• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Erik Gudbranson Suspended for 1 Game for Violating Rule 46.2 (Aggressor)

Phil

20 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

40?  He didn’t kill the guy, just punched him couple of times when he was down. But it could’ve been another Bertuzzi/Moore incident 

The Bertuzzi/Moore incident made it to the courts.....this smells like it a bit but obviously not even close to severity. I bet he sits 20 games for this, at least. 

Self defense and reaction of passion go out the window due to the timeframe between the hit and his retaliation. He's gunna pay. 

• Phil changed the title to Erik Gudbranson Suspended for 1 Game for Violating Rule 46.2 (Aggressor)
18 hours ago, Albatrosss said:

40?  He didn’t kill the guy, just punched him couple of times when he was down. But it could’ve been another Bertuzzi/Moore incident 

I don't see the difference, the NHL needs to send a message that this is unacceptable. But they won't. 

18 hours ago, siddious said:

I think they used to call this “players policing themselves”

Right? I'm on your side here. 1 game is fine. This was a dangerous potentially career ending hit. Go ahead and punch the other guy a bit. You're not going to end his career that way.

If the league really wants to stop these kinds of plays, they'd sufficiently penalize players for recklessly and dangerously driving other players face first into the boards. I'd offer the question to anyone on the board, what should Gudbransson do here? The answer is not, "nothing", by the way. Dude's career almost ended. I'm ok if the answer is not assault. But what is the answer? 

Edited by Valriera

18 hours ago, Valriera said:

Right? I'm on your side here. 1 game is fine. This was a dangerous potentially career ending hit. Go ahead and punch the other guy a bit. You're not going to end his career that way.

If the league really wants to stop these kinds of plays, they'd sufficiently penalize players for recklessly and dangerously driving other players face first into the boards. I'd offer the question to anyone on the board, what should Gudbransson do here? The answer is not, "nothing", by the way. Dude's career almost ended. I'm ok if the answer is not assault. But what is the answer? 

Confused James Franco GIF

1 hour ago, Pete said:

That's a really naive statement. Beukeboom's career ended with a punch. Steve Moore. Todd Fedoruk.

Considering the number of players that this happens to every night, I think naive is the wrong word. I could buy that it’s possible to do it though, but I still hold that this is a viable activity to undertake after someone hits you in a way that is far more dangerous than a couple punches are. You can’t just take it, so 

1 hour ago, Valriera said:

Considering the number of players that this happens to every night, I think naive is the wrong word. I could buy that it’s possible to do it though, but I still hold that this is a viable activity to undertake after someone hits you in a way that is far more dangerous than a couple punches are. You can’t just take it, so 

He already jumped him after the hit. 

Look, he can do whatever he wants. But the NHL simply can't allow it. This should have been half a season. One game is a pathetic joke. 

40 games is crazy talk. I could see 3-5. 1 seems a bit light. The guy was making someone answer for a very questionable hit where Cousins was hell bent on hitting him regsrdless of the fact that the only angle he had to hit was to do so directly at the numbers. We see guys having to answer for that routinely in the NHL. This really is no different. The premeditated part would make it suspensionable but nothing really significant to me. 

12 minutes ago, Keirik said:

40 games is crazy talk. I could see 3-5. 1 seems a bit light. The guy was making someone answer for a very questionable hit where Cousins was hell bent on hitting him regsrdless of the fact that the only angle he had to hit was to do so directly at the numbers. We see guys having to answer for that routinely in the NHL. This really is no different. The premeditated part would make it suspensionable but nothing really significant to me. 

This is no different than Bertuzzi/Moore. 

40 games is only crazy if you don't really care if this type of thing happens again. One game makes it pretty likely that you're going to see players taking matters into their own hands.

But hey, maybe we need another broken neck to remind people. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

This is no different than Bertuzzi/Moore. 

40 games is only crazy if you don't really care if this type of thing happens again. One game makes it pretty likely that you're going to see players taking matters into their own hands.

But hey, maybe we need another broken neck to remind people. 

Nah, 40 games is crazy when you have a different opinion, but hey, go to the extreme all you want. It's not Bertuzzi/Moore. Not at all but let's agree to disagree. 

On 12/12/2023 at 4:41 PM, Valriera said:

I think my issue here was attacking Cousins unexpectedly; square up and make him answer the bell. Jumping him like a gang initiation isn't the answer. I think 1 game is super light but I also think Cousins deserved supplemental as well. He made a distinct decision to follow through on that hit. He could've pulled away, it was not inevitable contact and Gudbranson didn't move last second either. I feel like both deserved some time off for this.

Bertuzzi/Moore was much longer planned than this. Moore was targeted all night, and even fought, which according to "the code," should have quashed it, but Bertuzzi felt he still needed another pound of flesh and took it — to the sum of breaking Moore's neck and giving him a major concussion. That's why Bertuzzi got as many games as he did (and was taken to trial over it).

This really isn't that. I agree that Gudbranson targeted Cousins, and assaulted him, and I think just one game is pathetically light, but half a season when there's no injury as a result is Draconian. Cousins has a couple bruises that'll heal up in a day or two. Player injury is accounted for — even if you wish it weren't.  All in all, I honestly thought this would be 6-8 games.

41 minutes ago, Phil said:

Bertuzzi/Moore was much longer planned than this. Moore was targeted all night, and even fought, which according to "the code," should have quashed it, but Bertuzzi felt he still needed another pound of flesh and took it — to the sum of breaking Moore's neck and giving him a major concussion. That's why Bertuzzi got as many games as he did (and was taken to trial over it).

This really isn't that. I agree that Gudbranson targeted Cousins, and assaulted him, and I think just one game is pathetically light, but half a season when there's no injury as a result is Draconian. Cousins has a couple bruises that'll heal up in a day or two. Player injury is accounted for — even if you wish it weren't.  All in all, I honestly thought this would be 6-8 games.

The length of time you premeditate really should have nothing to do with it.

This is the sport that doubles your penalty if you draw blood. All that matters is the outcome.