• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Panarin and Trocheck: It's a Problem

BrooksBurner

9 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Zibanejad, Trocheck, and Chytil are all cut from the same cloth in terms of carrying the puck and liking to shoot the puck. Tro maybe a little more than the other two.

I'm not sure I agree. I think Chytil would be content to NOT have to be the ONLY guy on his line lugging the puck. Look at who his linemates have been, he never gets any support there. 

Also didn't Chytil have 4pts in 4 games with Strome and Panarin and then got broken up for no reason? Forget if it was last year or the year before. 

17 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

They rolled the dice on not keeping Strome, shooting for an upgrade with a player that is probably a little more complete than Strome, but didn’t have the established chemistry with Panarin. 

It’s what it is at this point. But there are other options and ways to fix this. 

💯

Start by breaking them up, putting Tro back on that third line, giving Chytil a bump up. 

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

16 minutes ago, Pete said:

I'm not sure I agree. I think Chytil would be content to NOT have to be the ONLY guy on his line lugging the puck. Look at who his linemates have been, he never gets any support there. 

Also didn't Chytil have 4pts in 4 games with Strome and Panarin and then got broken up for no reason? Forget if it was last year or the year before. 

Fair enough. Obviously I agree it’s worth a shot because I want to see them put together on a line. I think he makes nice passes and that part of his game has been underrated, but yeah, obviously we don’t know how he’d adjust to a scenario where he gets an extended look with Panarin and his style of play. Trocheck has gotten 40 something games. Gotta give Chytil at least 10-15 to see. Can’t just do this 2 games thing and then default back to what it was nonsense.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Pete said:

💯

Start by breaking them up, putting Tro back on that third line, giving Chytil a bump up. 

And there's no guarantee that it works or has a lasting effect.  But it is different.  Trochek needs to not be Panarins center. The stubborn coach needs to try different avenues.

He's broken up the kid line a billion times, while it always worked.  Yet, he's still pushing this combination and the love connection with Kreider and Zibanejad continues despite their ineffectiveness of late. 

Theres plenty of possible line combinations that Gallant hasn't tried. Maybe it's going to take the addition of a new player to force Gallant to use his brain to reset the lines. If a Tarasenko or a big name were brought in, it would change the make up/ dynamic of how he could build his lines. 

7 hours ago, Pete said:

That's got zero to do with a comment that he has to change his game for Trocheck. Find a guy who speaks his language on the ice.

Oh wait, they had one... 

a bit harsh of a take there, no? I think it does have something to do with it.  I don’t think they were as happy with the combo after that playoff performance so they wanted a bit of a different look. So far isn not working out as ideal. I think it’ll show a bit more come playoff time.  hopefully 

• Cheers 1

I just don't see how they can be confident with Panarin heading in to playoffs. Yes, they're in a good spot in standing right now, and yes, Panarin is producing (though down a full notch) but does anyone have any inkling it's not going to be a replica of his disappearing act last year? I think it's pretty obvious that's where this is heading, and if it does this isn't going to work. He's going to have to fuck off.

• Applause 1

5 minutes ago, Dunny said:

I just don't see how they can be confident with Panarin heading in to playoffs. Yes, they're in a good spot in standing right now, and yes, Panarin is producing (though down a full notch) but does anyone have any inkling it's not going to be a replica of his disappearing act last year? I think it's pretty obvious that's where this is heading, and if it does this isn't going to work. He's going to have to fuck off.

I mean there are real concerns with the offense producing now. If he goes ghost in the playoffs  then we may get shut out four games in a row and swept in round 1.

They need to address scoring with a RW for Panarin, hands down. Chytil should replace Tro and all will be well in the world.

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

And there's no guarantee that it works or has a lasting effect.  But it is different.  Trochek needs to not be Panarins center. The stubborn coach needs to try different avenues.

He's broken up the kid line a billion times, while it always worked.  Yet, he's still pushing this combination and the love connection with Kreider and Zibanejad continues despite their ineffectiveness of late. 

Theres plenty of possible line combinations that Gallant hasn't tried. Maybe it's going to take the addition of a new player to force Gallant to use his brain to reset the lines. If a Tarasenko or a big name were brought in, it would change the make up/ dynamic of how he could build his lines. 

Tarasenko would be a huge get for this team heading into the post season.

