• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Serious Question — is Anyone Surprised Where the Rangers Are At?

goondman

I'm surprised but only because I thought last year we turned a corner. I thought this group of "leaders" had something to prove after losing in the ECF. I thought the way we played on opening night set the tone for the upcoming year. I thought this team learned how to win by learning from losing. 

I thought wrong. 

• Like 1

I'm not very surprised at where Shesty is at.  If you look at a list of Vezina winners from the past 30 years, a few, like Price and Hank, were perennial top goalies even when not winning Vezinas, but for many, the Vezina was a one off career year.  Look at Bobro.  He's won it twice but has been very ordinary in other years.

2 hours ago, Sod16 said:

I'm not very surprised at where Shesty is at.  If you look at a list of Vezina winners from the past 30 years, a few, like Price and Hank, were perennial top goalies even when not winning Vezinas, but for many, the Vezina was a one off career year.  Look at Bobro.  He's won it twice but has been very ordinary in other years.

im fully confident that Shesty's numbers will rebound and he'll be back on top this season

I’m not. After trades like buch for blais and signing tinordis hunts and other crap and letting ALL of the guys who were brought here at dead line go in off-season, definitely no.. no surprises here. 

Edited by Art20c
  • The Chyt! 1

1 hour ago, Art20c said:

I’m not. After trades like buch for blais and signing tinordis hunts and other crap and letting ALL of the guys who were brought here at dead line go in off-season, definitely no.. no surprises here. 

^This.

We paid a hefty price for Copp last year just to let him walk this off season. The Buch trade is beyond a travesty. You hit the nail on the head. If Laf or Kakko ever took off it wouldn't be that way but.....that isn't what happened. So in turn, we will miss the playoffs this year unless there is some shake up. To blow a 3 goal lead only to come back next game and blow a 2 goal lead.....this screams HOUSTON, WE HAVE A PROBLEM!!

5 hours ago, siddious said:

Hey at least you saw one. I didn’t start watching until 97/98. 😭

I’ve told this story here before but….

I had started following the Rangers in the early 80’s as a kid in PA. I heard the taunts of “1940” from my Flyers loving friends (nevermind the fact they were all mostly born the year after their Flyers won their last Stanley Cup).

I entered Basic Training at Ft. Jackson South Carolina on June 7, 1994.  Didn’t have access to a tv or even a newspaper until the end of June.

Missed the finals and heard about the Rangers winning on a Sunday call home (only day of the week we had phone privileges).  

We were finally given access to a newspaper at the end of June and I was confused about what OJ had done, had no idea about the murders or car chase.

So, I missed it.

When I got home in August I watched a vhs of the game, and years later my wife bought me the dvd set of the entire Eastern Conference and Stanley Cup Finals, so I’ve seen all the games, but didn’t get to experience it in the moment.

I’m waiting to celebrate this team winning a cup, but this year surely doesn’t look like it.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 4

The young guys.  The kids.  Which of them looks like they're living up to the billing?

Chytil is as close as you get and he's the guy who is always on the third line.

The vets.  The stars.  Which of them looks like they are fully living up to the billing?

Fox.  Maybe Mika, although he hasn't done much at 5v5.  The rest of them are just gliding through the season looking like pale copies of themselves.

Panarin?  He's the problem on the team.  He's soft and he skates around with the puck and he makes too many passes that should be shots instead.  Kind of like a mirror of the team as a whole.

Kreider?  He's fine but nothing he does stands out.  Fastest man on the ice with a linemate who looks to feed him.  How many breakaways?  Best guy on the team at the edge of the crease.  How many deflections this year?  How many rebounds turned into a hard chance?

It's like watching this whole team sleep-skating through the season.

Yeah, I didn't mention Trouba because he's obviously injured and has been for the entire season.  Always had a questionable set of legs but he made up for it with outstanding upper body work on the opponent.  Not this year.

13 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Who knew that Nemeth was the glue?

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

Now that you mention it, I was told that if we lost McKegg, Rooney, Hunt, and Reaves, we'd be better... 

you’re both wrong. We miss georgiev. Everyone hating him brought the team together. 

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

Halak is washed and Geo is getting more playing time as a starter, which we know helps, and is playing in back of a stacked team. That also helps. lol

.....With a defensive structure/system, with full 5-man support, and dedication to coverage in their own zone.

@deejaid and to everyone else who has served or is serving - thank you!

Surprised and disappointed. The short summary of my post in the last GDT is this; Team has a head issue. We haven't lost skill or ability. Not to the degree that it looks like we have. Nope! We have a serious mental issue. Does that encompass game plan, heart, determination, drive to succeed, etc.? Absolutely. Trouba's lack of reaction to having his stick bitch-poked out of his hands confirms my premise. With last year's swagger, the team would have been over the boards pounding Draisaitl. This team needs a psychologist more than anything. I say that with respect.

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 1