• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Draft D Drew Fortescue in 3rd Round (90th Pick)

Drew a Penalty

This kid is fantastic.  Played for Marty St. Louis for years at the Mid-Fairfield Rangers.  Always was very poised and a very good skater.  I haven't seen him play since 2021 but I'd imagine he kept making the same strides.  I like this pick a lot.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

90. Drew Fortescue, LHD, USA U-18 (NTDP)

April 28, 2005 | 6′ 1″ | 176 pounds

Tier: Has a chance to play games

Skating: NHL average
Puck skills: NHL average
Hockey sense: Below NHL average
Compete: Above NHL average
Shot: Below NHL average

Background: Drew Fortescue was a notable part of the U.S. NTDP blue line this season. He didn’t post big scoring totals, including one goal on the season, but didn’t get much power-play time either instead being more used on the PK. He is committed to Boston College.

Analysis: Fortescue is a decent-sized defenseman who is solid in his own end. He defends well due to his mobility and also strong physical game. He closes on checks well with his feet and separates checks from pucks. Fortescue isn’t a natural offensive type. He has decent puck skills and shows some moments as a puckhandler, but lacks vision and offensive instincts. That lack of puck game will be an issue as he advances levels. I think he could play games but the defensive play will need to be outstanding.

https://theathletic.com/4649257/2023/06/28/new-york-rangers-nhl-draft-2023-grades-picks-analysis/

Drew Fortescue — LHD, U.S. NTDP, 6-foot-1

Fortescue really grew on me as his two seasons at the program progressed. He didn’t score his first (and only) goal of his draft year until the year-end U18 Worlds, but he became a really solid player for that team both ways. His game is mostly about efficiency and simplicity, but he came out of his shell as time went on and began to establish himself as a reliable player who was also more and more comfortable expanding his ambitions. With a little more confidence, he began to step up physically and looked to involve himself in the offense when opportunities presented themselves — while still playing well off of busier partners.

https://theathletic.com/4510755/2023/06/09/2023-nhl-draft-missed-prospects/

9 minutes ago, siddious said:

Sounds like a defensive defenseman.  Nothing wrong with that. Does he hit?

For now, this is a player that can do a bunch of things on the ice but doesn’t really have a true calling card or role. He looks bigger than his listed 6’1”, 176 pounds. He has the propensity to play a little bigger than that too. Not that he’s a killer by any stretch of the imagination, but there’s a bit of physicality to him at times. He can take opponents off their feet with a hit, especially along the boards. Some of the hits that require more precise timing, especially those in open ice...he can end up whiffing...but we appreciate the effort.

From the 2023 Black Book.

• Like 1

• Drew a Penalty changed the title to Rangers Draft D Drew Fortescue in 3rd Round (90th Pick)