• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Trade Ryan Reaves to Wild for 5th-Round Pick

siddious

4 hours ago, josh said:

This wasn't going to happen when they brought in Reaves and Goodrow. 

Ones gone. Might as well get rid of the other one who isn't playing "hard to play against" or leading by example, orrr instilling good habits onto his teammates. 

Pretty sure their next move is sending Jones down and acquiring more waiver fodder in the form of a large bodied vet Dman. Probably trade for Tinordi.... Yeah... that'll fix everything. 

On 11/26/2022 at 11:29 AM, The Dude said:

He does that. For like a shift per week. Vesey stinks. Hence the PTOs for the last 3 years.

He plays with no heart, has nobody's back in scrums and gives a vibe of a guy that isn't a part of the team. I'm pretty sure that's why the Rangers got rid of him in the first place, along with Hayes and Miller.  Not a good locker room guy. 

If he did that for one shift per week, he wouldn't be playing at all, and would be sent down.

He looks like he weighs 150 pounds, all he has is heart. Whose back is he going to have in scrums? Again, his size. And if you've been watching, 90% of the players on the ice at any given time, give off a vibe that they aren't part of the team. I wouldn't know if he is, or isn't a good locker-room guy, and either would you.

Vesey is not the problem. The problem is the bigger names, who refuse to skate hard and go to the net. If they did that, Vesey's ice time would be reduced, and the Rangers might actually look interested in playing hockey, and winning a few games. 

• Keeps it 100 1

15 minutes ago, jamsim1967 said:

If he did that for one shift per week, he wouldn't be playing at all, and would be sent down.

He looks like he weighs 150 pounds, all he has is heart. Whose back is he going to have in scrums? Again, his size. And if you've been watching, 90% of the players on the ice at any given time, give off a vibe that they aren't part of the team. I wouldn't know if he is, or isn't a good locker-room guy, and either would you.

Vesey is not the problem. The problem is the bigger names, who refuse to skate hard and go to the net. If they did that, Vesey's ice time would be reduced, and the Rangers might actually look interested in playing hockey, and winning a few games. 

I don't know what games you're watching.  He doesn't give constant effort. 

Jimmy Vesey is listed as 6'3 200 pounds. Stop acting like he's this tiny little guy. 

Who's back is he going to have? His teammates. Anyone. If there's a scrum and everyone is engaged with face washes,  headlocks, or anything. This douche is late to the party and does nothing. A hand on the shoulder with zero eye contact is the most you'll get from him. Meanwhile a guy like Hajek who has the exact same build, gets in people's faces and wrestles with much bigger players when it comes time to do it. 

I would and do know if he's a good locker-room guy. Like I said. It was reported when they got rid of him, Hayes and Miller that they all had negative effects in the locker-room.

Him being on as many teams as he's been- on PTOs- should lend perspective as to the notion that there's an issue there. Players with all this heart you like to praise him for aren't on their 3rd PTO before they turn 30. . 

Vesey is A problem. He's taking a top 6 spot away from literally anyone worth a damn. He's playing over our 1 OA our 2 OA, and a guy playing his dick off in Gauthier. He took a roster spot away from Othmann. Got a glue guy (Hunt) placed on waivers. 

Vesey has 2 goals and 5 assists and has played a decent chunk of his time in the top 6. 1 goal and 4 of those assists came against the dregs of the league (Ari, Det, SJ, LA).

Ryan Carpenter has 1 goal and 2 assists as the 4th line center.  He gets like 9 minutes a night. How's that for perspective? 

Vesey has a reputation like I said. I didn't make it up. He's been on 4 teams since he was dealt, back in 19. He had a reputation before he originally came to the Rangers..  You're hitching a wagon to this guy. Why? He's a dud. He's been a dud. He's gotten opportunity everywhere he's been and has quickly been cast away by everyone. 

I really really don't mind the guy as a 4th liner or 13th forward. He has his moments.  But he's like a bottom rung hired gun. He has zero future here and he plays like it. Zero commitment. I'd rather see anyone play in his spot. 

Is it coincidence that the players that have been playing with Vesey, now have this garbage like appearance and mannerisms? That "knock the stick out of my hands  and I'll do nothing" look and feel about them? Nah. He probably instills that abundance of heart he has. Because he's soaking wet or something.  

