• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS #19] Rangers @ San Jose Sharks — 'Smile, you son of a bitch!'

Morphinity 2.0

8 hours ago, cupalife said:

This team sucks.  Fox is a joke defensively too for all you guys who blow him

Tough row to hoe there after he scored a goal and was +1.

Fox makes mistakes, like all DMen do. I'm sure if watched Cale Makar on the nightly basis you'd see him make some.

Fox leads the team in +/-, corsi, 2nd in rel corsi, and every metric shows he's the best defensive player on the team.

That said, this team is terrible defensively. Is Adam Fox a bad defensive player? No. Like many others, he's a product of a bad system.

What data can you point to that support your stance?

• Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 3

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

Fox makes mistakes, like all DMen do. I'm sure if watched Cale Makar on the nightly basis you'd see him make some.

Fox leads the team in +/-, corsi, 2nd in rel corsi, and every metric shows he's the best defensive player on the team.

That said, this team is terrible defensively. Is Adam Fox a bad defensive player? No. Like many others, he's a product of a bad system.

!!!!!!!

Would've been great to see a shutout for Igor, but of course we knew we couldn't get an easy one here.  I admit I left a little Cocoa Puff in my shorts at the end!!

...And here are the Top 7 nominees for Ozzy’s Quote of the GDT,

12 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

All I want is for Kaapo Kakko to score on Kaapo Kahkonen one day.

11 hours ago, josh said:

In true rangers fashion, kahkonen will be the rangers goalie in this scenario 

10 hours ago, Br4d said:

Post!  Post!  Crossbar!

I'm ready to sacrifice a bag full of chickens right about now!

9 hours ago, