• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NHL Bans, and Then Un-Bans Use of Pride Tape Amid New Guidance on Special Initiatives

Phil

45 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yes, but "people" is doing a lot of heavy lifting in your scenario for those offended by rainbows. There were like what, four players in the 600+ player league who refused to participate?

Four that we know about. How many more that never wanted to do it in the first place, but they just didn't want to make waves?

https://cms.nhl.bamgrid.com/images/assets/binary/326142322/binary-file/file.pdf

10.1 Player’s Stick – (see 10.2 for goalkeeper) The sticks shall be made of wood or other material approved by the League, and must not have any projections. Adhesive tape of any color may be wrapped around the stick at any place for the purpose of reinforcement or to improve control of the puck.

14 hours ago, Pete said:

Four that we know about. How many more that never wanted to do it in the first place, but they just didn't want to make waves?

More, for sure, but it still seems silly to go to this length if you're the NHL. The simplest solution is almost always the correct one. Teams are allowed to back whatever causes they want. Players can choose to participate or not. Done.

12 minutes ago, Phil said:

More, for sure, but it still seems silly to go to this length if you're the NHL. The simplest solution is almost always the correct one. Teams are allowed to back whatever causes they want. Players can choose to participate or not. Done.

I don't necessarily disagree except for the fact that when you're an employee of a team, you have to abide by that team's rules regarding how you show that support when you're on their time. What you do on your own time is your own business, what you do on the ice is something else.

I also think what's getting lost here is that the NHL said something different than what the media spun it into. The NHL actually said that they don't want players using any kind of tape, so that probably means camouflage tape on military night as well.

But of course the media picked up and ran with the pride narrative. 

12 minutes ago, Pete said:

I don't necessarily disagree except for the fact that when you're an employee of a team, you have to abide by that team's rules regarding how you show that support when you're on their time. What you do on your own time is your own business, what you do on the ice is something else.

I also think what's getting lost here is that the NHL said something different than what the media spun it into. The NHL actually said that they don't want players using any kind of tape, so that probably means camouflage tape on military night as well.

But of course the media picked up and ran with the pride narrative. 

100%. That's actually exactly the case, which is why you've probably seen a lot of headline corrections.

And I totally get your first paragraph. I just think they went a little overboard when an easier, much more pragmatic solution was there. Just let teams do what they want. Then the heat's on them. Not you.

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

And I totally get your first paragraph. I just think they went a little overboard when an easier, much more pragmatic solution was there. Just let teams do what they want. Then the heat's on them. Not you.

Agree. No reason for league to weigh in here. 

1 minute ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

I mean it's technically the truth to say this wasn't specifically about the pride tape, or pride night celebrations that teams were doing but it doesn't take any huge mental leaps to get where this all stemmed from. 

Right. It was the primary target, in a sense. The league cancelled all "special initiatives" to give the appearance of being fair and balanced, but the initiatives themselves aren't of equal weight/footing/importance, so you're not wrong at all to suggest this.

2 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

I mean it's technically the truth to say this wasn't specifically about the pride tape, or pride night celebrations that teams were doing but it doesn't take any huge mental leaps to get where this all stemmed from. 

Yes but where you see the NHL being anti LGBTQ+, I see them saying they're not going to fuck around with support for any group. And I don't see a problem with that. It's stemmed from an issue around pride, but the NHL decided to remove support for all groups... But that wasn't the narrative.

I don't think there's anything wrong with telling the players that they can support whatever groups they want, but when they're on the ice it's about hockey and not politics. 

Now we can argue that this shouldn't be a political conversation, however we know it all is.

Edited by Pete

6 hours ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

6 hours ago, Phil said:

Right. It was the primary target, in a sense. The league cancelled all "special initiatives" to give the appearance of being fair and balanced, but the initiatives themselves aren't of equal weight/footing/importance, so you're not wrong at all to suggest this.

Yes, this is true, but the only reason it got talked about was because the media decided to put it front and center to chastise those who opted not to partake. Whether they did so because they cared, or did so because they knew it’d generate clicks and views…maybe a mix of both. Either way, the obsession to force things is never the answer.

It was a real slim minority who cared enough to not even participate, but like the media has to do and so desperately craves, they need everyone to bend the knee. An overwhelming majority isn’t good enough. Sigh.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Yes, this is true, but the only reason it got talked about was because the media decided to put it front and center to chastise those who opted not to partake. Whether they did so because they cared, or did so because they knew it’d generate clicks and views…maybe a mix of both. Either way, the obsession to force things is never the answer.

It was a real slim minority who cared enough to not even participate, but like the media has to do and so desperately craves, they need everyone to bend the knee. An overwhelming majority isn’t good enough. Sigh.

Cancel culture polarizes people and results in views/clicks. Can't blame for NHL for trying to side step that and putting an end to this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • LindG1000 changed the title to NHL Bans, and Then Un-Bans Use of Pride Tape Amid New Guidance on Special Initiatives

I'd continue to say that I think players not participating in Pride night celebrations is a bad thing and I would definitely favor shaming them for it.  With that said, I would hate it if players were forced to participate in other types of events that I may disagree with (nothing comes to mind but speaking more generally) so I'm fine with a 'participate if you want to' thing. 

The NHL just can never stay out of their own way though. Greatest sport, dumbest league....

• LMFAO 1

Cringe worthy, but also I can always respect people making themselves look stupid in service of doing the right thing, and in this case, the league did that. So -1 for taking the dumb position in the first place, but +2 for realizing that was wrong and then reversing that position afterward, which is harder than doing the right thing to begin with. World would be a better place if more people and organizations did that. 

• Keeps it 100 1