• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Dolan Using Facial Recognition Software to Ban People From MSG Venues

Sod16

They go onto the internet, get photos of people who work for a law firm that has a case against MSG, and ban them, irrespective of whether they have anything to do with the case.  I assume it's not just law firms and applies to anyone who works for someone with whom Dolan has an axe to grind.  Scary 1984 stuff.  

https://nypost.com/2022/12/20/girl-scout-mom-banned-from-radio-city-rockettes-in-msg-crackdown/

12 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Getting a cake baked is also not a right...

I don't see how this is not discrimination.

That was due to being a protected class though. Not sure how this would play out in the courts but I'd certainly like to see it go there.

22 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Getting a cake baked is also not a right...

I don't see how this is not discrimination.

Well, the law says you can't refuse service to people based on ethnicity, age, sex, or disability.

Dolan isn't doing that. While petty, is not illegal. 

• Like 1

People buy tickets and get turned away with only a vague warning.  Sounds like a possible claim under consumer statutes rather than civil rights laws.  If their lawyers in the cases in question are facilitating this, there may be grounds under legal ethical rules to go after them in those cases.  If your client is harassing the lawyers opposing you, you may be compelled to withdraw from representing the client.

The MSG venues have existed for the past 50 years under huge tax breaks.  Time for politicians to get involved.  

At it's base principle I don't really have an issue with it. The problems arise because of:

-Facial Recognition technology has been shown to have racially biased inaccuracies

https://www.aclu.org/news/privacy-technology/how-is-face-recognition-surveillance-technology-racist

Buolamwini and Gebru’s 2018 research concluded that some facial analysis algorithms misclassified Black women nearly 35 percent of the time, while nearly always getting it right for white men. 

-Dolan's history of banning people based on his own pettiness

https://www.tmz.com/2019/03/09/ny-knicks-owner-james-dolan-bans-fan-msg-rude-sell-the-team/

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Well, the law says you can't refuse service to people based on ethnicity, age, sex, or disability.

Dolan isn't doing that. While petty, is not illegal. 

As long as he’s not doing it based on protected class status, they’re fine. 

17 minutes ago, Pete said:

Because that guy stops laws, not bad behavior. 

And you say I'm pedantic. Geeeeeeeeeeeez 😄

May not like it, but Dolan's within his rights to do this. Even if it's some creepy-ass minority report big brother technocracy shit - buying a ticket comes with an assumption that you're in good standing with the host. If you don't like that he can do this - hey, join the club and fight against it - but he can do it.