• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Blank Jerseys — Good or Bad?

BrooksBurner

13 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Buying jerseys when you're a grown man is a bad look.

I’d understand this for wearing around town, never been into that even when I was younger, but for wearing to games I don’t see the problem no matter what age. Though admittedly the reason I mentioned a blank jersey is because a part of me feels a little weird wearing the jersey of a player way younger than me. Buying the jersey of a legend or a blank kind of bypasses that.

I’ve read quite a few pretty peculiar “don’ts” over the years with fan gear that I found odd anyone would actually think there’s a problem with. I remember one being “don’t wear a jersey and a team hat to a game at the same time - you’re not a part of the team”. I find that kind of opinion more odd than anything

19 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

I’d understand this for wearing around town, never been into that even when I was younger, but for wearing to games I don’t see the problem no matter what age. Though admittedly the reason I mentioned a blank jersey is because a part of me feels a little weird wearing the jersey of a player way younger than me. Buying the jersey of a legend or a blank kind of bypasses that.

I’ve read quite a few pretty peculiar “don’ts” over the years with fan gear that I found odd anyone would actually think there’s a problem with. I remember one being “don’t wear a jersey and a team hat to a game at the same time - you’re not a part of the team”. I find that kind of opinion more odd than anything

If you're going the fan route, I'd say it's fine. I bought my 6 year old a nice Matthews jersey Saturday night. He was very excited. He also asked me what icing was 16 times during the game.

If you're going for the "I know what I'm talking about" route, I would not purchase a jersey. Nobody who knows what they're talking about, in hockey, owns a jersey. I can't think of anyone I know whose in hockey, whom I've ever seen in a jersey.

Obviously I sound like a arrogant prick, and I am, but it's true. 

Edited by Dunny

25 minutes ago, Dunny said:

If you're going the fan route, I'd say it's fine. I bought my 6 year old a nice Matthews jersey Saturday night. He was very excited. He also asked me what icing was 16 times during the game.

If you're going for the "I know what I'm talking about" route, I would not purchase a jersey. Nobody who knows what they're talking about, in hockey, owns a jersey. I can't think of anyone I know whose in hockey, whom I've ever seen in a jersey.

I wouldn’t say arrogant more than it is just what you’ve observed and subsequently accepted based on your experiences. I personally have never heard of jersey wearing being strongly correlated with a lack of knowledge of the game.

1 minute ago, rmc51 said:

I wouldn’t say arrogant more than it is just what you’ve observed and subsequently accepted based on your experiences. I personally have never heard of jersey wearing being strongly correlated with a lack of knowledge of the game.

Because it isn't, lol. This is the ultimate anecdote. "I've never seen a black swan therefore black swans don't exist."

6 hours ago, The Dude said:

Jerseys are dumb. You playing? No. So why wear it? 

I haven't bought a jersey since my ex got me a nice replica Nash jersey (I'm pretty sure she used my credit card) for Christmas a long time ago.  Never wore it to anything but a game.  Made her wear it as jam jams. 

If your not in high-school, I see no reason to wear a jersey in public. Not practical.  Unless you want a dude or 2 to say "Let's go Rangers" to you and have it be all awkward.  "Yeah ....... man... uhhhh, Let's go... Rangers.."

It's pretty much the thing that there's nothing wrong with.  

Same dude.  I wear a jersey when I play.  I don't like wearing them otherwise.  I prefer the shirsey.  

• Like 1

I got some iconic jerseys, Lindros, Holik home jerseys 🤣.  A couple of Barnaby jerseys.  Avery, Lundqvist, 2 Statue of Liberties, one with Gretzky and one is a blank.  

Last jersey I bought was a road Girardi, wore it once, and just sits and collects dust, with all my other ones in the closet now.....I did wear the blank statue of liberty jersey when I was in Nashville last weekend, but other than that I think the last time I wore a jersey was Lundqvist Night.  

Im a shirsey guy now, a lot cheaper.  

