• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers RFA Lafreniere Confident New Deal Will Come Soon

Phil

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

💯

But most of us realize power skating coaching is not something that is done during the season, but in the offseason. Sure they might have the coach come in for tweaks and adjustments, but these guys aren't working on that during the season for the most part. 

Correct.

These guy who do it typically have a coach come in and work 1 on 1, or they work with a group of a handful of guys under 1 or 2 coaches all together, like a clinic setting.

Or you can have coach just give you a program and you work it yourself. 

Edited by RangersIn7

7 minutes ago, Br4d said:

https://minnesotahockeymag.com/meet-barbara-williams-nhls-first-official-power-skating-coach/

Williams was hired by the Isles and welcomed to the rink by Al Arbour on Jan 7th 1977.

That definitely sounds like in-season training.

You have a different take?

My take is that was 1977. Live in the now.

(It also doesn't say that she was training anyone that day, but I won't split hairs because that was 46 years ago.)

Edited by Pete

Per ChatGPT (but they're only current to 2021, not 1977!)

What time of year do NHL players work on power skating?

NHL players typically work on power skating throughout the offseason, which usually occurs during the summer months. The NHL season typically runs from October to April, followed by the playoffs that can extend into June. During the offseason, players have a break from competitive games, which allows them to focus on individual skills development, including power skating.

Power skating drills and training sessions are designed to improve a player's speed, agility, balance, and overall skating technique. These sessions aim to enhance a player's efficiency and effectiveness on the ice, helping them become more dynamic and powerful skaters.

While some players may engage in power skating training during the regular season as well, the offseason is the primary period when players have the time and opportunity to focus intensively on their skills development, including power skating. This preparation during the offseason contributes to their performance improvement once the next NHL season begins.

--

Can we call it good now? Or do I have to keep going.

Edited by Pete

10 minutes ago, Pete said:

My take is that was 1977. Live in the now.

(It also doesn't say that she was training anyone that day, but I won't split hairs because that was 46 years ago.)

The NY Rangers have an enormous vested interest in developing several young skaters into better skaters.  You could argue no team in professional hockey has more of an incentive to do this given that 3 of their recent 1st round picks have reps as uninspired skaters.

I think the Rangers should look at what has worked in the past for other teams and re-evaluate the curriculum they provide to young players both at the NHL and minor-league levels.

Just doing the same thing over and over again is going to produce the same results over and over again.

I'm actually shocked that the Rangers do not have a power skating coach at the NHL level given how much trouble they've had developing skaters.

In today’s NHL power skating is most definitely something worked on during the offseason more frequently that in season. There’s too much at risk for injury, schedule is very tight, practices get in the way, travel, coaching sessions to go over video, player obligations with charities, etc. 

two more recent guys I can remember using a skating coach over the summer is Brian Boyle (my love) and Hoe Pavelski. I believe they used that Barbara Underhill lady. Worked wonders for Boyle. 

6 minutes ago, Keirik said:

In today’s NHL power skating is most definitely something worked on during the offseason more frequently that in season. There’s too much at risk for injury, schedule is very tight, practices get in the way, travel, coaching sessions to go over video, player obligations with charities, etc. 

two more recent guys I can remember using a skating coach over the summer is Brian Boyle (my love) and Hoe Pavelski. I believe they used that Barbara Underhill lady. Worked wonders for Boyle. 

I remember when Boyle did that. His skating was so much better, and honestly, it gave him a career. I don’t know that he’d have stayed an NHL player had he not done that. 
He was already like 24-25 at that point and it took him quite some time just to reach the NHL, and he hadn’t exactly wowed anyone by the time the Rangers acquired him.

• Bullseye 1

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

The NY Rangers have an enormous vested interest in developing several young skaters into better skaters.  You could argue no team in professional hockey has more of an incentive to do this given that 3 of their recent 1st round picks have reps as uninspired skaters.

This is a really Rangers-fan-centric POV. Look around the league, there are plenty of teams who have bad skaters.

I think the Rangers should look at what has worked in the past for other teams and re-evaluate the curriculum they provide to young players both at the NHL and minor-league levels.

That's fine, but as I've said 1,000 times, they can't MAKE the player practice the cirriculum in the offseason, and it doesn't happen on any NHL team during the regular season.

Just doing the same thing over and over again is going to produce the same results over and over again.

You should tell Lafreniere that. Doing nothing summer after summer is getting him the same results.

I'm actually shocked that the Rangers do not have a power skating coach at the NHL level given how much trouble they've had developing skaters.

Christian Hmura.

You know what though? I've yet to hear you say "Lafreniere just needs to do the work". That's really all it is. You spend too much time looking for scapegoats for his work ethic. If he isn't in the gym or on the ice July-August, that's on him. Not the team.