• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Isles Acquire Bo Horvat From Canucks for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty and 2023 1st Round Pick; Re-Sign to 8-Year/$68M Extension; $8.5M AAV

8x8.5 is same deal as Mika got, with Mika being one year older.  As great of a season that Horvat might be having, he doesn't have the track record that Mika had when he signed.

We can just hope that this proves to be a career year and he returns to being the player worth 5 or 6 mil per that he was before this year.

Can anyone say "one goal in nineteen games upon arrival ala Marty St. Louis?"  Sure you can!

Dude has topped out at 60ish points; I thought the mentality was 1 mil for every 10 points. Large overpayment; and has proven nothing on the Island. Happy to see them screw themselves with the cap. Devils will be more competitive for longer in this era.

2 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Dude has topped out at 60ish points; I thought the mentality was 1 mil for every 10 points. Large overpayment; and has proven nothing on the Island. Happy to see them screw themselves with the cap. Devils will be more competitive for longer in this era.

That's what I usually use as a guide as well, JSM.

Seems like the Isles have a glut of centers too!  They may be up to something else.  I'd be surprised if this was the only deal Lou made.  The Isles need scoring help in a pretty big way.

5 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

I mean, it kind of is. But goals come at a premium. He's sixth in the league in goals right now. Career year right before UFA is always a major red flag, but it's never stopped anyone from getting paid in spite of it. Some guys make right by it, others don't (Trouba). It probably fails more often than it succeeds, too, but again, this has NEVER stopped GMs from doing it, because they (rightfully) are focused on what's in front of them, not what may or may not happen six years from now when someone else is doing their job.

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

That's what I usually use as a guide as well, JSM.

Seems like the Isles have a glut of centers too!  They may be up to something else.  I'd be surprised if this was the only deal Lou made.  The Isles need scoring help in a pretty big way.

Nah, listen to Lou. He literally admits it's "too much money and term," or whatever his exact phrasing was. He fully understands it won't age well, and could very well backfire in the near future. It doesn't matter. They need goals, badly, and Horvat is sixth in the league in them right now. They paid a premium for what they need in the hopes that this version of the player will make right by it for at least the first half of this deal.

22 minutes ago, Phil said:

Nah, listen to Lou. He literally admits it's "too much money and term," or whatever his exact phrasing was. He fully understands it won't age well, and could very well backfire in the near future. It doesn't matter. They need goals, badly, and Horvat is sixth in the league in them right now. They paid a premium for what they need in the hopes that this version of the player will make right by it for at least the first half of this deal.

They have 5 centers.  LOL

Barzal

Brock

Pageau

Horvat

Cizikas

I mean, I'm sure one can play the wing, but just seems like a stockpile for another possible deal to me.  I'm probably wrong though!  No shock there!!  😉

Well, the good thing is, this deal is more likely to ensure that than it is to elevate them. Horvat isn't just having a career year in points, he's doing so on a career shooting percentage (21.7) that's 7.5 points higher than his career average (14).

It's possible he keeps this up, but it sure as shit isn't likely.

• Keeps it 100 1

Just now, Phil said:

Well, the good thing is, this deal is more likely to ensure that than it is to elevate them. Horvat isn't just having a career year in points, he's doing so on a career shooting percentage (21.7) that's 7.5 points higher than his career average (14).

Lou's doing shit knowing he won't be here when shit hits the fan to blame him.

1 minute ago, Cash or Czech said:

Not sure who tweeted it, but the expectation was for Barzal to move over to RW.

Makes sense. They'll probably play together on the same line.

Just now, Cash or Czech said:

Lou's doing shit knowing he won't be here when shit hits the fan to blame him.

100%. "This is a problem for someone else to figure out."

23 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Not sure who tweeted it, but the expectation was for Barzal to move over to RW.

Rightfully so.

Not great defensively, sucks in the dot, resting on a laughable 80% offensive zone start rate. 

• 2 weeks later...

Bo Horvat should have waited before signing that contract, and see what kind of mess the Islanders are.  Last 3 games, 2 points, Loss vs. Vancouver, OTL to MTL, and SO Loss to Ottawa.  Next 3 games, PIT, @BOS, @PIT.  Pittsburgh is up 2 points on the Isles but Pit has 4 games in hand.  Can really put some distance between them by Tuesday AM. 

Edited by Blue Heaven