• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers’ Pride Night About-Face Created Same Mess it Tried to Avoid

Sod16

3 hours ago, Phil said:

This is actually not a half bad idea if teams are truly getting scared off the practice due to Provorov, and now this most recent example with the Rangers.

It allows teams to continue with monthly corporate cause adoption, make whatever donations they want, invite any special guests, etc, without ever having to put a specific player or players into an uncomfortable situation, should they object.

Agreed, and they should do it immediately and scrap the black history jerseys (if they were going to wear one), and first responder jerseys, and military jerseys. No player will object to wearing those jerseys bc they would seem racist, anti-police, or un-American. There could be a player that feels that way but they would never stand up to it like how someone would stand up against LGBTQ+

Edited by Blue Heaven

On 1/31/2023 at 3:24 PM, Pete said:

Well, that's the point LOL. I don't think anyone living in NYC as a gay person thinks they're unwelcome at a hockey game.

Columbus? Dallas? Nashville? Might have some other feelings.

I guess i am confused how you would feel unwelcomed as a gay person. Are you wearing a badge that says "hi, i am gay. Be nice to me." I mean i dont announce i am straight at games. Unless u r announcing what you are, nobody is saying a word about who you sleep with at a hockey game.

• Bullseye 1

2 hours ago, Mdk154 said:

I guess i am confused how you would feel unwelcomed as a gay person. Are you wearing a badge that says "hi, i am gay. Be nice to me." I mean i dont announce i am straight at games. Unless u r announcing what you are, nobody is saying a word about who you sleep with at a hockey game.

Well, that’s not exactly true. If you are at a game with your significant other holding hands or even expressing just simple affection, you are a hell of a lot more likely to garner looks or comments if it’s a same sex couple rather than the traditional male/female one. Especially in some states that are a bit slower to acknowledge progress. Let’s not kid ourselves. Same sex marriage is still frowned upon by many. 

I’m straight so I can’t pretend to know the struggle of someone else but to just simplify it like you are really is just burying your head in the sand about the still inequalities many people face. 

• Bullseye 2

15 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Well, that’s not exactly true. If you are at a game with your significant other holding hands or even expressing just simple affection, you are a hell of a lot more likely to garner looks or comments if it’s a same sex couple rather than the traditional male/female one. Especially in some states that are a bit slower to acknowledge progress. Let’s not kid ourselves. Same sex marriage is still frowned upon by many. 

I’m straight so I can’t pretend to know the struggle of someone else but to just simplify it like you are really is just burying your head in the sand about the still inequalities many people face. 

Let me tell you about the time my Miata broke down in Texas...

"A lot of gays drive these cars, you wunuvem?"

Gary Bettman's stock has gone up-in my book-astronomically. As much as the yellow journalists tried to make Provorov and anyone else who thought the same way a bigot, he didn't bite and actually threw diversity back in their faces. Bravo Gary, bravo! 

Just say'en

• 1 month later...

Hey did you guys know this all happened because of the Rangers homophobic EQM?  At least that is the bullshit being spewed *in the comments* on the team's official FB or IG(I forgot which one I saw it on) post for last night's Women's Empowerment Night.  Some people are so stupid.

Edited by SaveByRichter35
Added important info

58 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Hey did you guys know this all happened because of the Rangers homophobic EQM?  At least that is the bullshit being spewed on the team's official FB or IG(I forgot which one I saw it on) post for last night's Women's Empowerment Night.  Some people are so stupid.

Wait EQM... As in equipment managers?