• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NHL Staff Mock Draft 2.0: Charlie Stramel to NYR?

Phil

23. New York Rangers: Charlie Stramel, C, Wisconsin (Big Ten)

The Rangers have nearly zero organizational depth down the middle and, in keeping with the trend in Chris Drury’s first two drafts as GM of taking higher-end forwards with some bite (Adam Sykora, Brennan Othmann), Stramel makes sense here. He may not have the offensive upside of some of the forwards taken around him but he has size and a high motor. The Rangers did well taking a raw, skilled, Wisconsin-bound kid from Minnesota five years ago, so maybe they luck out again after seeing how K’Andre Miller worked out. —Arthur Staple

https://theathletic.com/4601018/2023/06/14/nhl-mock-draft-2023-staff/?source=twitterhq

--

Educate us @Drew a Penalty

I haven’t seen any of Stramel but the Black Book does not rate him very highly. They have him at 49.

Some of the excerpts about him include:

“Mid rounder for me” - NHL Scout, December 2022

“He competes hard but is struggling. I had a lot of time for him last year.” - NHL Scout, December 2022

“Poor kid is in an absolute sh*t show. Not much fun during your draft year.” - NHL Scout, December 2022

“Christmas break didn’t help his draft stock but this kid didn’t suddenly become a no draft. He has some tools that make him worth a pick in the middle rounds.” - NHL Scout, January 2022

“Big and strong and plays hard. He is in a F****d situation so I’m cutting him some slack this year. He’s a 3rd or 4th rounder.” - NHL Scout, February 2023

“I’m not sure any player regressed more than this one this season, certainly on the U.S. side at least. The bottom fell out here more than almost any player I can recall in recent years.” - HP Scout, Michael Farkas

Seems like his stock is dropping. Probably not worth the 23rd pick if you can trade back and he’s your guy. I’m sure there’ll be more talented fallers, though.

28 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Button has him at 68. Most of the rankings on EliteProspects have him at 40+. Bobby Mac hasn’t done his final ranking yet. Just seems like a really shitty pick for 23.

26 minutes ago, Phil said:

Like I said, perfect pick for the Rangers.

Phil beat me to it but I was going to say this has rangers written all over it. I haven’t read the scouting report but if the word “leadership” is used at all put some money down on them taking this kid.

Isn't the old scouting regime gone?  No way they should take this kid that early!  If it were the old scouts, maybe...but the days of picking Dylan McIlrath's is over.

I hope that Drury is a lot smarter than this!  I hope Arthur Staple is bored and just trying to troll everyone here!

"The bottom fell out"????  No way!  I don't see it!

Just now, Ozzy said:

Isn't the old scouting regime gone?  No way they should take this kid that early!  If it were the old scouts, maybe...but the days of picking Dylan McIlrath's is over.

I hope that Drury is a lot smarter than this!  I hope Arthur Staple is bored and just trying to troll everyone here!

Last 15 regimes have all sucked. What makes you think anything has changed?

9 minutes ago, siddious said:

Last 15 regimes have all sucked. What makes you think anything has changed?

Dude....you ain't shittin'! 

I think the draft is kind of a crap-shoot to begin with.....but good Christ, we've had some bad reaches in the past.  I'm talkin' "pre-Drury"

We have hit on a few lately, from what we've heard on Othmann and Culleye.  Chytil and Kakko are looking like they're getting there, and Miller/Schneider were pretty solid as far as I'm concerned.  Maybe the new trend is starting to get a little better.

A guy can hope!  LOL

Edited by Ozzy

Just now, Ozzy said:

Dude....you ain't shittin'! 

I think the draft is kind of a crap-shoot to begin with.....but good Christ, we've had some bad reaches in the past.  I'm talkin' "pre-Drury"

We have hit on a few lately, from what we've heard on Othmann and Culleye.  Chytil and Kakko are looking like they're getting there, and Miller/Schneider were pretty solid as far as I'm concerned.  Maybe the new trend is starting to get a little batter.

A guy can hope!  LOL

Drafting has been average at best. Too many east whiffs is the problem. 

developing is the other half of the problem. 

I was thrilled to hear they were gonna semi-rebuild and then I saw how that goes in NY and I’m over it. 

