• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Most Intriguing Rangers Going Into Camp

Phil

Artemi Panarin:

But the dialogue around Panarin this summer after a second straight disappointing playoff run dictates he will be a story at camp. So too does his shaved head, after a reportedly getting the haircut to remove evil forces and negative energy.

With Panarin turning 32 two weeks into October, it’s also reasonable to wonder whether his production will start tailing off. There are still three years left on his contract, which pays $11.6 million annually, so any kind of drop from the 90-plus points he’s put up in every non-COVID shortened season with the Rangers would be a serious blow.

Given that he’s led the Rangers in points every season since signing on Broadway, it’s almost certainly premature to start thinking about that. But Panarin is too important to the Blueshirts’ Stanley Cup chances for his poor playoff series against the Devils to go unnoticed. At least for now, he can put a rest to that talk quickly once camp starts.

Chytil-Trocheck:

The competition between Filip Chytil and Vincent Trocheck for the second center spot will be one to watch throughout camp.

Goodrow:

Barclay Goodrow was the subject of trade rumors going into the offseason — he will be playing to impress Laviolette.

Othmann, Cuylle:

It is unlikely Brennan Othmann or Will Cuylle will make the opening night roster — Cuylle likely has the best chance, but the better path to playing time goes through Hartford, for now. Still, comparing the Rangers’ best prospects to NHL competition throughout camp and the preseason will represent an important benchmark.

https://nypost.com/2023/08/22/the-most-intriguing-rangers-going-into-2023-training-camp/

For me personally, it’s Trocheck and Chytil. I think it makes more sense if you can try Chytil with Panarin, knowing what we now know about Trocheck and Panarin not being on the same page last year. In an ideal world, Trocheck would be a great 3C if Chytil and Panarin show early signs of chemistry in camp. Trocheck can play a straight ahead game and can center an effective 3rd line that can score, defend and agitate; possibly with Goodrow on one of his wings. It would be a good 3rd line.

Edited by RichieNextel305

Ethan Sears behind paywall?  C'mon!  The guy usually just idly scribbles about non-events out Elmont way.

I question Panarin for shaving his head and firing a gun.  Makes him one step closer to being a conscript! 

Chytil has been around almost as long as Zib and CK.  Top six already, okay.

Panarin looks like Lex Luthor now? Not worried.

Definitely Chytil for me. He showed good progress this year, you just hope it continues to be more consistent. In the past he would have brief great stretches and then fall of a cliff for a few weeks. This past season, the hot streaks and better play lasted a bit longer and were more frequent. He really needs to continue that and get better. He has to. The same applies for Kakko and Lafreniere. They're not going to be superstars, we have a pretty good idea of that. But, if they can all continue to build on what they did last season, and then some, things are looking up. The future of the Rangers depends on it.

If Panarin shaving his head to "expel evil demons" or whatever the hell was reported and firing a gun makes him harder to play against, then more of that, please. Make this his villain origin story.

How a happy-go-lucky, always smiling Russian with a gorgeous head of hair turned into a psychotic warrior: the Artemi Panarin story. Let's go!

• LOL 1
  • Cheers 1

Lafreniere-Zibanejad-Wheeler

Panarin-Chytil-???

Kreider-Trocheck-Kakko

Cuylle-Goodrow-Vesey

Those are going to be the guys I'm going to be watching closely.  The Rangers have a good shot at 3 strong lines and good checking line from the get-go if they can figure out who slots at RW on line 2.  Line 2 is just line 2 in the above rotation because Panarin is on it.  I think the Trocheck line is line 2 quality also.

Lafrenière and Othmann. 

I said it months ago. Othmann is going to make it extremely hard for the Rangers to decide he should go to Hartford.  If Lafrenière shits the bed or isn't even in camp, Othmann is possibly going to make Lafrenière expendable.

I'll admit to not seeing as much of Othmann as some others here. But from last preseason and the very little (highlights) I've seen of him, I think he's just a better fit for what this team is looking for. Even if he's not ready. That type of player can develop on a 3rd line and gain momentum due to his spunk.

Lafrenière is on make or break status because he broke already. 

5 hours ago, Phil said:

How a happy-go-lucky, always smiling Russian with a gorgeous head of hair turned into a psychotic warrior: the Artemi Panarin story. Let's go!

The Artemi Panarin Story, ie "Full Metal Jacket II"

• Applause 1

7 hours ago, Phil said:

"So too does his shaved head, after a reportedly getting the haircut to remove evil forces and negative energy ...

.. and incriminating gunpowder residue."

