• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

A Detailed Look at What the NY Rangers Are Getting in Veteran Coach Peter Laviolette

Phil

On overall style/approach:

While that scene bolstered Laviolette’s reputation as a barker who demands the most out of his players, those who know him best paint a fuller picture of a head coach who’s about to embark on his sixth NHL job, this time with the New York Rangers.

“There were a couple of times where I wasn’t playing so good, and it was continuing on for a week or so,” Hartnell said. “He pulled me in his office and he's like, ‘What's going on? What's bothering you?’ He tried to have that human element to him, as well, which not many coaches have.”

As he prepares to take over a talented team featuring a diverse blend of veterans with an itch for playoff success and young players with something to prove, achieving the balance between task master and empathetic teacher will be paramount.

“He’s learned over the years that you have to really pick and choose those moments when you’re going to get to that point,” said longtime assistant coach Kevin McCarthy, who spent 19 seasons on the bench with Laviolette with four different teams. “It loses its effectiveness if you continue to do that on a regular basis. … He’s got a really good handle on that because the players today don’t react the way they used to when a coach laid the hammer."

“You want to follow this guy into the trenches,” Hartnell said. “There are leaders that I've had – teammates and stuff like that – when they speak, you listen. He just has that presence where, you believe what he's saying, you believe in his system and you believe that you better rip those doors off the hinges and be flying out there, pouring your heart out every shift. Whereas with some coaches, it kind of goes in one ear, out the other. He has that charisma where he can hold everyone accountable and keep everyone engaged.”

On Laviolette's system:

McCarthy described it as "aggressive, puck-possession" hockey, equating it to the hounding style that today's Hurricanes are known for. It's no coincidence, he noted, that Canes coach Rod Brind'Amour played for Laviolette on the '06 championship team.

Generally speaking, his preferred strategy is what Hartnell called "a left-wing lock."

Once possession is lost, the center and right wing are responsible for pushing forward with an active forecheck that attempts to force the opponent in one direction. The left wing sits back in the neutral zone along one side of the ice, with the right defenseman positioned at the same level on the opposite wall. The left defenseman hangs back in the D zone as the last line of defense, while the goalie is encouraged to aggressively play any pucks that are flung behind the net.

The idea is to pressure the opposition into mistakes or force them to play the puck along the wall. If they attempt the latter, there are two skaters (LW and RD) ready to pounce in the neutral zone. And if the puck gets past them, it should be an easy recovery for the lefty D or goalie.

"He wants the defensemen involved," Hartnell said. "It's going to help Adam Fox take his career to the next level, and (K'Andre) Miller, as well. These guys are going to be asked to be up the ice and involved. Who doesn't like to play offense, right? You’d rather be playing offense than grinding defensively. I think it’s huge for the way his system sets up strictly for offensive zone, because everyone's involved, everyone's moving and it just creates a lot of chaos, which will lead to opportunities and missed assignments."

On relationship building:

While Gallant was known for taking a hands-off approach away from the rink, Laviolette is expected to put more effort into relationship building.

Team barbecues, poker nights and family outings are among the events he's frequently organized with past teams.

"He wants to create that atmosphere where these players care for each other off the ice, and that's going to build that trust on the ice. He's always been a big believer in that wherever he's gone," McCarthy said. "You’re doing it for the guy next to you, just as much as you’re doing it for yourself."

Accomplishing that camaraderie during Laviolette's most recent stint with the Capitals proved difficult.

Access was limited due to the COVID-19 pandemic, which McCarthy believes contributed to D.C. being their least-successful coaching stop.

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2023/07/24/what-are-the-rangers-getting-in-well-traveled-coach-peter-laviolette/70422346007/

• JIMMY! 2
  • ALEXIS! 1
  • Believe 1

30 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Along with Muse and Peca, I don't know how anyone can read this and think they're running out the same product they have for the last two years.

Well, they're two different things. From a coaching perspective, I can't find a single fault. I think the Lav hire, as "uninspiring" as it was at first, will prove to be exactly the right hire for this group. But — and this is a huge but — I still have major reservations as to whether or not even he can get full buy in from the team's top players.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Phil said:

Well, they're two different things. From a coaching perspective, I can't find a single fault. I think the Lav hire, as "uninspiring" as it was at first, will prove to be exactly the right hire for this group. But — and this is a huge but — I still have major reservations as to whether or not even he can get full buy in from the team's top players.

Don't forget whether the team is even good enough to compete in the absolutely ridiculous east + metro division. On paper they're good enough, we all have questions on the ice. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valriera said:

Don't forget whether the team is even good enough to compete in the absolutely ridiculous east + metro division. On paper they're good enough, we all have questions on the ice. 

Pretty much every team has questions.  With the cap being so low every team is flawed.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

I foresee Trouba liking this style. He apparently spoke to a bunch of people about leadership when he got the C. I think if it trickles down from Lav and Trouba, the team as a whole will buy in. CK and Zib love each other so Id imagine they are into the camaraderie also. Here's to hoping!!

3 hours ago, Long live the King said:

Along with Muse and Peca, I don't know how anyone can read this and think they're running out the same product they have for the last two years.