• TroCheckmark 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

18 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Yes. I'm being sarcastic. I actually have a lot more confidence in the Drury-era drafting, which I've begun counting on since the Othmann draft. There's been a few early misses (like Grubbe) who they've pulled the chute early on, but there's a pattern that's starting to emerge that I really like. Lots of meat and potatoes.

• Believe 1

7 minutes ago, siddious said:

Drafting has been average at best. Too many east whiffs is the problem. 

developing is the other half of the problem. 

I was thrilled to hear they were gonna semi-rebuild and then I saw how that goes in NY and I’m over it. 

When I heard Gallant say in that presser that it wasn't his job to develop players, I was like..."Wanna bet, dumb ass??"

That's what I think is a HUGE reason we are where we are with the kids.  They really haven't developed quickly because of that approach in my estimation.  They will now!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Drew a Penalty said:

I haven’t seen any of Stramel but the Black Book does not rate him very highly. They have him at 49.

Some of the excerpts about him include:

Seems like his stock is dropping. Probably not worth the 23rd pick if you can trade back and he’s your guy. I’m sure there’ll be more talented fallers, though.

What happened this season? Why is he fucked? What happened at Christmas break?

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

When I heard Gallant say in that presser that it wasn't his job to develop players, I was like..."Wanna bet, dumb ass??"

That's what I think is a HUGE reason we are where we are with the kids.  They really haven't developed quickly because of that approach in my estimation.  They will now!

The moment he said that he lost me. 

like guy do you even realize what team you’re coaching?

• TroCheckmark 1

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yes. I'm being sarcastic. I actually have a lot more confidence in the Drury-era drafting, which I've begun counting on since the Othmann draft. There's been a few early misses (like Grubbe) who they've pulled the chute early on, but there's a pattern that's starting to emerge that I really like. Lots of meat and potatoes.

I'm really a big proponent of Drury, Chief.  I think he's going to bring us to the promised land.  I hope Dolan has some patience with him.  He is still learning, and he's going to be even better with contracts and draft picks as his tenure grows.

He's still a "rookie GM" too, and I really feel we have a winner in him.  He took his time getting a coach, and I think he made a solid choice.  I think it's high time we focused on creating a winning culture here, where young players can develop, and be played in situations and systems where they can be successful.

By the way, man....How was your birthday??  😉

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

22 minutes ago, Pete said:

What happened this season? Why is he fucked? What happened at Christmas break?

More from the Black Book.

We’re not sure what happened to his game in the second half of the year, but everything just fell apart. Pure hockey sense doesn’t typically waver much at this point in the development arc, but his anticipation and details fell off. Early in the year, there was more pace to his game, better quickness, more engagement. By the time he got to the World Junior Championships, when he was trying to really up his pace of play, he started falling down more and eating a lot more heavy enemy contact. Fast forward to the Big Ten Tournament at the end of the year and he was a liability on several shifts. He looked slower later in the year too. He has a wide skating base, wide hips, and a hunched over skating posture when trying to get up to speed. He had some quickness to him and some closing speed early in the year, even if it wasn’t anything special. Towards the end of the year, he looked a little worn, and his skating prowess slunk to a notch below average overall, but it projects a little higher than that and our grade reflects that.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

I'm holding out hope that Benson falls far enough to justify a trade up. I don't care that he's another LW, he has skill and absolute dawg in him.

I'm all about following the trend of adding more dawgs. Give me guys like Easton Cowan and Kalan Lind.

By the time he gets here, Kreider will be long gone and we'll probably need some "Big Dawg" LW!  So yeah...You know those young players pretty well, Drew.  I'll take your lead, man!

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

By the time he gets here, Kreider will be long gone and we'll probably need some "Big Dawg" LW!  So yeah...You know those young players pretty well, Drew.  I'll take your lead, man!

This kid is good. Really good. He should be gone long before the Rangers have a chance, but you never know how a draft will play out exactly. He's smaller, 5'10", and not a standout skater for his size. Cole Caufield shits goals and he fell to 15th in a much weaker year. Teams duking it out for centers and defensemen could cause him to fall to similar territory as Caufield. Zero chance he reaches 23.

• Cheers 1