• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Penn Station Reconstruction Would Force Rangers Out for More Than a Year?

This would require a major reconstruction of the playing area at the Barclay's Center.  

The ice surface is the bottom layer at MSG which is covered by an insulating layer and then the hardwood court for the Knicks.  It's not clear it if would be economically viable for the Barclay's Center to make the transition from a single season to host the Rangers.

They'd have to redo the playing area twice in the process.  Once when they put down the ice surface and then once again when they removed it at the end of the year.

On 6/9/2023 at 10:24 AM, 4EverRangerFrank said:

There was noise about building a new arena on the west side a few years ago. Anyone recall that? 

Yeah I remember reading something about this. West side in vicinity of Greenwich village if I’m not mistaken. But again if I’m not mistaken issue was the public transportation 

Edited by Art20c

26 minutes ago, Art20c said:

Yeah I remember reading something about this. West side in vicinity of Greenwich village if I’m not mistaken. But again if I’m not mistaken issue was the public transportation 

There’s no where in the city this won’t be true though. Penn has no transit lirr and every subway almost. It’s arguably a better hub than Times Square. 

How do you make the Meadowlands playable for indoor sports?

NM: apparently there is still an indoor arena there that is not used for major professional sports events.

Edited by Br4d

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

How do you make the Meadowlands playable for indoor sports?

NM: apparently there is still an indoor arena there that is not used for major professional sports events.

Yeah, they never got rid of Continental Airlines Arena. Think they use it for TV shows.

FWIW, I’m friends with an engineer who works at MSG who says this entire idea is nothing short of preposterous and very unlikely to be green lit. He said nothing will surprise him because this city is the way it is these days. But this project would be extremely complicated.

Feels like every year we hear murmurs of something eventually happening. I just don’t see it.