• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Halak Expects 'to Have More Conversations' With Drury Heading Towards July 1

Phil

“Jaro Halak is 100 percent committed to playing in the NHL next year,” Walsh said Monday via text message. “We’ve had some preliminary conversations with the New York Rangers about the future but the focus on their end has been on hiring a head coach. Now that is done, I expect to have more conversations with Chris Drury as we head towards July 1st.”

https://theathletic.com/4622803/2023/06/19/nhl-free-agent-goaltenders-lebrun/?source=user_shared_article

I don't mind having Halak back.  I thought he did a pretty admirable job last season.  The only thing is, with the Igor window slowly starting to close, we may have to find a good young goalie that will be able to step in and take his place in a few years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Phil said:

4 hours ago, Phil said:

We’ve had some preliminary conversations with the New York Rangers about the future but the focus on their end has been on hiring a head coach. Now that is done, I expect to have more conversations with Chris Drury as we head towards July 1st.”

what? Drury cant negotiate two deals at the same time? Does he now need to take a weeks vacation from the long and grueling process of negotiating Laviolette's contract?

Halak is an end-of-career vet.  Unless he's a superstar he's going to have to wait for the team to talk contract.

I think he'd be a good guy to bring back because he played pretty well last season but Drury is going to have similar options to replace him and there's always the pressure to get a young guy in to begin preparing for Igor's contract negotiations.

23 minutes ago, Phil said:

No idea. It's possible the player and agent didn't want to negotiate before they knew who the coach was going to be?

what' the difference who's the next head coach is going to be?  the only coach Drury should be listening to about Halak's ability to play next season is Allaire.  

45 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Halak is an end-of-career vet.  Unless he's a superstar he's going to have to wait for the team to talk contract.

I think he'd be a good guy to bring back because he played pretty well last season but Drury is going to have similar options to replace him and there's always the pressure to get a young guy in to begin preparing for Igor's contract negotiations.

It seems very odd that we are hearing about Halak as a first order of business on the player contract side of things, unless he’s coming for a min contract or close to it that doesn’t impact the team’s final cap number compared to an internal option even if the internal option is a “downgrade”.

28 minutes ago, Phil said:

It matters very much. If the Rangers hired, say, Babcock, it's entirely plausible that Halak has no desire to play for a coach that verbally abusive to his players.

i dont think Halak is in any position to pick and choose who he plays for at this stage of his career.  It's pretty much get what you can or go home.  I'm sure there isnt a line of GMs knocking on his door

40 minutes ago, CCCP said:

i dont think Halak is in any position to pick and choose who he plays for at this stage of his career.  It's pretty much get what you can or go home.  I'm sure there isnt a line of GMs knocking on his door

Except he's a free agent, so he literally controls who he plays for at this stage of his career. He's coming off a 17-win, .919  season. I'm sure someone will want him if the Rangers don't.

• Bullseye 1

38 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

The reality is that he’s 38 and he’s going to get basically the same offer from any team that’s interested in him.

Yes, probably, but the question was around why he might only be looking to negotiate now that the Rangers have a coach, and I think it's reasonable to suggest that he was likely waiting to see who they hired before he made his call.

34 minutes ago, Phil said:

Except he's a free agent, so he literally controls who he plays for at this stage of his career. He's coming off a 17-win, .919  season. I'm sure someone will want him if the Rangers don't.

Where are you seeing those numbers?

10-9 .903 last year. There's actually some pretty good reason to believe he's going to be sub-.900 trash as soon as next season.

Bah, read the wrong line. It's .903 and 10 wins.

I still think someone will offer him a deal. He's not gonna be out in the cold. But he's definitely well past the point he can command a higher price tag.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Bah, read the wrong line. It's .903 and 10 wins.

I still think someone will offer him a deal. He's not gonna be out in the cold. But he's definitely well past the point he can command a higher price tag.

Halak started horrifically, but after Christmas, he had a similar line to Shesty. The Rangers should keep him, but at the league minimum with no silly trade protection.

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 1

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

Where are you seeing those numbers?

10-9 .903 last year. There's actually some pretty good reason to believe he's going to be sub-.900 trash as soon as next season.

38 and one year very soon he will be in serious decline.  Hope it's not on our watch.  Would prefer another option, and there are many.

7 hours ago, Pete said:

Halak started horrifically, but after Christmas, he had a similar line to Shesty. The Rangers should keep him, but at the league minimum with no silly trade protection.

Just give him bonuses like @Drew a Penalty said. He'll probably need/want some trade protection, but no full NMC or anything like that. Make it a 20-team list or whatever.