Jerseys = eunuch babe repellant.    Those guys with all of the Rangers stuff who get the features on MSG don't look like they get a lot.

If I bought one, I'd go with one of those companies mentioned before that make the vintage replicas.  If you want a modern jersey, buy one customized for a player you like who's not on the team anymore.  It can be had on ebay for about 25 percent of the cost of customizing one for a current player.

6 hours ago, The Dude said:

Jerseys are dumb. You playing? No. So why wear it? 

I haven't bought a jersey since my ex got me a nice replica Nash jersey (I'm pretty sure she used my credit card) for Christmas a long time ago.  Never wore it to anything but a game.  Made her wear it as jam jams. 

If your not in high-school, I see no reason to wear a jersey in public. Not practical.  Unless you want a dude or 2 to say "Let's go Rangers" to you and have it be all awkward.  "Yeah ....... man... uhhhh, Let's go... Rangers.."

It's pretty much the thing that there's nothing wrong with.  

Post of the day. I laughed out loud. Thank you.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Because it isn't, lol. This is the ultimate anecdote. "I've never seen a black swan therefore black swans don't exist."

It is. I'm not talking rattling off points on Twitter. I'm talking actual people involved in the game of hockey.

1 hour ago, rmc51 said:

Well, you're quite welcome for me saving you so much embarrassment.

😇

6 hours ago, deejaid said:

I mentioned in the Sharks game day thread the other night, I only own two  Rangers jerseys.  One is a 25 year old Pat Lafontaine jersey as I was always a fan of his and was excited he joined the Rangers.  That obviously didn’t last long. The other is a white home Beezer jersey I got in the 80’s.  Don’t know where that one is actually and would never wear it again.

For me, the idea of a having a favorite player and showing my fandom by wearing their jersey was cool when I was a kid, but now I’d feel silly having a favorite player jersey as many of the players are half my age.

I did look at the NHL Shop recently and saw they have some hoodies which look jersey-like with the striping which are kind of cool.  I’d feel more comfortable wearing a team hoodie than a jersey.

Now, how about some funny custom jerseys?  Maybe a Graves 9 with the “G” and “S” removed ala “Big Daddy”?  Or celebrate our beloved Sam Rosen with a Rosen 1 jersey. 😁

I'll take that Beezer jersey ( says guy who says jerseys are dumb).  I honestly don't give a crap about a mistake he made 15 years ago.  I grew up watching and learning tid bits about the goalie position, when he would do bits for MSG. I worshipped the guy and was devastated when they made him available for the expansion draft. 

If youre a jersey wearer, I think you should wear that thing. Old #34 on an old school jersey (which I feel were made better back then, depending on where you got it and how much you spent). It's nostalgic and the guy was a Ranger backbone for many years. He said something he still regrets. So what. 

Edited by The Dude

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Same dude.  I wear a jersey when I play.  I don't like wearing them otherwise.  I prefer the shirsey.  

Maybe it's just something I've outgrown. I used to wear jerseys to party's and such.

But, these days, I guess I feel like it's something that draws attention to you if you're not at the sporting event.  I don't seek attention.  I want to be left alone. I don't want to talk about my team when I'm online at the store with complete strangers. 

That's what I come here for.  I don't ever want to see any of your god damn faces. Ever.  Lmao.  Kidding of course. 

But I guess if I were to get one, you have to go throwback and legend. Daniel Goneau being the obvious choice. 

55 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

Jerseys = eunuch babe repellant.    Those guys with all of the Rangers stuff who get the features on MSG don't look like they get a lot.

I mean, that Hells kitchen guy is obviously a creep. I'm calling pedo. No doubt. 

Hopefully he doesn't post here. 

28 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I'll take that Beezer jersey ( says guy who says jerseys are dumb).  I honestly don't give a crap about a mistake he made 15 years ago.  I grew up watching and learning tid bits about the goalie position, when he would do bits for MSG. I worshipped the guy and was devastated when they made him available for the expansion draft. 

