• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rep Bet: Call the Date Gallant Is Fired

2 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

The window with this team is wide open  and the talent is the room. Need the right coach and a few tweeks. 

Bingo. People saying that the star players suck and need to be traded and that there is no window for this team, That's batshit crazy.

I really think there are people who don't remember back in the day when zuccarello was our high score with 58 points and we could only win games two to one because of Lundquist. Sorry, but I'm not trying to go back there. 

31 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

With Gallant and Drury going at it, and some of the players saying they don't care for him, without actually saying it, seems pretty damning to me. lol

Maybe I’m just dense (probably) but I really didn’t read that at all from the players. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, siddious said:

Maybe I’m just dense (probably) but I really didn’t read that at all from the players. 

I kind of do. I just get the vibes that they don't really respect him that much. Sure, they might enjoy playing for him because he lets guys do their thing. But, that mentality only gets you so far.

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

I kind of do. I just get the vibes that they don't really respect him that much. Sure, they might enjoy playing for him because he lets guys do their thing. But, that mentality only gets you so far.

Maybe I need to rewatch the exit interviews

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

Bingo. People saying that the star players suck and need to be traded and that there is no window for this team, That's batshit crazy.

I really think there are people who don't remember back in the day when zuccarello was our high score with 58 points and we could only win games two to one because of Lundquist. Sorry, but I'm not trying to go back there. 

While I agree with the point, we've never been closer to a cup than in 2014 and 15. With a lot less talent on the team and also a coach that "everyone" hated.

And Zucc > Panarin 😙

43 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Yeah, kinda. The season can still be salvaged and we've seen teams win the Cup after changing coach mid-season before.

Again - I'm not advocating for this approach, I just have a feeling this is what's going to happen. Hopefully I'm wrong lol.

I guess it all depends on the coach, but i just can't support a mid-season firing. 

I'd reckon more teams win the Cup after they hire a new coach than teams win the Cup after firing a coach mid-season. In fact, the only team i can think of that recently did that is the Penguins... twice (2016 and 2009). So I wouldn't really hang my hat on that sort of thing happening. The Rangers have good players, but they don't have a Crosby or a Malkin. 

EDIT: Forgot about the Blues in 2019 and 2012 Kings. Fuck me, maybe firing him mid-season is the way! lol

7 minutes ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

I guess it all depends on the coach, but i just can't support a mid-season firing. 

I'd reckon more teams win the Cup after they hire a new coach than teams win the Cup after firing a coach mid-season. In fact, the only team i can think of that recently did that is the Penguins... twice (2016 and 2009). So I wouldn't really hang my hat on that sort of thing happening. The Rangers have good players, but they don't have a Crosby or a Malkin. 

EDIT: Forgot about the Blues in 2019 and 2012 Kings. Fuck me, maybe firing him mid-season is the way! lol

It would obviously not be the goal at the start of the season, just how I think it would work out IF he starts the season here.

And yeah, there may be something to it lol. 4 times in 14 years is actually a lot when you consider the fact that a contender rarely changes the coach mid-season.

Just now, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

It would obviously not be the goal at the start of the season, just how I think it would work out IF he starts the season here.

And yeah, there may be something to it lol. 4 times in 14 years is actually a lot when you consider the fact that a contender rarely changes the coach mid-season.

Let's put it this way: I'd like for him to get fired now and hire a replacement so the players can maximize their time getting comfortable and learning the system. But I guess I won't be super opposed to a mid-season firing.

• Like 1

It’s not believed that Drury has any appetite to dump Gallant for any other coach, unless something unexpected happens in Pittsburgh between the Penguins and Mike Sullivan; the crop of available veteran coaches, from Peter Laviolette to Bruce Boudreau to Darryl Sutter, is not likely to sway the Rangers into making a move.

Edited by Cash or Czech

6 minutes ago, siddious said:

Yes. If the players aren’t responding to him at all then there’s no reason to keep him. 

if they like him I’m sure that will influence drurys decision

What's there to respond?  He doesnt coach.  Goodrow said it

Goodrow "He lets you do your thing".

Players like him b/c he just lets them play their game.  

9 minutes ago, siddious said:

Yes. If the players aren’t responding to him at all then there’s no reason to keep him. 

if they like him I’m sure that will influence drurys decision

Agreed if Drury is on the fence.  But if someone is not effective and the players like him you move on.  There seems to be a group of coaches who were effective but loose the room quickly now days.  I can't have guys hating the coach but enjoying playing for him is just icing on the cake. 

12 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

What's there to respond?  He doesnt coach.  Goodrow said it

Goodrow "He lets you do your thing".

Players like him b/c he just lets them play their game.  

Let’s be honest here though. That quote doesn’t necessarily mean he doesn’t coach. It could easily mean that he doesn’t try to force you to be a player you’re not. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Let’s be honest here though. That quote doesn’t necessarily mean he doesn’t coach. It could easily mean that he doesn’t try to force you to be a player you’re not. 

I might think that if I only read the quote and didn't see the product.

Edited by Pete