• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2022-23 ECSF: Maple Leafs vs. Panthers

Phil

Who wins?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

• Leafs in 4
    • Leafs in 5
    • Leafs in 6
    • Leafs in 7
    • Panthers in 4
    • Panthers in 5
    • Panthers in 6
    • Panthers in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

BSBH Game Day Thread Logo

(2A) Toronto Maple Leafs vs. (WC2) Florida Panthers

Tuesday, May 2: 7 p.m., Florida at Toronto (ESPN, SN, CBC, TVAS)  
Thursday, May 4: TBD, Florida at Toronto (TBD)

Rest of schedule TBD

REGULAR SEASON STANDINGS:

Maple Leafs: 50-21-11, 111 points

Panthers: 42-32-8, 92 points

SEASON SERIES:

TOR 3-0-1; FLA 1-1-2

GAME BREAKERS:

Maple Leafs: Matthews' five goals led the Maple Leafs in the first round. There were several shifts where he simply refused to be knocked off the puck in the offensive zone and deserved kudos for his defensive play. His penchant for stripping opponents of pucks in the neutral and defensive zone is a key element in a dangerous transition game.

Panthers: There's not much Tkachuk can't do. He scores. He hits. He agitates. He gets into the heads of his opponents. His five goals are tied with defenseman Brandon Montour for the team lead and his 16 penalty minutes are fourth. Tkachuk is the heart-and-soul of the Panthers and the leader of their us-against-the-world mentality.

GOALTENDING:

Maple Leafs: Ilya Samsonov's stats (3.14 goals-against average, .900 save percentage) aren't overly impressive when you first look at them. But dig deeper and you'll find he played much better than they showed. He won all three games on the road, in overtime, and is an example of how it doesn't matter how many saves you make, it's when you make them.

Panthers: It seems like months ago when the Panthers were resting their hopes on Alex Lyon. Then Sergei Bobrovsky took over and won the final three games. Bobrovsky's issues are twofold: staying consistent and healthy. When he's both, he can be a difference-maker, like his 44 saves in Game 5 that included stopping Brad Marchand on a breakaway with one second remaining in the third period.

X FACTORS:

Maple Leafs: Matthew Knies signed with the Maple Leafs one day after playing for the University of Minnesota at the NCAA Frozen Four. There were questions about how he would handle the physical toll. The 20-year-old forward answered them with three assists in five games and some nice work along the boards leading to Tavares' game-winner. Whether Knies plays in the top six or on the third line with O'Reilly and Noel Acciari, he was one of the more effective players against the Lightning and could be the same against the Panthers.

Panthers: Sam Bennett caused all sorts of havoc for the Bruins with his sandpaper style and penchant of going to the so-called dirty areas in front of the opposing net. Don't expect that to change. He has five points (three goals, two assists) and 22 penalty minutes, showing he can affect the outcome of games in many ways.

WILL WIN IF:

Maple Leafs: Their best players play like their best players. The Big Four had a lucrative first-round series but must keep the momentum going against a physical Panthers team. Secondary scoring is always welcome, but Matthews, Marner, Tavares and Nylander need to perform this time of year. Don't forget about Reilly, who had four assists in Game 2, the overtime winner in Game 3 and a late tying goal in Game 4, all victories.

Panthers: Bobrovsky is on his game. The Panthers allowed more goals (272) this season than the other seven remaining teams in the playoffs, so Bobrovsky could be very busy in the coming days.

MORE:

• Morphinity 2.0 changed the title to 2022-23 ECSF: Maple Leafs vs. Panthers

Would like to see the Leafs eliminated and continue the drought....Would be a kick in the nuts to the NHL for a Panthers/Devils or Canes ECF.  

However on the flip side, it would be kind of sweet to see Tavares move onto the ECF and possibly on the way to raising the Cup, now that would be a kick in the nuts to the Islander fans....Tavares in his Leafs PJs raising the cup.  

The NHL probably isn't too excited about a Florida/Hurricanes Conference Final, but still a long way to go. Florida is playing great right now, and just fun to watch. If they're able to get past Toronto, it's the best Maurice has done since the 2002 Hurricanes. There, he was also just lucky that Irbe got hot.

I think Maurice is underrated as a coach because he worked in smaller markets for Hurricanes, Jets, Panthers with only a brief 2 year stint with Leafs.  You could argue he should have gotten more out of the Jets, but overall I think he's done a credible job of coaching teams that didn't have the talent to contend for the Cup.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/coaches/mauripa99c.html

15 hours ago, fletch said:

I hope the winner of this series plays in the SCF.  Both teams are playing well right now and attack.  Would be a much more interesting match with the West than either NJ or CAR for me.

It pains me to say but I think NJ would be a good matchup for the west as well as Florida. Obviously hoping FLA makes it happen because if NJ wins a cup, I'll be angry......the whole off season and probably through next season.....

1 hour ago, fletch said:

I think Maurice is underrated as a coach because he worked in smaller markets for Hurricanes, Jets, Panthers with only a brief 2 year stint with Leafs.  You could argue he should have gotten more out of the Jets, but overall I think he's done a credible job of coaching teams that didn't have the talent to contend for the Cup.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/coaches/mauripa99c.html

I actually completely forgot he coached the Leafs. lol

6 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

The NHL probably isn't too excited about a Florida/Hurricanes Conference Final, but still a long way to go. Florida is playing great right now, and just fun to watch. If they're able to get past Toronto, it's the best Maurice has done since the 2002 Hurricanes. There, he was also just lucky that Irbe got hot.

I think I went to one of the playoff games at the Meadowlands during that Cup run for the Canes.  I have no memory of how or where I got the tix, I would never spend money on a Devils game not including the Rangers.  They must have belonged the guy I went to the game with.  But they were the best seats of my life.  Literally first or second row against the glass behind one of the nets.  I don't think Irbe played the game we went to though, I remember it being Kevin Weekes.  I was in 12th grade so I don't remember 100% but I'm pretty sure Irbe had a little cold streak during those playoffs and Weekes played a few games, maybe even a full round, before Irbe went on another heater and was back in net for the Final.

10 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I think I went to one of the playoff games at the Meadowlands during that Cup run for the Canes.  I have no memory of how or where I got the tix, I would never spend money on a Devils game not including the Rangers.  They must have belonged the guy I went to the game with.  But they were the best seats of my life.  Literally first or second row against the glass behind one of the nets.  I don't think Irbe played the game we went to though, I remember it being Kevin Weekes.  I was in 12th grade so I don't remember 100% but I'm pretty sure Irbe had a little cold streak during those playoffs and Weekes played a few games, maybe even a full round, before Irbe went on another heater and was back in net for the Final.

You are correct. Irbe was cold for a bit, yeah. Overall, they got some hot goaltending that postseason from the both of them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

It pains me to say but I think NJ would be a good matchup for the west as well as Florida. Obviously hoping FLA makes it happen because if NJ wins a cup, I'll be angry......the whole off season and probably through next season.....

I'd be angry until the Rangers win a cup.  Guess I'll be pissed off forever it seems.

Bobro is $10m albatross for Panthers, right?  Maybe not!

This game reminded me of Game 2 of our series against Tampa last year, with the Rangers hanging on for dear life at the end and taking a less than convincing 2-0 lead. 

2 hours ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Would be sweet.

I can't see them losing the series after winning the first two away games.

This isn't our pathetic bunch of panty-wastes!  LOL

• LMFAO 1