I think they missed one in whether they kick K'Andre's responsibility up a notch with PP time. Unless LaV thinks Trouba is on an upward arc, time to put your best asset in the position for maximum impact.

12 hours ago, The Dude said:

Lafrenière and Othmann. 

I said it months ago. Othmann is going to make it extremely hard for the Rangers to decide he should go to Hartford.  If Lafrenière shits the bed or isn't even in camp, Othmann is possibly going to make Lafrenière expendable.

I'll admit to not seeing as much of Othmann as some others here. But from last preseason and the very little (highlights) I've seen of him, I think he's just a better fit for what this team is looking for. Even if he's not ready. That type of player can develop on a 3rd line and gain momentum due to his spunk.

Lafrenière is on make or break status because he broke already. 

I seriously hope Othmann makes the decision a hard one for them. 

That said, it’s probably to his benefit to go to Hartford and start the season there where he will likely play a lot of minutes 

• Keeps it 100 1

16 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

I seriously hope Othmann makes the decision a hard one for them. 

That said, it’s probably to his benefit to go to Hartford and start the season there where he will likely play a lot of minutes 

Yepp there’s just no room for him on this roster. Let him develop. 

1 hour ago, siddious said:

Yepp there’s just no room for him on this roster. Let him develop. 

The reality is that at his age and with no professional experience, even if he’s absolutely fantastic, how much does he benefit from playing bottom-6 minutes at the NHL level.

Probably not that much at this stage, and certainly not more than he would benefit from going to Hartford and playing top-6 minutes there, at least for part of a season. 

The only way it could see him making the roster is if there is an injury or he’s just so good that he has to be on your NHL roster.

3 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

I'm curious to see if coaching actually helps Miller learn how to play defense.

Housley is the guy for that.

100%.

You can talk about how he was as a player all you want. And when it came to his defensive play, there were deficiencies.

But being real about it…the era he played in and the shit teams he played for, at his size and playing to his skill set, Housley is exactly what he should have been.

And he’s evolved.

Coached that great D corps In Nashville under Laviolette when they went to the finals and much of the success Dahlin had as a rookie can be attributed to Phil Housley.

Just don’t let him play a man-to-man D and we are ok

9 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

The reality is that at his age and with no professional experience, even if he’s absolutely fantastic, how much does he benefit from playing bottom-6 minutes at the NHL level.

Probably not that much at this stage, and certainly not more than he would benefit from going to Hartford and playing top-6 minutes there, at least for part of a season. 

The only way it could see him making the roster is if there is an injury or he’s just so good that he has to be on your NHL roster.

Like I said.  He's the type of player that CAN develop on bottom 6 minutes. 

I'm not expecting scoring from him in year 1. 

I'm expecting edgy, tenacious play. He can kill penalties,  he can put defenses on their heels, he can crash the net, he can throw the body. He's a pain in the ass and an energy player ontop of his scoring ability.  Im confident that aspect of his game (pest) transfers perfectly already at the NHL level. That's a leg up for him, due to the lack of these traits on the roster. 

That's not to say I don't think it will be a numbers game. He cold be lights out in camp, but since he has options, they will use that against him.  They'll go with Pitlick, Belzile, or even Nash, so not to have to try to pass them through waivers. 

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

Like I said.  He's the type of player that CAN develop on bottom 6 minutes. 

I'm not expecting scoring from him in year 1. 

I'm expecting edgy, tenacious play. He can kill penalties,  he can put defenses on their heels, he can crash the net, he can throw the body. He's a pain in the ass and an energy player ontop of his scoring ability.  Im confident that aspect of his game (pest) transfers perfectly already at the NHL level. That's a leg up for him, due to the lack of these traits on the roster. 

That's not to say I don't think it will be a numbers game. He cold be lights out in camp, but since he has options, they will use that against him.  They'll go with Pitlick, Belzile, or even Nash, so not to have to try to pass them through waivers. 

You shouldn’t attempt to develop

any player, especially those drafted in the 1st round, on bottom-6 minutes.

• Bullseye 1

8 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

You shouldn’t attempt to develop

any player, especially those drafted in the 1st round, on bottom-6 minutes.

First off, players should develop in leagues other than the NHL...but you should bring them along and place them in roles where they can have immediate success. If middle 6 is where they project to land, and Othmann projects middle 6, there's nothing wrong with bringing him along slowly. 

Again, Tyler Seguin broke in on the Bruins 3rd line. Krieder didn't step into top line minutes. JT Miller same thing. Marc Staal started on the 3rd pair. All 1st rounders. 

Yea, I don't agree with that post at all.

Edited by Pete