Agree. Nor do I understand how folks shouldn't be encouraged by this. They've hired coaches specifically to address every single bullet of where they struggled last season. They are going from a disconnected cheerleader who doesn't know X's and O's, to what may be the most specialized, intricate, and detail-oriented group of coaches we've seen in a very, very long time.

• Believe 1

3 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Pretty much every team has questions.  With the cap being so low every team is flawed.

Yep, agreed. We have our holes. So do the other top teams in the division.

New Jersey looks good. But are Vanecek/Schmid good enough to take the next jump? What if one or both get exposed? Their blue line isn’t anything to get worried about either. Carolina? Same issues as there have been, not enough scoring. They have their game breakers, but not as many as their counterparts up top in the Metro.

We know what our questions are. Others know what their own teams deficiencies are. But now, lacking a system won’t be one of the flaws we have.

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Believe 1

4 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Yep, agreed. We have our holes. So do the other top teams.

New Jersey looks good. But are Vanecek/Schmid good enough to take the next jump? What if one or both get exposed? Their blue line isn’t anything to get worried about either. Carolina? Same issues as there have been, not enough scoring. They have their game breakers, but not as many as their counterparts up top in the Metro.

We know what our questions are. Others know what their own teams deficiencies are. But now, lacking a system won’t be one of the flaws we have.

Right. And frankly, when you get beat by a better team, sometimes that's sports. But they didn't get beat by a better team, they got beat by a team who was prepared to play faster than they were. 

I can deal with losing to a better team, but this time they won't be losing because they're not prepared. 

I saw this tweet and came here for some banter on.  So Bread, Krieds, and Laf will be defense first?  Who’s our great right wing forecheckers? 

Peter Laviolette is expected to implement a “left-wing lock” system designed to create extra possessions and call on all players to up their intensity.

“You better rip those doors off the hinges and be flying out there.”

This is the best coaching staff they've had since the Torts years. There are no excuses for anyone now. Having said that, the jury is still out because this is the first real coach this group has had. It's been two years of Gallant and three years of Quinn prior to that. Not great. Basically all of the flaws that have been behind the bench have been rectified. Now it's time to execute. Considering how all of the players were literally begging for help in the post season meetings, I think they're ready.

• Believe 1

There's going to be a whole lot more than just a "Left wing lock" out there.  Although the LWL should work pretty well for a team like the Rangers; it will try to funnel an opposition breakout to one specific part of the ice that has a lot of defensive support.  Anything that goes the other way is usually a missed pass, broken play or ends up missed pass that may end up as an icing call.

When done correctly it's a very tough system to get a lot of chances off the rush.  I still think there's going to be a whole lot more than that, implemented over time.  This is a pretty good start though.  But this is a forechecking scheme.  I'm looking forward to see what we put in place for a defensive coverage system when a team gets the puck in our zone and starts moving it around, along with what our breakout plan is and how the wings get back inside of defenders and support breakout plays.

All in time...and I expect it to take a little bit to get a grasp of, but we WILL get there!!  There's seems like there's a light at the end of this tunnel right now, and I gotta admit, I love everything I've read about Laviolette so far.

I'm dying to see them even play a fucking pre-season game at this point!

• Like 1

Having a plan > having no plan

That will be improvements in structure regardless. They will be a more cohesive team. 

Point of clarification, in a left-wing lock situation, the left wing is not "playing defense", He's simply not pressuring the puck. He's waiting in the neutral zone with the defenseman and looking for a turnover or to intercept a pass. If the puck makes it past f1 and f2, then f3 (the LW) becomes the player to pressure the puck on the left (remember f1 and f2 are supposed to be flushing the other team to that side of the ice). If the puck makes it to the right side of the ice, then somebody messed up and the system broke down. 

Point being, you don't have to have Selke candidates on your left wing to employ this system, they just need to be quick, smart and opportunistic players which we hope Lafreniere can be. The other 2 already are. 

The fact that each player on the line will now have a role to play in the forechecking scheme will make the forecheck much more effective. 

Edited by Pete
  • Like 1
  • Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

1 minute ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Quick, smart and opportunistic don't sound like adjectives many people would associate Donut Hole with so far in his career.

Quick no, opportunistic yes, smart maybe... That's how I'm grading him

7 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Quick, smart and opportunistic don't sound like adjectives many people would associate Donut Hole with so far in his career.

Agreed. He's really just... there. 

I don't buy into the opportunistic description he's somehow adopted this offseason. 

He came in with people labeling him as a leader, gritty, a good skater, a guy who sees the ice at another level because of his set up ability. 

Now he's just "opportunistic " because he popped in some bad goals on defensive blunders and awful goaltending. 

He needs to up his entire game here. The franchise really depends on it. 

That's not to say Kakko doesn't need to start producing. 

Edited by The Dude
  • Applause 1

On 7/24/2023 at 10:49 AM, Long live the King said:

Easy.  They've essentially got the same core lineup (vets plus Laf, Kakko, and Chytil) that's underachieved the last 2 years.  If you think this is a Gallant problem, you are inspired.  If you think this is an organization and player issue, then meh.  I'd suggest you look at the Rangers run for more than 2 years, and that the Rangers have/had more than a Gallant issue.

The Laviolette hire will give you a bounce early in the season, and then we'll see what this team can do.  Fair/unfair, if the Rangers get at least to the conference finals, great.  Less than that, and I'm not satisfied.