• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Gerard Gallant, Sigh

goondman

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

The Rangers cycle endlessly in the offensive zone.  It's like watching a powerplay attack at even strength.

One of the things that happens when you keep sending the puck back to the blueline is that the guys stationed there are watching the puck more than the status of the people most likely to break up ice.

We see a Ranger's defenseman overwhelmed at the blueline and forced into a race back into their own zone fairly often at this point.  Typically it is Trouba who can't quite keep up or Miller who can.  Less often it is Lindgren or Fox, Fox because of his mobility and stickhandling and Lindgren because he is more likely to recognize a problem and start the retreat earlier in the process.  When the third pair is out the cycling is less intense because nobody in their right mind gives one of those guys a 50/50 puck back at the blueline.

True

On 3/31/2023 at 1:39 PM, Ozzy said:

I figure if we don't at least get back to the ECF this season, we still have the "Igor window" open for the next 2 seasons.  It's my best guess, Goondman that we'll see a change after this playoff run.

Hopefully we get my man, Quenneville!!

I'll pee my pants if we pull that one off.  But if anyone can do it, I trust in the Dru!  😃

I agree! I'm pretty sure, the only way GG keeps his job is if that big silver trophy makes its way back to NY. 

On 3/31/2023 at 2:37 PM, jsrangers said:

I'm not sure Quenneville deserves the opportunity. What that guy did to that kid by turning his back was horrific. I don't think he deserves the privilege and honor.  

Yes.

He did.

I would be interested to know more of the specifics there though.

I believe that there were others in that organization who were senior to him that knew about it and did nothing either.

And who vetted the guy?

He had incidents at previous jobs as well.

Whole organization messed it up.

Quenneville just took the most public end of the fall.

I don’t know that he necessarily deserves another shot either. But while what he did was wrong, he’s not the actual perpetrator.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, goondman said:

I agree! I'm pretty sure, the only way GG keeps his job is if that big silver trophy makes its way back to NY. 

I'm thinking either that, or at least the ECF.  It would be a tough call for Drury to unload him after two 100 point seasons if he at least makes the ECF.  But anything short of that, I think it's hasta la vista baby!!

• Keeps it 100 1

47 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I'm thinking either that, or at least the ECF.  It would be a tough call for Drury to unload him after two 100 point seasons if he at least makes the ECF.  But anything short of that, I think it's hasta la vista baby!!

I can't handle another year of GG/Murphy behind the bench. I've never seen defensemen so lost on a regular basis in my life. Murphy is a fraud. I constantly wonder wtf he's teaching these guys during practice. 

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

7 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Rangers run around too much on D.  They love to leave the man in front to go double a guy in the corner or behind the net.

Yea and they don't recover well if at all. It's been said multiple times already, but the lack of a system to fall back on really hurts these guys. The younger players most of all. Schneider has not had a good season. Miller has been bad too despite his offensive production. These guys have much more to give, I just don't think GG and Co are the ones to get that out of them.

25 minutes ago, Shane Falco said:

I can't handle another year of GG/Murphy behind the bench. I've never seen defensemen so lost on a regular basis in my life. Murphy is a fraud. I constantly wonder wtf he's teaching these guys during practice. 

I'm with you Shane-O!  The only thing that sticks out to me is Drury questioned on why he would cut a coach loose who was the 1st in team history to record back-to-back 100 point seasons.

I see what you see, believe me, and I'm no advocate of our "system".  Murphy needs a lobotomy in my book!  I'm just trying to figure how he goes to the press with that one if we reach the ECF.

If we flatline anywhere short of that. I'll call the cab!   ...or better yet, I'll drive him the fuck outta here myself!!  LOL

Edited by Ozzy
  • Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

2 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

Yes.

He did.

I would be interested to know more of the specifics there though.

I believe that there were others in that organization who were senior to him that knew about it and did nothing either.

And who vetted the guy?

He had incidents at previous jobs as well.

Whole organization messed it up.

Quenneville just took the most public end of the fall.

I don’t know that he necessarily deserves another shot either. But while what he did was wrong, he’s not the actual perpetrator.

Fuck that.

He knew what that guy did to the poor kid, and kept quiet about it. 
An absolute gormless prick, I’m not letting him anywhere near my team. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I'm with you Shane-O!  The only thing that sticks out to me is Drury questioned on why he would cut a coach loose who was the 1st in team history to record back-to-back 100 point seasons.

I see what you see, believe me, and I'm no advocate of our "system".  Murphy needs a lobotomy in my book!  I'm just trying to figure how he goes to the press with that one if we reach the ECF.

