• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Canucks Relationship With J.T. Miller Souring?

Phil

• Phil changed the title to Canucks Relationship With J.T. Miller Souring?

What makes it even more incredible is the fact that his seven-year extension doesn't kick in until next year, carries a full NMC, and they're going to lose Bo Horvat, who fans love, as a direct result of this deal.

This is among the strongest cases to fire a GM I've ever seen.

10 hours ago, rmc51 said:

Amazing. No wonder the Rangers flushed his ass out of here. Can't have a locker room cancer around for a rebuild.

Yeah, this rap has followed him literally everywhere. There were reports and rumors when the Rangers traded him that he was a dickhead in the room, and that that was part of why the org moved on.

But this is so much worse than a bullish personality. It's going to cost them a beloved team captain. It's insane.

25 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yeah, this rap has followed him literally everywhere. There were reports and rumors when the Rangers traded him that he was a dickhead in the room, and that that was part of why the org moved on.

But this is so much worse than a bullish personality. It's going to cost them a beloved team captain. It's insane.

Insanity that they chose him over Horvat. Obviously the Canucks made an egregious error in re-signing him. I assume they played some ridiculously stubborn hardball when it came to trading him when all the talk was going on. I don’t know what the ask would have been, but at this point “anything + saving $8M in cap space for 7 years” looks astronomically better.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Phil said:

Maybe they can trade him to the Flyers; they seem to enjoy that type of personality.....

43 minutes ago, Phil said:

Can’t forget that Miller put up twice as many points as Horvat last season. 

I don't know that video is not particularly damning. You're criticizing a 90+ point player for not sprinting back on a 2v4? Canucks had plenty of players in front of him the first time. The second time, he makes a bad play at the blue line and gives the puck up. He's never catching up so he changes. I don't see the problem here, and obviously have no idea about the locker room comments, but if a guy is really that much of a dick, you're going to roast him on a play that most players in the league make on a nightly basis? Sorry but I don't buy it

1 hour ago, rmc51 said:

Insanity that they chose him over Horvat. Obviously the Canucks made an egregious error in re-signing him. I assume they played some ridiculously stubborn hardball when it came to trading him when all the talk was going on. I don’t know what the ask would have been, but at this point “anything + saving $8M in cap space for 7 years” looks astronomically better.

Yup. And with all the talk that VAN ownership don't want to rebuild, it's gonna be super painful.

20 minutes ago, Valriera said:

I don't know that video is not particularly damning. You're criticizing a 90+ point player for not sprinting back on a 2v4? Canucks had plenty of players in front of him the first time. The second time, he makes a bad play at the blue line and gives the puck up. He's never catching up so he changes. I don't see the problem here, and obviously have no idea about the locker room comments, but if a guy is really that much of a dick, you're going to roast him on a play that most players in the league make on a nightly basis? Sorry but I don't buy it

Nah, listen to the commentary again. It's not one (or two) moments. It's multiple seasons filled with them, in addition to endless reports that he's divided their dressing room on top of it all, and recent reporting from Friedman that suggests that Horvat is likely a goner because they can't afford to keep him (as a direct result of re-signing Miller).

This isn't an issue of isolated incidents. It's pattern.

25 minutes ago, Valriera said:

I mean the body language is awful. Yeah, he's never catching, but he's basically moping the second the puck leaves his stick and it goes the other way. 

I always regretted us trading away JT Miller.  Now I'm thinking maybe there really was more to it than just a trade.  I didn't realize he was such a dick-wad in the locker room.  Kinda makes me feel a little better that we sent him off.

....Can't see him on the Flyers though...Torts would fucking kill him!  I mean, literally shoot him in the face with a bazooka!!  LOL

I can absolutely see him on the Flyers. They're loading up on villains of late anyway.

J.T. dogs it on defense, so that'll be a problem, but he's got "jam," which Torts loves, and there's a ton of talk that they may buy out Hayes, who Torts can't stand because he's lazy as fuck. If the Canucks are truly not interested in rebuilding, some kind of Hayes-Miller trade makes a lot of sense. Your problem for ours.

2 hours ago, Phil said:

Yup. And with all the talk that VAN ownership don't want to rebuild, it's gonna be super painful.

Nah, listen to the commentary again. It's not one (or two) moments. It's multiple seasons filled with them, in addition to endless reports that he's divided their dressing room on top of it all, and recent reporting from Friedman that suggests that Horvat is likely a goner because they can't afford to keep him (as a direct result of re-signing Miller).

This isn't an issue of isolated incidents. It's pattern.

To be fair, it takes 2 to divide a locker room. There was a lot of shit about a divided room coming out of WPG but it was basically 2 players in a silo who have been dealt with and they're now a top team again.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

To be fair, it takes 2 to divide a locker room. There was a lot of shit about a divided room coming out of WPG but it was basically 2 players in a silo who have been dealt with and they're now a top team again.

Oh, no doubt. I have no idea if Miller is the primary reason, or to what extent he's responsible, I'm just speaking to the reporting from Friedman and others that's basically suggested he's part of what's wrong.

• 3 weeks later...