6 hours ago, The Dude said:

Jimmy Vesey is listed as 6'3 200 pounds. Stop acting like he's this tiny little guy. 

Who's back is he going to have? His teammates. Anyone. If there's a scrum and everyone is engaged with face washes,  headlocks, or anything. This douche is late to the party and does nothing. A hand on the shoulder with zero eye contact is the most you'll get from him. Meanwhile a guy like Hajek who has the exact same build, gets in people's faces and wrestles with much bigger players when it comes time to do it. 

I would and do know if he's a good locker-room guy. Like I said. It was reported when they got rid of him, Hayes and Miller that they all had negative effects in the locker-room.

Him being on as many teams as he's been- on PTOs- should lend perspective as to the notion that there's an issue there. Players with all this heart you like to praise him for aren't on their 3rd PTO before they turn 30. . 

Vesey is A problem. He's taking a top 6 spot away from literally anyone worth a damn. He's playing over our 1 OA our 2 OA, and a guy playing his dick off in Gauthier. He took a roster spot away from Othmann. Got a glue guy (Hunt) placed on waivers. 

Vesey has 2 goals and 5 assists and has played a decent chunk of his time in the top 6. 1 goal and 4 of those assists came against the dregs of the league (Ari, Det, SJ, LA).

Ryan Carpenter has 1 goal and 2 assists as the 4th line center.  He gets like 9 minutes a night. How's that for perspective? 

Vesey has a reputation like I said. I didn't make it up. He's been on 4 teams since he was dealt, back in 19. He had a reputation before he originally came to the Rangers..  You're hitching a wagon to this guy. Why? He's a dud. He's been a dud. He's gotten opportunity everywhere he's been and has quickly been cast away by everyone. 

I really really don't mind the guy as a 4th liner or 13th forward. He has his moments.  But he's like a bottom rung hired gun. He has zero future here and he plays like it. Zero commitment. I'd rather see anyone play in his spot. 

Is it coincidence that the players that have been playing with Vesey, now have this garbage like appearance and mannerisms? That "knock the stick out of my hands  and I'll do nothing" look and feel about them? Nah. He probably instills that abundance of heart he has. Because he's soaking wet or something.  

So you're mad at Vesey for where Gallant plays him?

24 minutes ago, Pete said:

So you're mad at Vesey for where Gallant plays him?

Yes.

It's something a lot of us saw coming when he came in on the PTO. Gallant loves slotting up garbage players, but most times he has zero patience with younger more talented players who would benefit from seeing consistent time in the top 6. 

With Vesey I honestly feel he's exactly as described.  It looks like there's no camaraderie with him. After any situation,  just watch his interaction with the team. Goal? Meh. Scrum? Meh. Win? Meh. On the bench? Meh. 

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

Yes.

It's something a lot of us saw coming when he came in on the PTO. Gallant loves slotting up garbage players, but most times he has zero patience with younger more talented players who would benefit from seeing consistent time in the top 6. 

Then this is a GG issue not a Vesey issue. He's not "stealing" a spot or "taking" anything away from anyone. He's playing where the coach pencils him in.

If you've got that beef, it's with GG and/or Drury. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

Yes.

With Vesey I honestly feel he's exactly as described.  It looks like there's no camaraderie with him. After any situation,  just watch his interaction with the team. Goal? Meh. Scrum? Meh. Win? Meh. On the bench? Meh. 

I feel like you know Vesey personally and have some beef with him. I'm not disagreeing with your points but you seem to have an intimate knowledge of his personality.

9 hours ago, Pete said:

Then this is a GG issue not a Vesey issue. He's not "stealing" a spot or "taking" anything away from anyone. He's playing where the coach pencils him in.

If you've got that beef, it's with GG and/or Drury. 

It can be with whoever.  What does it matter? The player isn't very good. He's playing more than he should. It bea @josh mom problem.  It doesn't make Vesey any better than he is and it certainly doesn't give backbone to the exaggeratedpraise@jamsim1967 gives to Vesey. 

Vesey stinks and shouldn't be in any NHL teams top 6. Wanna blame MY mom instead of @josh? Fine. 

