• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NHL Bans, and Then Un-Bans Use of Pride Tape Amid New Guidance on Special Initiatives

Phil

I was just reading this. Clickbait article title because it makes it sound like the NHL targeted pride night specifically, when it sounds like they actually just banned all specialty gear on ice regardless of the theme?

My initial thought was why not just leave it be optional for players to wear or not wear on theme night? Maybe the train of thought is the media would still just focus on who is optionally not participating, drawing conclusions from it, putting those players under a microscope, etc. So I guess it makes since from a league standpoint to rip the bandaid off and get rid of theme nights on ice altogether.

46 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I was just reading this. Clickbait article title because it makes it sound like the NHL targeted pride night specifically, when it sounds like they actually just banned all specialty gear on ice regardless of the theme?

My initial thought was why not just leave it be optional for players to wear or not wear on theme night? Maybe the train of thought is the media would still just focus on who is optionally not participating, drawing conclusions from it, putting those players under a microscope, etc. So I guess it makes since from a league standpoint to rip the bandaid off and get rid of theme nights on ice altogether.

It's kinda baity, I agree. From the article/memo:

The latest memo said restrictions cover “on-ice activity” and said “players should be encouraged to express themselves off the ice,” ESPN reported. It also reportedly said players and teams are allowed to “celebrate and support” specialty causes, and host themed groups at games, while players can wear “whatever they want” as long as they adhere to their team’s dress code.

So, basically, the NHL is saying nothing for any specialty cause on the ice. Do whatever you want to do off it. If I'm understanding it correctly, it wouldn't be an express ban of Pride tape, but all tape. No camo for military night, no special colors/tape for like Hispanic Heritage night, etc. etc.

23 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

some players/some teams are gonna do it anyway and dare the NHL to do anything about it

Yeah, the 32 Thoughts guys were wondering out loud how the hell the NHL plans to enforce this. Apparently McDavid was very outspoken about not being happy about it. What if he says fuck it and practices or plays a game with rainbow tape? They really gonna fine him?

23 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

some players/some teams are gonna do it anyway and dare the NHL to do anything about it

I'm not so sure about that. I'm not really sure this is a hill to die on for more than a handful of players...Will be an interesting thing to keep an eye on.

I think if there were an out NHL player, he or one or more of his teammates might fight harder, but my guess is that you'll see a lot of "disappointed," comments made by players who will ultimately not do much about it.

12 minutes ago, Pete said:

I'm not so sure about that. I'm not really sure this is a hill to die on for more than a handful of players...Will be an interesting thing to keep an eye on.

depends on the team. If I recall, the Leafs/their star players were very much supporters of pride nights and all about it. What happens when Auston Matthews goes out with pride tape on his stick? the NHL is not going to want the story of taking action against their marquee American player for supporting LGBTQ people.  

and while yes, this decision technically isn't aimed specifically at Pride night, it's clear what this is really about. 

I also get that the NHL doesn't like the headlines when teams host these type of events and certain players back out of it. But they're just going to back themselves into the opposite corner now. 

19 hours ago, Pete said:

Correct. No player wants to be labeled as a "distraction" in the NHL. And purposely going out of your way to protest a decision the league made is going to cause a lot of media attention no player/team wants. 

Just now, Morphinity 2.0 said:

Correct. No player wants to be labeled as a "distraction" in the NHL. And purposely going out of your way to protest a decision the league made is going to cause a lot of media attention no player/team wants. 

I really do think this might be different if the league had at least one out player, but right now, as things stand, the only thing we're going to get are a lot of statements put out on social media that call this disappointing and little else.

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

I really do think this might be different if the league had at least one out player, but right now, as things stand, the only thing we're going to get are a lot of statements put out on social media that call this disappointing and little else.

The league does have an out player. Didn't a Nashville draft pick come out recently?

The bottom line is we know the NHL players are mostly conservatives And locker rooms are tight-knit places where for the most part they don't want to fuck with politics openly. So they either all wear the tape, or nobody wears the tape. And now, nobody's going to wear the tape. 

10 minutes ago, Pete said:

The league does have an out player. Didn't a Nashville draft pick come out recently?

The bottom line is we know the NHL players are mostly conservatives And locker rooms are tight-knit places where for the most part they don't want to fuck with politics openly. So they either all wear the tape, or nobody wears the tape. And now, nobody's going to wear the tape. 

Yes, and he's not in the NHL, so they really don't.

And you're right about it being mostly conservative. I can't prove it, but my working theory is also that the league just doesn't have very many outspoken leaders who truly care about these types of initiatives. It's why you get milquetoast statements about disappointment and little else. They're willing to say a few words, but not much else.

59 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yes, and he's not in the NHL, so they really don't.

And you're right about it being mostly conservative. I can't prove it, but my working theory is also that the league just doesn't have very many outspoken leaders who truly care about these types of initiatives. It's why you get milquetoast statements about disappointment and little else. They're willing to say a few words, but not much else.

And frankly, I'm OK with this. Everyone is on their own pace towards allyship. I can be an active advocate, but others have the freedom to either participate or not. It's a free country. The mandate that the left has, that you need to be an active ally or you're a bigot, is trash.

(And I say this referencing performative shit like rainbow shirts and tape.)

• Keeps it 100 2

1 hour ago, Phil said:

I'm pretty surprised by this, and good on them...But I just can't shake this feeling that rather than quibble over tape, you do something that's a little more impactful for that community. I just feel like taping your stick is a nothing burger and if you don't tape it, you're now labeled a bigot.

Find something that matters and lean into that. Tape ain't it.

• Like 1