• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Shohei Ohtani Signs 10-Year/$700M Deal With Dodgers; $70M AAV

Phil

The wait is over: Shohei Ohtani is signing with the Toronto Blue Jays.

According to multiple sources who spoke with Dodgers Nation on Friday, the two-way superstar has ended the suspense of the most lucrative free-agent pursuit in baseball history. A formal announcement is expected as early as tonight.

The exact value of Ohtani’s contract isn’t known, but it is expected to shatter the value of Mike Trout’s record 12-year, $426.5 million deal with the Angels.

https://dodgersnation.com/shohei-ohtani-to-sign-with-toronto-blue-jays-over-los-angeles-dodgers-sources/2023/12/08/

Brought in this "genius" in Sterns, fired Buck, not negotiating with Alonso and lost out on the top free agent of the last 2 centuries to..... Toronto. 

They'll never do anything right. They'll bend over for that smug POS  Lindor, but won't outbid everyone for one of the all time best and insanely distinct players to ever play. 

Nope. They brought in Alderson part 2 and are signing garbage nobody's to 1 year deals. 

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Brought in this "genius" in Sterns, fired Buck, not negotiating with Alonso and lost out on the top free agent of the last 2 centuries to..... Toronto. 

They'll never do anything right. They'll bend over for that smug POS  Lindor, but won't outbid everyone for one of the all time best and insanely distinct players to ever play. 

Nope. They brought in Alderson part 2 and are signing garbage nobody's to 1 year deals. 

Did they even go after him though? I'm not too familiar with what the Mets were doing because I haven't heard they were even in the mix, but at the same time the player has to want to go there. 

9 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Update: It was all bullshit. What a crazy day on Jays Twitter.

Bananas because Marek was saying on his daily show that if the signing happened everybody was ready to stop what they were doing and kick it over to the baseball folks. Did that happen?

I think Overdrive went to baseball, and SN did drag out the two baseball guys in the PM. I dunno, I was at work, nobody was working, just refreshing Twitter.

The plane tracking stuff, sushi restaurant reservations getting checked, that was all fun, what pissed everyone off was the two accredited reporters basically confirming it all. 

I still think they're the front runners. They're going to have a deal structured that'll be close to 1 billion CDN that'll include some equity opportunities. If not, the fallout will be equally enjoyable.

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Baseball salaries are preposterous. 

No cap.  Worldwide merchandising.  Deep pocket owners.

I think Ohtani might be trying for a $50M a year deal.  He might get that on a shorter deal that only takes him out to 38 or so.  9 years/$450M or something like that.

The mega deal after that would be Soto with the Yankees next season, which might be 12 years+/$600M or more.

Edit: left out one of the big revenue items: regional sports networks with mostly unshared revenue.

Edited by Br4d

3 hours ago, Keirik said:

He still can't pitch until 2025 at the earliest. Still is a bit of a gamble. Wild that some teams are throwing the boat at him. It's only a matter of time before he only hits. Still a premier hitter for sure though. 

I wonder how much they can sell to Japan, Ohtani is a god over there.

So might actually work, financially at least.

• Phil changed the title to Shohei Ohtani Signs 10-Year/$700M Deal With Dodgers; $70M AAV

This deal is reportedly much deferred with an actual annual value of $46M against the luxury tax.  As an example Ohtani is receiving just $2M of his $70M for 2024 in 2024.  The rest will be deferred to annual payments between 2034 and 2043.

It's like the Bonilla deal which the Mets are still paying off at a million a year pace.  The Mets structured the deal the way they did because they were making a fortune off of Bernie Madoff's scam and so they looked for anyway to defer current payments so they could put more into the pyramid.  They were also withdrawing a fair amount each year but not enough to set them negative overall in the flows into and out of the scam.

I have no idea how hard they got hit by the executor who was recovering monies for the victims of the scam but the Wilpons definitely paid into the victims fund.

Edited by Br4d

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Tickets for his debut already going for $900 for standing room. 

Tell me more about the bad economy.

The Yankees, Dodgers and Red Sox have always been on a different plateau when it comes to ticket prices.

My niece wanted me to take her and 3 friends to a Yankees game for her birthday to see Derek Jeter in 2009 or 2010.  I priced it out and it was like a $1600 proposition.  $320 x 5 would get it done.  For comparison I priced out the same trip to a Mets game and it was $600.  $120 x 5.

I offered her a laptop and a Mets game instead and she settled for the laptop and taking them all to lunch and then to see Twilight: New Moon.  The difference between Yankee and Met ticket availability was $1000.

The movie was terrible by the way but I think they liked it.

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

The Yankees, Dodgers and Red Sox have always been on a different plateau when it comes to ticket prices.

My niece wanted me to take her and 3 friends to a Yankees game for her birthday to see Derek Jeter in 2009 or 2010.  I priced it out and it was like a $1600 proposition.  $320 x 5 would get it done.  For comparison I priced out the same trip to a Mets game and it was $600.  $120 x 5.

I offered her a laptop and a Mets game instead and she settled for the laptop and taking them all to lunch and then to see Twilight: New Moon.  The difference between Yankee and Met ticket availability was $1000.

I'll take "Things That Go Without Saying" for $2000 Alex.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Br4d said:

I totally got that, but I'm saying today people are complaining about the economy but they're also shelling out money to see sporting events, Taylor Swift, and beyoncé. Give me a fucking break.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I totally got that, but I'm saying today people are complaining about the economy but they're also shelling out money to see sporting events, Taylor Swift, and beyoncé. Give me a fucking break.

Concert tickets and sporting event tickets have gotten absurd, especially if you get them through Ticketmaster. The fees and everything, it's bullshit. They should be investigated for that bullshit.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

The people complaining about the economy for real aren't the people who spend money on events like these.  They're the people who live some semblance of paycheck to paycheck and inflation is destroying them because the paychecks no longer keep up with the monthly nut.

In our lifetimes this group of people has gotten to be a larger percentage of the overall population as the 1% have vacuumed society's wealth upwards.  Right now we're probably talking 50% of working adults and families in this group.  As of 2000 it was probably 30% and in the late 70's 15% to 20%.

This group voted heavily for Trump and likely will again in '24.

4 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I think we've been on his trajectory anyway, no matter who the President is. I'm not saying it didn't have an affect, but I don't think as much as people may think. We are just in a bad time where people are getting squeezed on everything.

We've let the rich get out of control and they're eating everybody else as is their wont.

25 minutes ago, Br4d said:

The people complaining about the economy for real aren't the people who spend money on events like these.  They're the people who live some semblance of paycheck to paycheck and inflation is destroying them because the paychecks no longer keep up with the monthly nut.

In our lifetimes this group of people has gotten to be a larger percentage of the overall population as the 1% have vacuumed society's wealth upwards.  Right now we're probably talking 50% of working adults and families in this group.  As of 2000 it was probably 30% and in the late 70's 15% to 20%.

This group voted heavily for Trump and likely will again in '24.

I don't know man, I know people in the gig economy who are saving up for Taylor Swift tickets.