• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Y'all Wanna See a Dead Body? Chris Kreider Is the Best First-round Pick in 30 Years

Phil

3 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

With Barkov and Tkachuk, and a healthy Ekblad (if that’s even possible) they could very well get back there. 

They could but they kind of had a miracle run this year after leading the league in points last year.

92 points and into the finals is really unusual.

The odds on them being back there are kind of low but you never know.

8 minutes ago, Br4d said:

They could but they kind of had a miracle run this year after leading the league in points last year.

If you look at the season they had in 21-22, the 58 games they won, they won 16 in 3-on-3 OT and shootouts.

They had 22 games decided past regulation.

They went 16-6.

27.5% of their wins came under rules that don’t exist in the playoffs.

But… they are SUPER skilled.

And they added Tkachuk. But they lost Huberdeau and Weegar.

They’re going to be around.

Edited by RangersIn7

I think what we're sussing out here is that there's no one "right" way to do it. 

The benefit of drafting well means you get to keep your talent at reasonable costs, which is of primary importance in a cap league. But the other way to do that is by signing players to great deals. Kreider and Zib are on great deals. The Penguins got Kunitz and Dupuis to play for peanuts. Boston was cost controlled. Nobody made more than Chara or Bergeron. 

Also trades like Zib for Brass, not Blais for Buch. That trade should have gotten us a lot more than it did. 

29 minutes ago, Pete said:

I think what we're sussing out here is that there's no one "right" way to do it. 

The benefit of drafting well means you get to keep your talent at reasonable costs, which is of primary importance in a cap league. But the other way to do that is by signing players to great deals. Kreider and Zib are on great deals. The Penguins got Kunitz and Dupuis to play for peanuts. Boston was cost controlled. Nobody made more than Chara or Bergeron. 

Also trades like Zib for Brass, not Blais for Buch. That trade should have gotten us a lot more than it did. 

Probably the biggest stain on Drury's record imo. If there was no market for him that Summer, I completely get it; but you need to get more for a 26 year old point per game player than a 4th liner and a 2nd round pick. 

If I recall this pick was not an immediate cap crunch, but more an impending one for the following season. Don't want to go through all of the old threads; but I believe there was a scenario that they could have signed him to the similar/same deal St. Louis did, and then flip him at the trade deadline.

The optics of that would have been horrible as a contending team, but they would have realized serious value for what they could have gotten for him. At the very least it would have given them options when Lafrenaire & Kaako fizzled that season. Lost opportunity.    

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Br4d said:

The team.that is absolutely built for the playoffs have great odds to get back.

Had Tkachuk not been hurt and Bennet &o thers not playing through injuries, they should have won the cup. 

Their issue is if Bobrovsky is able to return to form. If not, I think they can trade for a replacement. 

The east runs through south Florida.  They're the team to beat. 

4 hours ago, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

Probably the biggest stain on Drury's record imo. If there was no market for him that Summer, I completely get it; but you need to get more for a 26 year old point per game player than a 4th liner and a 2nd round pick. 

If I recall this pick was not an immediate cap crunch, but more an impending one for the following season. Don't want to go through all of the old threads; but I believe there was a scenario that they could have signed him to the similar/same deal St. Louis did, and then flip him at the trade deadline.

The optics of that would have been horrible as a contending team, but they would have realized serious value for what they could have gotten for him. At the very least it would have given them options when Lafrenaire & Kaako fizzled that season. Lost opportunity.    

Could have NOT signed Goodrow (to that bad contract) and/or Nemeth (equally as bad and dumb) and kept Buchnevich AND had a little more cap space.. 

I'll just assume the Rangers thought they had sure things in Kakko, Lafrenière and Kravtsov.  Making them think they needed the cap space to eventually extend these turds as their future. Well we know how that transpired. 

Edited by The Dude

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Could have NOT signed Goodrow (to that bad contract) or Nemeth (equally as bad and dumb) and kept Buchnevich AND hasmd a little more cap space.. 

I'll just assume the Rangers thought they had sure things in Kakko, Lafrenière and Kravtsov.  Making them think they needed the cap space to eventually extend these turds as their future. Well we know how that transpired. 

There's nothing wrong with Goodrow contract. 

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

There's nothing wrong with Goodrow contract. 

6 years. 3.6. 4th liner.  There's a lot wrong with it. Especially since it cost the Rangers Buchnevich. 

