• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Re-call Jonny Brodzinski, Louis Domingue, and Connor Mackey

Phil

18 minutes ago, Pete said:

Everytime I get excited about Chytil in reminded why he doesn't excite me. 

Why bring up spicy pork? 

Igor got his left leg hyper extended by an opposing skate while he was making a save.  He twinged for a bit after the save kind of hunched over and then he walked it off.

It looked like a strain of some sort maybe groin, hamstring, one of the other tendons or even a hip.  However it didn't tighten up during the rest of the game.

I'm guessing it is twinging a little bit on him this morning and so the Rangers want to make sure they have somebody to throw in for Quick if they need too tomorrow night.  Better safe than sorry.

Igor will be back in goal against Detroit in the Garden on Tuesday.  They probably won't even take him on the trip to Minnesota, just let him relax and work out whatever is bothering him.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Igor got his left leg hyper extended by an opposing skate while he was making a save.  He twinged for a bit after the save kind of hunched over and then he walked it off.

It looked like a strain of some sort maybe groin, hamstring, one of the other tendons or even a hip.  However it didn't tighten up during the rest of the game.

I'm guessing it is twinging a little bit on him this morning and so the Rangers want to make sure they have somebody to throw in for Quick if they need too tomorrow night.  Better safe than sorry.

Igor will be back in goal against Detroit in the Garden on Tuesday.  They probably won't even take him on the trip to Minnesota, just let him relax and work out whatever is bothering him.

Refs were rotten last night.

They not only missed the interference call on Aho with Fox, but 3.., count them… 3, obvious stick fouls.

Rangers had 5 Power Plays last night.

It could’ve easily been 8-10. 

You can say all you want about ES production.

Their skill draws a lot of penalties. Many get missed. 

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

3 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

If they are smart they’ll keep him home and just let him rest up.  
Have a feeling Mackey is going to play over Jones while Fox is out.  Maybe not at first but after Mackey gets acclimated to the team.  

I think you’ll see him play some yes.

Doesnt hurt to have another guy play some 

46 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

I think you’ll see him play some yes.

Doesnt hurt to have another guy play some 

All depends on how Schneider looks with Lindgren.  If they need to put Gustafsson with Lindgren I doubt we see Jones and Schneider together.   They looked like a total shit show together the one game earlier this season when Lindgren was out.  

6 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

All depends on how Schneider looks with Lindgren.  If they need to put Gustafsson with Lindgren I doubt we see Jones and Schneider together.   They looked like a total shit show together the one game earlier this season when Lindgren was out.  

Is that the pair we are going to see?

That does make sense.

And I’m ok with that at least in theory. 

I’d almost bet my life we see some tinkering with whoever the 4 aside from Miller-Trouba. 

We will see.

No Fox is bad. But if it’s only 3-4 weeks, in November, it’s in no way that big of a deal.

Despite the LTIR designation, that’s actually shorter term. And good teams are able to get through that type of thing ok. 

Just now, RangersIn7 said:

Meh…

His value in a trade doesn’t have too much potential ceiling anyway. 
It’s of low concern.

I don't agree at all. This is a player who could help a team, just not this one. And I don't understand why you would drive down his value instead of trying to pump it up. 

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

I don't agree at all. This is a player who could help a team, just not this one. And I don't understand why you would drive down his value instead of trying to pump it up. 

Well I don’t know that that’s what they’re envisioning for him outright, but maybe.

What’s the best you could get for him in a deal? Be it pick, player, prospect… it’s no better than middle of the road. 

I would guess, after all is settled, they’d want a more veteran player as the 7th D.

And he’s kind of redundant on this roster who doesn’t fit what you want there. So yeah, he’s not on the roster long-term. 

Could I see him doing ok for someone else, in a role suited to his skill set, maybe.

But he hasn’t exactly shown he even belongs in the NHL. 

He’s an undersized, offensive D. 
Granted, he’s not been able to engage in a role like that here. And he won’t. 

Im not sure what you think he could return. 

Are you thinking along the lines of a younger forward for the bottom-6 that may be able to help?

