• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Sign Nick Bonino to 1-year/$800k Deal

The Dude

UPDATE, 2:49 p.m. − The Rangers have added yet another forward in veteran Nick Bonino, which may be the final piece to their lineup puzzle.

It's a one-year deal worth $800,000, according to a source with direct knowledge of the situation. The 35-year-old center is expected to slot in as the team's fourth-line center and provide yet another penalty killing option.

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2023/07/01/ny-rangers-nhl-free-agency-2023-news-signings-rumors-jonathan-quick/70374291007/

• Phil pinned this topic

The 2016 Stanley Cup is ours!

For real though, it's probably a good call to sign all these depth guys early. NYR have sent lots of draft capital out in recent years to pick it up at the deadline. This is easier and only costs money.

Gotta give Drury a ton of credit here. We're at 7m in cap space for Laf and Miller, we're currently at 12/6/2, the guys taking up the cap that won't be there (Belzile, maybe Pitlick) are equal to ELCs. Wheeler's a hell of a buy low that slots into the top 6, Quick fine as a BUG.

Mission accomplished today, IMO. Lock up Laf and Miller and let's go.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

Just now, LindG1000 said:

Gotta give Drury a ton of credit here. We're at 7m in cap space for Laf and Miller, we're currently at 12/6/2, the guys taking up the cap that won't be there (Belzile, maybe Pitlick) are equal to ELCs. Wheeler's a hell of a buy low that slots into the top 6, Quick fine as a BUG.

Mission accomplished today, IMO. Lock up Laf and Miller and let's go.

Gotta tell you guys....I'm liking me some Drury!!!

Great stuff today!!!  Wheeler is an absolute steal for a year, and after next season I think the shit hits the fan with cap space.  Between NMC's moving to modifieds, and hopefully a cap increase, we may just get ourselves out of a bit of this crunch.

• Like 1

I'd like to see them bring in Kerfoot  on the cheap if possible. Versatile guy that plays hard in the playoffs. Rather a guy like that over Pitlick and who ever the other guy is. Maybe someone a bit more noteworthy for D? 

But yeah. These types of moves were needed the last 2 years. Even for last years trade deadline. Should spent to the cap that year by adding more depth (Kessel -Domi)  Not sure why they didn't stack their depth back then. It's not like Hartford was filled with young prospects that these guys would be blocking. 

Hopefully all of these aren't signings that Drury feels the need to hold onto if they stink. Over the years he's held onto guys that he thought he'd be able to trade and didn't. Hajek, Gauthier, Leschyshyn,  Tinordi (and im sure theres others), were guys that he should have sent down way earlier than he did. 

Edited by The Dude

• Phil unpinned this topic
3 hours ago, The Dude said:

I'd like to see them bring in Kerfoot  on the cheap if possible. Versatile guy that plays hard in the playoffs. Rather a guy like that over Pitlick and who ever the other guy is. Maybe someone a bit more noteworthy for D? 

But yeah. These types of moves were needed the last 2 years. Even for last years trade deadline. Should spent to the cap that year by adding more depth (Kessel -Domi)  Not sure why they didn't stack their depth back then. It's not like Hartford was filled with young prospects that these guys would be blocking. 

Hopefully all of these aren't signings that Drury feels the need to hold onto if they stink. Over the years he's held onto guys that he thought he'd be able to trade and didn't. Hajek, Gauthier, Leschyshyn,  Tinordi (and im sure theres others), were guys that he should have sent down way earlier than he did. 

Meh.

He did what he had to do with Tank and Kane. The no cap space hurt him adding depth, and he sacrificed it to add those two.

But I can’t blame him for doing so.

As for the guys he added today, depth and guys you expect to actually see in the NHL, I don’t see any of them being here beyond this year.

These guys and their agents know the cap is going up next year… and fairly substantially. They’re passing up some money this year cause they have to.

Thats not the case a year from today I don’t believe.

• 1 month later...