He seriously better get his shit together under Laviolette. I'm expecting it.  

Edited by The Dude

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

6 years. 3.6. 4th liner.  There's a lot wrong with it. Especially since it cost the Rangers Buchnevich. 

He seriously better get his shit together under Laviolette. I'm expecting it.  

He's been the player he always was, Gigi played him on the fourth line but he's capable of playing on the 3rd. $3.6 for a 30+ point player is market value. 

1 minute ago, Pete said:

He's been the player he always was, Gigi played him on the fourth line but he's capable of playing on the 3rd. $3.6 for a 30+ point player is market value. 

5.8 for a PPG, 200' game player at age 25/26 is below market value.

I know which player I'd rather have and which one would have a more positive impact on the roster, since that year. 

In his 2 years here, he's pretty much exclusively been a 4th liner, on a team absolutely desperate for a RW in the top 9. He stunk when pushed up the lineup.

I don't care what he did in Tampa. He hasn't brought that here  ("That"- being winning attitude, gritty attitude and leadership). 

30 points or not. He's pretty useless. Much like Lafrenière, his points are hollow. Not a difference maker. Not a play driver. Not a tempo changer. I can't think of  more than 5 moments where I can say "man I'm glad Goodrow is a Ranger". 

32 minutes ago, The Dude said:

5.8 for a PPG, 200' game player at age 25/26 is below market value.

I know which player I'd rather have and which one would have a more positive impact on the roster, since that year. 

In his 2 years here, he's pretty much exclusively been a 4th liner, on a team absolutely desperate for a RW in the top 9. He stunk when pushed up the lineup.

I don't care what he did in Tampa. He hasn't brought that here  ("That"- being winning attitude, gritty attitude and leadership). 

30 points or not. He's pretty useless. Much like Lafrenière, his points are hollow. Not a difference maker. Not a play driver. Not a tempo changer. I can't think of  more than 5 moments where I can say "man I'm glad Goodrow is a Ranger". 

The first half of the post has nothing to do with whether or not Goody is overpaid. The second part of the post I completely disagree with. But we don't have to agree. 

• ALEXIS! 1

On 8/24/2023 at 6:09 PM, Phil said:

In chatting with friends in a group chat offline, I came to the terrifying conclusion/understanding that Chris Kreider is undeniably the Rangers' best first-round pick in the last 30 years. Yup. You read that right. Thirty. Years.

In fact, in order to find a genuine star-level player they took, you have to go back as far as either 1991 (Kovalev) or 1986 (Leetch).

Don't believe me? History proves otherwise:

2020: Alexis Lafreniere (1)

2019: Kaapo Kakko (2)

2018: Vitali Kravtsov (9), K'Andre Miller (22), Nils Lundkvist (28)

2017: Lias Andersson (7), Filip Chytil (21)

2016: N/A — Red Wings selected Dennis Cholowski with NYR pick (20)

2015: N/A — Islanders selected Anthony Beauvillier with NYR pick (28)

2014: N/A — Islanders selected Josh Ho-Sang with the NYR pick (28)

2013: N/A — Blue Jackets selected Kerby Rychel with the NYR pick (19)

2012: Brady Skjei (28)

2011: J.T. Miller (15)

2010: Dylan McIlrath (10)

2009: Chris Kreider (19)

2008: Michael Del Zotto (20)

2007: Alexei Cherepanov (17)

2006: Bobby Sanguinetti (21)

2005: Marc Staal (12)

2004: Al Montoya (6)

2003: Hugh Jessiman (12)

2002: N/A — Flames selected Eric Nystrom with the NYR pick (10)

2001: Dan Blackburn (10)

2000: N/A — Lightning selected Nikita Alexeev with the NYR pick (8)

1999: Pavel Brendl (4)

1998: Manny Malhotra (7)

1997: Stefan Cherneski (19)

1996: Jeff Brown (22)

1995: N/A — Whalers selected JS Giguere with the NYR pick (15)

1994: Dan Cloutier (26)

1993: Niklas Sundstrom (8)

Before that?

1992: Peter Ferraro (24)

1991: Alex Kovalev (15)

1990: Michael Stewart (13)

1989: Steven Rice (20)

1988: N/A — Troy Mallette was taken 22nd overall in the second round

1987: Jayson More (10)

EnnA3GzVcAEtr-s.jpg:large

Happy Thursday, everyone! 🤣

Korean Drama What GIF by The Swoon