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

It can be with whoever.  What does it matter? The player isn't very good. He's playing more than he should. It bea @josh mom problem.  It doesn't make Vesey any better than he is and it certainly doesn't give backbone to the exaggeratedpraise@jamsim1967 gives to Vesey. 

Vesey stinks and shouldn't be in any NHL teams top 6. Wanna blame MY mom instead of @josh? Fine. 

Vesey actually isn't hurting them in the top 6 as much as Goodrow is.

He's just an odd focal point for your anger, you spend so much time talking crap about him when the fault lies with Gallant and even more with the kids for not being good enough to take a spot from a player that you think is so awful. It should be really easy for them to play their way up the lineup if he's as bad as you say he is. 

Edited by Pete
  • Bullseye 1

8 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

I feel like you know Vesey personally and have some beef with him. I'm not disagreeing with your points but you seem to have an intimate knowledge of his personality.

I'm just going off of body language and what was said about the trio of players (when they were dealt) I have mentioned twice already.

The team attitude has taken a major shit ever since Vesey has been given top line minutes. The nonchalant, "whatever" vibe that has settled into that locker room reminds me more of the days prior to Quinn. It definitely could be coincidence that it showed up when Vesey arrived. Even more coincidence that every team he's been on since leaving here had pretty much adopted the same issues. 

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I'm just going off of body language and what was said about the trio of players (when they were dealt) I have mentioned twice already.

The team attitude has taken a major shit ever since Vesey has been given top line minutes. The nonchalant, "whatever" vibe that has settled into that locker room reminds me more of the days prior to Quinn. It definitely could be coincidence that it showed up when Vesey arrived. Even more coincidence that every team he's been on since leaving here had pretty much adopted the same issues. 

If Vesey being on the team has ruined it so bad then that locker room had no chance to begin with. 

• Bullseye 1
  • JIMMY! 1
  • Applause 1

19 hours ago, The Dude said:

Dude (no pun intended), I watch all the games I can, or can stomach. I know he's bigger than 150, But to me, he just doesn't look like it. Should he be a top 6? Probably not, and he probably wouldn't be if a few of the players on this team with more talent started playing up to that talent. I think you'll agree, they aren't.

I'm tired of watching this team on a nightly basis, just go through the motions. How many of them have the look of someone who really wants to be a part of this team? Vesey is a top 6, because he skates hard and goes to the net. Any number of his team-mates could and should be doing the same thing, but for whatever reason they just aren't. That's what I have a problem with. I hate watching this team, on a nightly basis just mail it in. I'm not picking out one or two players, when I know there's a ton of excess weight, who are playing like they'd rather be somewhere else.

I don't look at Vesey and see top 6. Just like you, I see him as a 4th line forward. Someone who won't make many mistakes, and will be on the ice long enough to give the top 2 lines time to rest and get back on the ice. Anybody you can think of who is playing like they want to be top 6? Anybody below Vesey on the pecking order, needs to be honest with themselves, and understand that they aren't playing as hard as they should.

At this point, I'd like to see a few players come up from Hartford who will skate hard, and drive to the net like they actually want to be a part of this team.

30 minutes ago, Pete said:

Vesey actually isn't hurting them in the top 6 as much as Goodrow is.

He's just an odd focal point for your anger, you spend so much time talking crap about him when the fault lies with Gallant and even more with the kids for not being good enough to take a spot from a player that you think is so awful. It should be really easy for them to play their way up the lineup if he's as bad as you say he is. 

I beat that horse last season. My disappointment with Kakko and Lafrenière is on record and I got plenty of shit for it.  

This season atleast the kids have a reason to not be in the top 6, as they seem to play their best as a unit. 

There were/ are other avenues that should have been given an opportunity, before Vesey was given this long of a run. Gauthier being one. Chytil another, Blais too and of course Kravtsov. 

I blamed Drury for plenty last season and I was told to shiut up. Heck, I'm pretty sure you were topping the chart in defending Drury and most of the moves I had issue with. 

There's plenty of blame to go around.  Theres plenty that this franchise has done in the last 3 or more years that I have bitched about. The  focal point I'm talking about right here and now I'd that Vesey is garbage. You can skip this portion if you like. That's just what I'm talking about.  