10 minutes ago, Dunny said:

The biggest worry I have with him is his shooting % is way down this year. 
2 years with Chi it was 15.3%

2 years with Cls it was  13.1%

3 years prior here it was 14.6%

this year? 9.8% 

• The Chyt! 1

59 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

I mean there are real concerns with the offense producing now. If he goes ghost in the playoffs  then we may get shut out four games in a row and swept in round 1.

They need to address scoring with a RW for Panarin, hands down. Chytil should replace Tro and all will be well in the world.

1 hour ago, Dunny said:

I get the concerns, but brass tacks is that we are still 3 months with 35 games to play

One thing I like about Panarin on the left of Zib is Kreider moves to RW without Laf being the catalyst.  I’d think after a while if it’s working and a deadline move shakes things up sliding Laffy up to the top for some time would be easier than asking the vet to move.

23 hours ago, -ERIK- said:

Trocheck with Goody and a vesey could be a nice third line-checking line,only thing is gallant will probably treat them as a scoring Line but at least he’s broken up Pan and Trocheck so that’s a start I guess.

It is definitely a start but again he puts Kreider in a situation where he isn't the most comfortable instead of keeping natural positions and simply switching Chytil and Trochek. why?

2 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

It is definitely a start but again he puts Kreider in a situation where he isn't the most comfortable instead of keeping natural positions and simply switching Chytil and Trochek. why?

Not aimed at you in particular, just in general that for some reason Rangers fans generally rail on Gallant for not keeping Lafreniere on the right side out of his natural position to be in the top 6, but if he puts a veteran over there who should be better equipped to handle it instead of a young player who hasn’t found his bearings yet, all of a sudden it’s not Kreider’s natural position and he’s not comfortable there.

For the record, I wanted Kreider on the right all summer in order to keep a young and inexperienced Lafreniere in his natural position, with the expectation that a grizzled vet like Kreider can handle it and most of his goals are in the crease aka positionless goals anyway. I’ve been told it doesn’t work, like one or two game stints in the past tells us anything. I have no problem with the move personally.

3 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

This is Gallant if he were on Wheel of Fortune.

The right answer is right fucking there and he just can't spit the words out.

• LMFAO 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

21 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Not aimed at you in particular, just in general that for some reason Rangers fans generally rail on Gallant for not keeping Lafreniere on the right side out of his natural position to be in the top 6, but if he puts a veteran over there who should be better equipped to handle it instead of a young player who hasn’t found his bearings yet, all of a sudden it’s not Kreider’s natural position and he’s not comfortable there.

For the record, I wanted Kreider on the right all summer in order to keep a young and inexperienced Lafreniere in his natural position, with the expectation that a grizzled vet like Kreider can handle it and most of his goals are in the crease aka positionless goals anyway. I’ve been told it doesn’t work, like one or two game stints in the past tells us anything. I have no problem with the move personally.

I get your point, but to move Kreider coming away from a 50 goal season seemed crazy. Valid point about goal mouth goals. I'm open to it; it just seems like other options exist which would keep both on the LW. 

On another note.....after watching Laf on the left all season, I'm open to him playing RW, Goalie or equipment manager.

8 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

I get your point, but to move Kreider coming away from a 50 goal season seemed crazy. Valid point about goal mouth goals. I'm open to it; it just seems like other options exist which would keep both on the LW. 

On another note.....after watching Laf on the left all season, I'm open to him playing RW, Goalie or equipment manager.

I did a superficial analysis on Kreider’s goals during the summer. I had posted a chart somewhere on here. Outside of the crease, he had actually scored more goals from the right side than the left side.

Lafreniere needs to stick on the left IMO. He’s struggling as is. Flipping back and forth isn’t doing him any favors. I just never agreed that much with the reasoning behind taking a young player who hadn’t yet adjusted to the NHL, and making him adjust to a new position on top of it. The Rangers’ goal should have been to try and simplify things for him. Not make them more complicated. Let him focus on one thing at a time.

• Like 1

@jsm7302 Here's the Kreider post if you're interested: 

Then I posted this before the season started: 

If the kid line is clearly buzzing like they were for most of the playoffs, the Rangers need to seriously re-configure lines.

Panarin - Zibanejad - Kreider

Lafreniere - Chytil - Kakko

Blais - Trocheck - Kravtsov

Don’t be afraid to get creative. Move Kreider over. Stack line 1. Drop Tro to 3rd line. This is about the only way to get the kids legitimately more ice time and roles without taking it away from your best players.

Gallant is almost where I was at 4 months ago. Now he's just sandbagging Kravtsov.