If so, maybe. 
In terms of pick/prospect, it’s a 3rd rounder at best now, or a mid-range lower ceiling guy. Which is what he was. 
A crap shoot. 

Sure, playing helps up his value.

But poor play hurts it. 

And he’s been bad. 

Theyve needed a LHD on the bottom pair who can move the puck sone for a couple of seasons and he didn’t crack that role. 

He’s not really established himself as an NHL player. 
And there’s no great indication that he will, though we don’t know for sure yet. 

I just don’t see it as something that’s of real importance. 

They're giving Schneider a growth opportunity with Lindgren next to him.  It's a chance to establish a new level of play.

The opportunity cost is that Gustafsson is getting 3rd line minutes, probably alongside his duties on PP1.

4 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Schneider played with Lindgren in his rookie season when Fox was hurt.   Actually it’s probably the best Schneider ever looked.  

Lindgren would probably make even me look good on defense!

...well....ok....maybe not!  But you get my point!!  LOL

• Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, RangersIn7 said:

Well I don’t know that that’s what they’re envisioning for him outright, but maybe.

What’s the best you could get for him in a deal? Be it pick, player, prospect… it’s no better than middle of the road. 

I would guess, after all is settled, they’d want a more veteran player as the 7th D.

And he’s kind of redundant on this roster who doesn’t fit what you want there. So yeah, he’s not on the roster long-term. 

Could I see him doing ok for someone else, in a role suited to his skill set, maybe.

But he hasn’t exactly shown he even belongs in the NHL. 

He’s an undersized, offensive D. 
Granted, he’s not been able to engage in a role like that here. And he won’t. 

Im not sure what you think he could return. 

Are you thinking along the lines of a younger forward for the bottom-6 that may be able to help?

If so, maybe. 
In terms of pick/prospect, it’s a 3rd rounder at best now, or a mid-range lower ceiling guy. Which is what he was. 
A crap shoot. 

Sure, playing helps up his value.

But poor play hurts it. 

And he’s been bad. 

Theyve needed a LHD on the bottom pair who can move the puck sone for a couple of seasons and he didn’t crack that role. 

He’s not really established himself as an NHL player. 
And there’s no great indication that he will, though we don’t know for sure yet. 

I just don’t see it as something that’s of real importance. 

The problem here is that Gallant didn't want to use him the last 2 years. He preferred 2 big guys on the 3rd pair.   

Jones has potential to be what Gustafsson is. If the Rangers didn't strike gold with Gustafsson on his cheap deal, Jones would have to be the guy filling in for Fox . These players are needed in the league. 

The Rangers dropped the ball with Jones, in that they signed him and instantly blew his 1st year of pro eligibility by playing him 10 games in the NHL (in a rebuild/blown season) to finish out the year.  He's only played 2 half seasons in the AHL as he's been yanked up and down to the NHL- to not play-.

He really should have one more season of waiver eligibility and should have been working on his game full time in the AHL. But the Rangers felt the need to waste a contract year to play him 10 games in year 1. 

In the Rangers current situation,  who else should play in Fox's role from within? Gustafsson.  Then who plays Gustafssons role?

There's room for 2 offensive D men in a lineup. There's room for 2 less than stellar defensive D- men. This is a big opportunity for Jones to get back in the good graces and play for his future. Whether that's here or elsewhere, depends on how he does. He's shown a good amount of potential in the past. With this coaching staff, I think they can get him on the right path. He just has to play. 

As for his worth right now...

Depending on what's out there and what's wrong with Chytil, maybe they look for NHL center depth. A lesser player that can be plugged in in a middle 6 spot and not be a complete eye sore offensively. A Sam Gagner type.

Think Erik Christensen or Brandon Pirri types.  Stop gap depth center that isn't going to be in the lineup much, yet is offensively gifted enough to be put in a 2C role  and some PP time in a pinch. They have that in Brodzinski, but the Rangers seem to not want him wasting away as a spare forward . A Gagner type can sit for a month as a spare forward and get in a game seamlessly.  

If he plays good.... You keep him and he's your Gustafsson after this season. 

Edited by The Dude