Gauthier,  Lafrenière,  Kravtsov,  Kakko and Blais should all be given the opportunity that Vesey now has. Simply because of what the team has invested in them  ( maybe not Gauthier...).  When the team has fallen,  the team shouldn't be turning to Jimmy god damn Vesey to try to scrape up wins. It's not going to happen and they gain absolutely nothing in doing so.

Maybe it's time for the team to admit the rebuild never occurred with the correct pieces (Which they may or may not have in house) and react accordingly. Which would mean Vesey is strictly bottom 6, 13th forward or in Hartford. It's embarrassing. I'm not going to -not- say anything about the craptitude of a player Vesey is, no matter who's fault it is that he's even here. 

I've slammed Goodrow too to no avail. Keep hearing about how he was worth that contract and isn't a problem. 

Edited by The Dude

17 minutes ago, siddious said:

If Vesey being on the team has ruined it so bad then that locker room had no chance to begin with. 

Maybe getting rid of a core guy like Strome had a bigger effect than just the score sheet. Maybe casting off role players like Rooney, Hunt, Motte, Vatrano, Braun and Copp did more damage than people care to admit?

Sometimes there are staples to a team and contributions in facets we don't see or recognize.  A tight locker-room had a few pieces ripped out from it without a thought. Sure, you can't afford to keep everyone. You can't keep going to the same well. But sometimes the gm and coach miss the importance of what made a team click OFF the ice. Whatever is missing from this rosters psyche, was here last season (Hence their run).  What pieces were the most integral can be debated. 

13 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I beat that horse last season. My disappointment with Kakko and Lafrenière is on record and I got plenty of shit for it.  

This season atleast the kids have a reason to not be in the top 6, as they seem to play their best as a unit. 

There were/ are other avenues that should have been given an opportunity, before Vesey was given this long of a run. Gauthier being one. Chytil another, Blais too and of course Kravtsov. 

I blamed Drury for plenty last season and I was told to shiut up. Heck, I'm pretty sure you were topping the chart in defending Drury and most of the moves I had issue with. 

There's plenty of blame to go around.  Theres plenty that this franchise has done in the last 3 or more years that I have bitched about. The  focal point I'm talking about right here and now I'd that Vesey is garbage. You can skip this portion if you like. That's just what I'm talking about.  

Gauthier,  Lafrenière,  Kravtsov,  Kakko and Blais should all be given the opportunity that Vesey now has. Simply because of what the team has invested in them  ( maybe not Gauthier...).  When the team has fallen,  the team shouldn't be turning to Jimmy god damn Vesey to try to scrape up wins. It's not going to happen and they gain absolutely nothing in doing so.

Maybe it's time for the team to admit the rebuild never occurred with the correct pieces (Which they may or may not have in house) and react accordingly. Which would mean Vesey is strictly bottom 6, 13th forward or in Hartford. It's embarrassing. I'm not going to -not- say anything about the craptitude of a player Vesey is, no matter who's fault it is that he's even here. 

I've slammed Goodrow too to no avail. Keep hearing about how he was worth that contract and isn't a problem. 

Goodrow isn't the problem, the coach playing him in the top six is.

Likewise, Vesey actually isn't a problem. The fact that no one else took those spots is a problem. 

It's like complaining that the duct tape holding on your bumper is crappy. 

24 minutes ago, jamsim1967 said:

Dude (no pun intended), I watch all the games I can, or can stomach. I know he's bigger than 150, But to me, he just doesn't look like it. Should he be a top 6? Probably not, and he probably wouldn't be if a few of the players on this team with more talent started playing up to that talent. I think you'll agree, they aren't.

I'm tired of watching this team on a nightly basis, just go through the motions. How many of them have the look of someone who really wants to be a part of this team? Vesey is a top 6, because he skates hard and goes to the net. Any number of his team-mates could and should be doing the same thing, but for whatever reason they just aren't. That's what I have a problem with. I hate watching this team, on a nightly basis just mail it in. I'm not picking out one or two players, when I know there's a ton of excess weight, who are playing like they'd rather be somewhere else.

