• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Isles Acquire Bo Horvat From Canucks for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty and 2023 1st Round Pick; Re-Sign to 8-Year/$68M Extension; $8.5M AAV

Terrible trade for the Islanders imo. They are closer to rebuilding than being serious contenders. Trading a promising young player and a 1st is very ill advised for an aging bubble team. The 1st is top 12 protected and they better hope it transfers because otherwise it slides to 2024 and goes unprotected to Vancouver. If the Isles are picking top 12 this year then they are trending the wrong direction and that ‘24 1st becomes critical…and they won’t have it. It’s a really wreckless trade by the Islanders.

20 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Terrible trade for the Islanders imo. They are closer to rebuilding than being serious contenders. Trading a promising young player and a 1st is very ill advised for an aging bubble team. The 1st is top 12 protected and they better hope it transfers because otherwise it slides to 2024 and goes unprotected to Vancouver. If the Isles are picking top 12 this year then they are trending the wrong direction and that ‘24 1st becomes critical…and they won’t have it. It’s a really wreckless trade by the Islanders.

If you just looked at it on paper, this is not at all the case. There's a lot of people who think VAN didn't get enough for Horvat.

• If it works out and they make the playoffs, then it works out. Top 12 protected is basically saying you only get the 1st if we make the playoffs.
  • If they don't make the playoffs because Horvat doesn't work out, the Isles can probably get more than they gave for him.
  • If it does work out, they can choose to resign Horvat because even if you're rebuilding you need leadership which Horvat has in spades. And is a team with Sorokin, Horvat, Barzal, Pelech, Pulock ever going to truly be rebuilding? They're going to be competitive, not tanking.

So on paper this is probably fine. Where it gets tricky is, does Lou actually know when his team is cooked anymore? Will he trade Horvat at the deadline if he's on the bubble, going in 2-4-4 L10 or something like that?

The deal can be fine for the Islanders, and Lou I'd guess is a year or 2 away from the axe anyway.

But it's far from terrible or wreckless as long as they are smart with the big picture.

Edited by Pete

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

If you just looked at it on paper, this is not at all the case. There's a lot of people who think VAN didn't get enough for Horvat.

• If it works out and they make the playoffs, then it works out. Top 12 protected is basically saying you only get the 1st if we make the playoffs.
  • If they don't make the playoffs because Horvat doesn't work out, the Isles can probably get more than they gave for him.
  • If it does work out, they can choose to resign Horvat because even if you're rebuilding you need leadership which Horvat has in spades. And is a team with Sorokin, Horvat, Barzal, Pelech, Pulock ever going to truly be rebuilding? They're going to be competitive, not tanking.

So on paper this is probably fine. Where it gets tricky is, does Lou actually know when his team is cooked anymore? Will he trade Horvat at the deadline if he's on the bubble, going in 2-4-4 L10 or something like that?

The deal can be fine for the Islanders, and Lou I'd guess is a year or 2 away from the axe anyway.

But it's far from terrible or wreckless as long as they are smart with the big picture.

They aren't getting as much as they gave for Horvat because if they trade Horvat it means they have fallen out of the playoffs and are probably slated to be picking top 12 in the draft, which means they will transfer their 2024 1st unprotected. Sure, they might be able to mitigate the loss so they aren't left with nothing, but they won't get unprotected 1st value. Not a chance. It'll be like trading Brooks for Carpiniello as your main source for Rangers content. Significant downgrade. Significant. All for an outside chance to be a bubble team getting bounced by the Bruins or Hurricanes in R1.

They'll probably have to pay Horvat like 9 per to get him to ink before UFA, and if he hits UFA it's pretty doubtful he's picking the Islanders. I'd find it pretty shocking, but hey, you never know.

• Phil changed the title to Isles Acquire Bo Horvat from Canucks for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty and 2023 1st Round Pick
22 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

They aren't getting as much as they gave for Horvat because if they trade Horvat it means they have fallen out of the playoffs and are probably slated to be picking top 12 in the draft, which means they will transfer their 2024 1st unprotected. Sure, they might be able to mitigate the loss so they aren't left with nothing, but they won't get unprotected 1st value. Not a chance. It'll be like trading Brooks for Carpiniello as your main source for Rangers content. Significant downgrade. Significant. All for an outside chance to be a bubble team getting bounced by the Bruins or Hurricanes in R1.

They'll probably have to pay Horvat like 9 per to get him to ink before UFA, and if he hits UFA it's pretty doubtful he's picking the Islanders. I'd find it pretty shocking, but hey, you never know.

It will be better for them to recoup a 2024 first then it will for them to ask for a 2023 first from a playoff team. 

I'm not really concerned with lottery protection next season. They're not in a position where they're thinking about it that quickly because their current roster will keep them on the playoff bubble. 

Edited by Pete

A move they pretty much had to make in a Hail Mary. Isles are in very real danger of dropping out of the playoffs. Have occasionally watched their games. The announcers never failed to poormouth Beauvilier. That doesn't happen with Lamariello unless he was telling them to say it. 

This is a good trade for them.

I like Beauviler, but he is what he is at the point. A 15-goal, 35-40 point, middle-6 winger. If he finds more to his game, fine. But it doesn’t appear as though he was finding it on the Island. And he’s pretty expensive for that level of production.

Raty is a good prospect. But not a great one.

And a protected 1st rounder is not too terrible to give up. 

They get Horvat, who is top-10 in the league in goals right now, and they desperately need offense. 

As for re-flipping him if things don’t go well… it’s possible.

I am having trouble remembering an instance of that having happened.

56 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

I like Beauviler, but he is what he is at the point. A 15-goal, 35-40 point, middle-6 winger. If he finds more to his game, fine. But it doesn’t appear as though he was finding it on the Island. And he’s pretty expensive for that level of production.

They get Horvat, who is top-10 in the league in goals right now, and they desperately need offense. 

Vanek. Buffalo to Ilses to Montreal. 

42 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Because it's a rarity. I can't even think of the last example off the top of my head.

What's more likely here, especially given Lou's track record, is that they re-sign him in relative short order. The same as he did with JG Pageau, Ilya Kovalchuk (Devils), Kyle Palmieri, etc.

Good move by Lou.  He had three choices: (1) rebuild; (2) stay the course with tweaks, like trading Beauvillier and Walstrom; or (3) swing for the fences.

Option (1) does not work for them.  None of their big contract veterans are near the end of their contracts and they have NTCs and cannot be easily moved for youth and picks.  Moreover, a rebuild is dumb when you have one of the best goalies in the league and a solid top 4 Defense.

Option (2) would mean playoff bubble and first round exits for years to come.

Option (3) might succeed grandly and does not leave them dramatically worse off if it doesn't.  Moreover, as other posters have noted, the price tag is not high.  Raty's not a can't miss prospect; Beauvillier is meh; average post top 12 pick does not become a significant player.

• RichieNextel305 changed the title to Isles Acquire Bo Horvat From Canucks for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty and 2023 1st Round Pick; Update: Signs 8-Year Extension With Islanders
  • Phil changed the title to Isles Acquire Bo Horvat From Canucks for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty and 2023 1st Round Pick; Signs 8-Year Extension
  • Phil changed the title to Isles Acquire Bo Horvat From Canucks for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty and 2023 1st Round Pick; Re-Sign to 8-Year/$68M Extension; $8.5M AAV
2 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Well you knew once the Islanders paid rhat trade price they were going to have to give him something obscene in order to forego UFA.

I mean, he was always getting that. Not a penny less than the J.T. Miller deal (8x8).