If youre a jersey wearer, I think you should wear that thing. Old #34 on an old school jersey (which I feel were made better back then, depending on where you got it and how much you spent). It's nostalgic and the guy was a Ranger backbone for many years. He said something he still regrets. So what. 

Oh, I’ll keep it and remember how much my mom saved to buy that for me.  It was expensive and I asked for years before I got that jersey.

I grew up in Central PA, so following the Rangers in the 1980’s meant a highlight or two during a Flyers broadcast game intermission , a 15 second highlight on Headline News in the morning after a game, a small highlight on ESPN (before they got NHL rights in the 1990’s there wasn’t much coverage), and Hockey News and Hockey Digest print subscriptions.  In other words, it was difficult to be a fan.

As for what Beezer said, yes it was one slip up over 15 years ago, but to even have the capacity to say that means those feelings were deep inside him and they came to the surface.  Growing up in low income housing where I, the white kid was the minority, it hurts to know an athlete I looked up to could have those thoughts inside him.  I guess it’s the dark side of fandom.  Kids see the polished media characters and don’t really know what a player is like in their private life, especially 30 or 40 years ago before social media.

But here I am still a Rangers fan after 40 years, still watching every game.

2 hours ago, Dunny said:

kurt angle wrestling GIF by WWE

4 minutes ago, CCCP said:

how about that guy who sings with a guitar?  i fucking cringe and want to kick a cat when i see that commercial 

I don't recall that one..  I typically only get to see the Hells kitchen creep or the annoying kids and their bullshit story about their makeshift zamboni, made out of pex tubing that they supposedly drag through the fucking woods. "We recreate things that happen in the game we watched, like a Panarin leg kick". Yeah fucko? DO YA!??? Is it just a real good time?  Or is it some perverted  brother sister tongue kissing in the woods? Asshole kids. 

Lmao. 

15 minutes ago, deejaid said:

Oh, I’ll keep it and remember how much my mom saved to buy that for me.  It was expensive and I asked for years before I got that jersey.

I grew up in Central PA, so following the Rangers in the 1980’s meant a highlight or two during a Flyers broadcast game intermission , a 15 second highlight on Headline News in the morning after a game, a small highlight on ESPN (before they got NHL rights in the 1990’s there wasn’t much coverage), and Hockey News and Hockey Digest print subscriptions.  In other words, it was difficult to be a fan.

As for what Beezer said, yes it was one slip up over 15 years ago, but to even have the capacity to say that means those feelings were deep inside him and they came to the surface.  Growing up in low income housing where I, the white kid was the minority, it hurts to know an athlete I looked up to could have those thoughts inside him.  I guess it’s the dark side of fandom.  Kids see the polished media characters and don’t really know what a player is like in their private life, especially 30 or 40 years ago before social media.

But here I am still a Rangers fan after 40 years, still watching every game.

What a great story. So cool. You should post more! 

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

What a great story. So cool. You should post more! 

I try to keep up with you guys but I can’t post during games as I only get home at 8pm from work here on the west coast so I watch all my games after the fact and don’t want to see any spoilers.

My first hockey love was the Hershey Bears.  My dad and I went to games every Saturday night at the old Hershey Park Arena.  Hell, I thought that was the same as the NHL when I was really little.

Dad had a Miracle on Ice team program/commemorative magazine and I’d love looking at the pictures, I was barely old enough to remember the actual game against the Soviets.  Was 4 in 1980.

My Rangers fandom started because the Flyers wore those ridiculous Cooper-Alls in the early 1980’s.  My dad and I would watch Flyers games on Philly29 with Gene Hart doing the play-by-play.  The Flyers skate out onto the ice wearing those ugly Cooper-Alls and their opponent skated out looking just like Team USA.  I told my dad right there, the “team that looks like USA” (Rangers) are my team.

Been my team ever since.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2