I don't look at Vesey and see top 6. Just like you, I see him as a 4th line forward. Someone who won't make many mistakes, and will be on the ice long enough to give the top 2 lines time to rest and get back on the ice. Anybody you can think of who is playing like they want to be top 6? Anybody below Vesey on the pecking order, needs to be honest with themselves, and understand that they aren't playing as hard as they should.

At this point, I'd like to see a few players come up from Hartford who will skate hard, and drive to the net like they actually want to be a part of this team.

Guess you haven't been watching Gauthier for the last 2 seasons.  Want a guy to seriously go to the net consistently? There's the guy who should be rewarded for his play. He got one game on Panarin's wing this season where he got like 9 minutes of icetime.. 

The coaching staff fails to evaluate the players and distribute icetime accordingly or appropriately.  The PP1 until being a prime example. No matter how any of those players play during a game,  they are out there to start and finish the entire 2 minutes. Meanwhile, the kid line could draw 4 penalties in said game and not see any PP time.. That's an example of poor in game evaluation and fair distribution of icetime. 

Miller and Trouba are burned for 3 goals by playing weak and timid? They get more icetime late in the game and the 3rd pair (which... lets say had a goal and Schneider had 2 huge hits) gets glued to the bench.. 

The reasoning behind the decision making has no reason anymore. It's just Gallant playing the supposed top players. Not the best performers on the night. 

Kravtsov still being benched is god damn ridiculous. This lineup is missing 2 talented RWs to play in the top 6. They currently would rather use a 4th line center and a PTO pile of shit, over a guy who is consistently playing hard  and the teams most readily available offensive prospect. Nevermind their 1st and 2nd OA blundering prospects, whom also never get consistent long looks in the top 6.

There's only so many combinations you can trot out there if you keep the same LWs and centers together forever (meaning Kakko and Lafrenière only rotated RW spots for the same LW/C combos that never changed).. And when the coach finally decides to break up the duos... Jimmy Vesey and Barclay Goodrow get the nod for the spots in the top six. 

24 minutes ago, Pete said:

Goodrow isn't the problem, the coach playing him in the top six is.

Likewise, Vesey actually isn't a problem. The fact that no one else took those spots is a problem. 

It's like complaining that the duct tape holding on your bumper is crappy. 

Meh. I can complain about the players on the roster and where they are playing and have it be more than complaining just to complain, or have it be classified as misdirected. 

I wasn't big on bringing these players in to begin with.  So, I have vested interest in complaining about them in any way I want. 

There are other players that I wanted back here in place of these 2....  IMO, instead of signing Goodrow and Nemeth, they could have resigned Buch and filled that 4th line role with waiver fodder like Riley Nash or one of the Ritchies, which also prevents the ridiculous extension or acquisition of Reaves. Then you aren't pressured to make Kravtsov or Kakko work right away. Kakko could have spent time in Hartford with the team not missing a beat, and using the excuse that their prospects are failing because the team isn't here to develop prospects.. 

But this is all woulda, coulda, shoulda talk and it gets us nowhere. So. I'll bitch about Vesey in the same sense as I bitched about Hunt last season. There ARE better options.  This coach would rather be a stubborn ass and try to make an example of young players,  rather than build them up. How many more times can I complain about Gallant and Drury about this stuff? 

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Meh. I can complain about the players on the roster and where they are playing and have it be more than complaining just to complain, or have it be classified as misdirected. 

I wasn't big on bringing these players in to begin with.  So, I have vested interest in complaining about them in any way I want. 

There are other players that I wanted back here in place of these 2....  IMO, instead of signing Goodrow and Nemeth, they could have resigned Buch and filled that 4th line role with waiver fodder like Riley Nash or one of the Ritchies, which also prevents the ridiculous extension or acquisition of Reaves. Then you aren't pressured to make Kravtsov or Kakko work right away. Kakko could have spent time in Hartford with the team not missing a beat, and using the excuse that their prospects are failing because the team isn't here to develop prospects.. 

But this is all woulda, coulda, shoulda talk and it gets us nowhere. So. I'll bitch about Vesey in the same sense as I bitched about Hunt last season. There ARE better options.  This coach would rather be a stubborn ass and try to make an example of young players,  rather than build them up. How many more times can I complain about Gallant and Drury about this stuff? 

Vesey is much better than Hunt. 

Steps back and watches Dudes wires cross 

• LMFAO 1