during the playoffs last year, I was ready to excommunicate him to a private island for the duration of his lifetime. I said things in the heat of the moment. But man, has he ever looked better than he does right now? He is a threat literally every single shift. Nevermind trying to remember games this year where he hasn’t been up to snuff; I’m having a hard time remembering a shift where he hasn’t been buzzing. You can’t ask for a better response to a bad ending last year than what he has done this year to this point. 

Jaromir Jagr in 2005-06 has long been the guy I’ve always said had the best single season of any Ranger I had ever seen. Guys like Gaborik and Nash had monster years here where it seemed like they had stretches of dominance (particularly on some lousy NYR teams) but not like Jagr back then. Hell, even Panarin has had a few big years here. But nothing like this. This is right there with Jagr for best I have seen here. And through 35 games, he’s on the same pace as Jagr as far as goals go. 23 through 35 games. So the question can be asked, the same as it was 2 years ago, can he keep pace and go for the Ranger single season record? Can he also stay on track and do what Jagr didn’t do that season (robbery still) and take home the Hart Trophy?

Hes one of 3 guys with 50+ points, and stands 9 off Kucherov for the league lead. He’s top-4 in goals with 23. If he stays on this pace and he keeps pushing this team to greater heights and we end up finishing at the top of the East, it’ll be hard to take it away from him. Especially if other teams (Kucherov/TB) struggle to even make it into the dance.

Regardless, the point of this is simple: he has been absolutely insane. The man is on a mission. And to see the guy rededicate his commitment to his game and this team has been something that everyone, even those angered by what unfolded in the Devils series, has really been something to see.

Keep in mind last year‘s team was a different team different coach. The players were not completely motivated this whole change of players they brought in March, including Patrick Kane disrupted the chemistry. I thought the Rangers were fine to the end of February early March last year, and then you started to hear the rumors about Patrick Kane and all that stuff it distracted the team, plus Galant thought he could just rely on talent and the Rangers would get through. It didn’t work. This year is completely different and the bread man is possessed. He’s playing really well. The Rangers seem to have the right chemistry. I don’t think they should mess with that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it let’s go Rangers. 
Ranger Ed 

Pretending like it was "one bad playoff" is entirely inaccurate. It's two bad playoffs. It's all his playoff play as a Ranger. 

He looks like he's putting himself in position for a truly special season. He's playing on a level that makes him, arguably, a top 3 player on the planet. It sure would be sweet to cement that with a good playoff performance.

I can't shake the belief that he won't do that, but either way I think it'll be obvious within the 1st game as to which way it's going to go.

• Bullseye 1

33 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Pretending like it was "one bad playoff" is entirely inaccurate. It's two bad playoffs. It's all his playoff play as a Ranger. 

He looks like he's putting himself in position for a truly special season. He's playing on a level that makes him, arguably, a top 3 player on the planet. It sure would be sweet to cement that with a good playoff performance.

I can't shake the belief that he won't do that, but either way I think it'll be obvious within the 1st game as to which way it's going to go.

One mediocre, one bad. 

Panarin is a different player when he's going to the net and shooting the puck.

The Panarin who curls at the blue line and looks to pass is half the player of the guy above.

Why do you put a righthanded shot at LW?  Because when he goes to the net and across the slot he creates better windows to shoot the puck.

I had little problem with his play in last seasons playoffs. He had the most high danger opportunities, and was playing a similar style to what he is today.  He just wasn't hitting the net or was getting robbed with his golden opportunities. 

He had some bad giveaways,  but didn't seem to give up on plays, like other players did. Obviously you want the guy to produce, but he didn't play a perimeter, pass first, lazy brand of hockey in the playoffs. You can blame him for not producing,  but the guy showed up most every game that series. They all stunk. But he isn't at the top of my list for last seasons playoff failure. 

• BREAD! 1