• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Steven MacDonald Extra Effort Award: Who's Your Guy?

Voting for this hasn't started yet, but probably soon since the season is winding down. So, whenever voting does begin, who has yours?

It might be easy to give it to a guy like Zibanejad or a Trocheck maybe, but my vote is going to Jimmy Vesey. With the Hobey Baker hype long gone, he's done a nice job for himself coming into his own as a solid bottom six player. He came here and we kind of thought he'd be a solid fit. Not only has he been solid, but I think he's been pretty damn good. He's been relentless on the forecheck all year, been really good defensively, PK and has helped round out the lineup even more.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Voting for this hasn't started yet, but probably soon since the season is winding down. So, whenever voting does begin, who has yours?

It might be easy to give it to a guy like Zibanejad or a Trocheck maybe, but my vote is going to Jimmy Vesey. With the Hobey Baker hype long gone, he's done a nice job for himself coming into his own as a solid bottom six player. He came here and we kind of thought he'd be a solid fit. Not only has he been solid, but I think he's been pretty damn good. He's been relentless on the forecheck all year, been really good defensively, PK and has helped round out the lineup even more.

I like your take on this, Sharpy!  Vesey has given us a lot for a guy that made this team on a PTO.  That'd be my vote too!

It's Trocheck. The guy is solid at everything. He's always present in some fashion. He can hit. He can forecheck. He can be a pest. He can score. He can pass. He's the best faceoff guy on the Rangers since, well, I can't even recall one in recent memory. He's just always involved and it takes a lot of effort to do that. I give Drury some major props on this one because I questioned the move heavily. Incredible upgrade from Strome for barely a smidge more.

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • Like 3
  • LMFAO 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

6 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

It's Trocheck. The guy is solid at everything. He's always present in some fashion. He can hit. He can forecheck. He can be a pest. He can score. He can pass. He's the best faceoff guy on the Rangers since, well, I can't even recall one in recent memory. He's just always involved and it takes a lot of effort to do that. I give Drury some major props on this one because I questioned the move heavily. Incredible upgrade from Strome for barely a smidge more.

+1

10 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Yeah man, I was going back and forth between he and Vesey. They were kind of my 1 and 1A options. Vinny has been fantastic all year long. Don't forget all of those posts he hit early in the season. He was making things happen then, just wasn't necessarily getting the results on the scoresheet.

I can dig Trocheck as a candidate as well.  He's done an awful lot for us, especially at winning faceoffs.  He's a pesky little bastard too, which we needede.  I just like the Vesey story a lot.  If Tro wins the Steven McDonald, then I give the "Player's Player" to Vesey for his comeback.

• Keeps it 100 1

13 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Yeah man, I was going back and forth between he and Vesey. They were kind of my 1 and 1A options. Vinny has been fantastic all year long. Don't forget all of those posts he hit early in the season. He was making things happen then, just wasn't necessarily getting the results on the scoresheet.

Vesey is a great choice too, but I think he gets the Players' Player award. Goodrow/Trouba co-won it last year. Lindgren the year before. And Fast won it 5x in a row before that. Scoring doesn't matter, and it's player voted so I think they'll be recognizing Vesey on that one. Maybe Trouba co-wins it for the helmet throw and all that shtick.

The Steven McDonald is fan voted so it's usually someone more popular. A "grunt" player hasn't won it since Prust in 2010, so it's not impossible though.

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • TroCheckmark 1

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

I really hope they don't give it to Trouba just for that. He's been mid, at best, basically all year and not really deserving of any kind of team award.

Agreed. I'm about as tired of hearing about the helmet as I am about the pride jersey. Both are peak irrelevant.

• The Chyt! 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

The Rangers have a bunch of guys who work hard all the time.  I think you could pick Zibanejad, Trocheck, Lindgren, Vesey, Trouba or Lafreniere and not be wrong on the call.  That's one of the reasons the second half of the season has turned into a romp for us.

That's all 4 lines and the top 2 defensive pairs all with a guy you could make the call for.  Great team effort at this point.

And as I was typing the second line it occurred to me that the hardest working Ranger right now is Motte.

Edited by Br4d