• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lafrenière Re-Re-Reset: 2023–24 Edition

RichieNextel305

10 minutes ago, Pete said:

Rangers players: Leave the fucking lines alone for longer than 3 fucking games JFC

It's been 6 games now with no changes except the 4th line rotation depending on who is sitting out.

Just saying.

Line 1 has 2 even strength goals.

Line 2 has 5 even strength goals.

Line 3 has 1 even strength goal.

Line 4 has 0 even strength goals.

1.25 even strength goals a game from the forwards just isn't going to cut it.  Lines 1, 3 and 4 are averaging a half goal a game between them at even strength.

Not sure what the answer is but something has to give.  Either we get a breakout on line 1 and 3 or Laviolette is going to have to make some changes.

Edited by Br4d

2 minutes ago, Br4d said:

It's been 6 games now with no changes except the 4th line rotation depending on who is sitting out.

Just saying.

Line 1 has 2 even strength goals.

Line 2 has 5 even strength goals.

Line 3 has 1 even strength goal.

Line 4 has 0 even strength goals.

1.25 even strength goals a game from the forwards just isn't going to cut it.  Lines 1, 3 and 4 are averaging a half goal a game between them at even strength.

Not sure what the answer is but something has to give.  Either we get a breakout on line 1 and 3 or Laviolette is going to have to make some changes.

Nothing needs to be done today. 

15 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Give it a week.

A week is four more games, I can do that. 

That said, we also all know CK and MZ are streaky players. If you want to enjoy the hot treats you have to endure the cold streaks. 

4 hours ago, Pete said:

A week is four more games, I can do that. 

That said, we also all know CK and MZ are streaky players. If you want to enjoy the hot treats you have to endure the cold streaks. 

Line 1 can't be streaky that way.  Line 1 needs to pound away game after game and give a baseline for the team.

I love Zibanejad but he is not the guy this team will follow to a Stanley Cup.

8 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Line 1 can't be streaky that way.  Line 1 needs to pound away game after game and give a baseline for the team.

I love Zibanejad but he is not the guy this team will follow to a Stanley Cup.

Well, I don't agree at all. Cup runs are built in streaks. It's nice to have a sure thing, but there's no substitute for a player who's riding a high.

• Keeps it 100 1

Just now, BrooksBurner said:

I think I'd rather see a couple of apples tonight. We already know he can score. Maybe Fil and Laf can switch in this department for a couple games eh?

I'd certainly like to see Chytil hit the net for a change.  He's had some great chances, but as long as he keeps shooting, he'll pop a few

16 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Who cares which guy scores as long as one of them puts the puck in the net.

The problem is if you only have a few guys scoring consistently like the Rangers do now what happens if they go cold?

Game 5 and 7 is what happens.

• Bullseye 1

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

The problem is if you only have a few guys scoring consistently like the Rangers do now what happens if they go cold?

Game 5 and 7 is what happens.

Imagine if the PCL line wasn’t doing all this ES damage, what would this team look like without Zib/Trocheck lines producing? They have good underlying numbers, but without real production it amounts to just eating time off the clock.

Zib in particular has to start scoring, but I pointed this out last year. He goes through really long stretches of not scoring goals at ES. Very hot/cold even strength producer. It‘s a problem, as we saw against NJ.

• Keeps it 100 1

Pretty sure that's a falacy. It doesn't quite matter where the goals come from, as long as they're coming. Statistically, there are only so many goals in a game or season.

It's entirely possible that if PCL weren't producing, the vacuum would be filled by KZK. 

17 hours ago, Pete said:

Well, I don't agree at all. Cup runs are built in streaks. It's nice to have a sure thing, but there's no substitute for a player who's riding a high.

Paging Matthew Tkachuck from last year whose streak single handedly made the Florida Panthers a relevant team.

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

Imagine if the PCL line wasn’t doing all this ES damage, what would this team look like without Zib/Trocheck lines producing? They have good underlying numbers, but without real production it amounts to just eating time off the clock.

Zib in particular has to start scoring, but I pointed this out last year. He goes through really long stretches of not scoring goals at ES. Very hot/cold even strength producer. It‘s a problem, as we saw against NJ.

Zibanejad is streaky.  All the kids are streaky.  Basically the Rangers have two guys in Kreider and Panarin who are pretty consistent at this point and Panarin can go awhile without scoring also, although he is hot this year.  I'll give Lafreniere credit for not being streaky when we see the goals keep coming, maybe another 10 games or so.  He is the Rangers third best guy at even strength over the last 3 years but has had long scoreless stretches even then.

This team still has the pass first mentality all up and down the lineup and what that's really about is most of the guys counting on a few to get it done.  Anybody but me.

Probably the most frustrating guy is Adam Fox because he has the chops to be a 20 goal scorer but he's never going to get there penetrating to make a pass and cycling from the blueline - as good as he is at both things.  Playing with Lindgren should free Fox up to really make some moves in mid-ice and the offensive zone however Laviolette's system favors the LD as the guy to do that kind of stuff and maybe it's too much to expect Fox to be able to break the frame.