If we flatline anywhere short of that. I'll call the cab!   ...or better yet, I'll drive him the fuck outta here myself!!  LOL

Boston has consistently accrued over 100 points for a while and they fired their coach Bruce Cassidy, who is a better coach than Gallant. He's got Vegas back on the map again after they missed the playoffs last year. Meanwhile, the B's are pushing for the all time record in team points for a season now.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. This roster top to bottom is 100% better and more talented than anyone else in the NHL. They are certainly way more talented than the Hurricanes or Devils, including before anyone made trades. They should be well above those two teams, and really they should be where Boston is in the standings right now.

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 2

6 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Boston has consistently accrued over 100 points for a while and they fired their coach Bruce Cassidy, who is a better coach than Gallant. He's got Vegas back on the map again after they missed the playoffs last year. Meanwhile, the B's are pushing for the all time record in team points for a season now.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. This roster top to bottom is 100% better and more talented than anyone else in the NHL. They are certainly way more talented than the Hurricanes or Devils, including before anyone made trades. They should be well above those two teams, and really they should be where Boston is in the standings right now.

O h shit...that's right!  I didn't even think of Cassidy! 

The bolded is for the truth!!! 

6 hours ago, Gravesy said:

Fuck that.

He knew what that guy did to the poor kid, and kept quiet about it. 
An absolute gormless prick, I’m not letting him anywhere near my team. 

And if that’s how you feel… I get it.

I just think there’s more there.

And I’m not even saying that whatever more  might be favors Q, just that there’s some info there that we don’t know.

If it’s that cut and dry.., yup. He needs to stay gone.

But it’s never seemed that cut and dry to me.

Honestly… and I’m not in anyway a conspiracy theorist… but since it came out, the whole thing was fishy to me. On several fronts.

I just think there’s stuff that happened there that we don’t know.., wasn’t disclosed, got covered up, people weren’t truthful about, etc.

No team or league wants a scandal like this.

When it happens, they want it handled quickly and quietly.

Just think we don’t know what’s up all the way.

18 hours ago, Phil said:

Here's something interesting I just learned today: Peter Laviolette is a free agent this summer.

food-for.gif

I used to be a big fan of his during his PHI days, but at this stage, I feel like that would be basically be a lateral move for this team. We'd just be trading in one set of coaching deficiencies for another. 

Edited by Karan
  • Keeps it 100 1

Cassidy got 6 whacks at the can before being let go, does comparing him and his history in Boston to Gallant who hasn't even finished his second season here mean anything at this time? Would seem to support GG having the opportunity to comeback again next year and probably more. I don't think that's the angle anyone was going for here unless I misread the intent.

Unless the Rangers are clearly unprepared in the first round this year GG is going to get another season.  Firing him after a second round exit would be rocking the boat in a big way and GM's tend to get pitched overboard with everybody else if they rock the boat and it doesn't right itself afterwards.

If the '23-24 Rangers have a real problem with GG as the HC then the move becomes obvious.  If they have a rough time with anybody else it becomes a lot less clear.

Let’s allow this guy his playoff run this year. 
He exceeded expectations last year, with 50+ wins, 110 points, and a trip to ECF. Now then again this season as he’s approaching another 50 wins and has already exceeded 100 points.

I think Gallant is a good NHL coach.

Not a great NHL coach.

Lets see what he can get the boys to do.

If they play crappy hockey during the playoffs - getting outplayed/outskated/hemmed in thier own zone/lack of any good offensive pressure - i'd give him the boot unless they somehow still manage to luck into a SCF.

13 hours ago, Br4d said:

Firing him after a second round exit would be rocking the boat in a big way and GM's tend to get pitched overboard with everybody else if they rock the boat and it doesn't right itself afterwards.

Over the last 2 seasons the Rangers are 10th in the NHL in HDCA. They are in the company of STL, Winnipeg, Philly, Vancouver...aka really bad teams. 

The credit goes to the players for overcoming the complete ineptitude of this staff regarding the defensive side of the puck. 

This is not a well coached team. They've put a guy who doesn't know where the gas and brake are behind the wheel of a Ferrari. Drury should be fired for keeping him past this season.

Cmt Shouting GIF by Party Down South

Drury was a finalist for GM of the year last year and might be again this year.  He isn't gettting fired.

Gallant could be fired depending on the playoff outcome.  Anything less than conference final I think he's gone.  Anything less than cup finals he gets a short leash for next season.  Win the cup he's safe until the team falls apart.

Edited by RJWantsTheCup
  • Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

13 hours ago, CCCP said:

With this roster anything less than SCF would be a disaster.  This team would never be able to replicate the amount of firepower it has. 

If there’s not another couple of gears they can achieve when it actually matters, they will be out in round 1. I think these guys and this lineup have more to give than what we’ve been seeing though, regardless of coach.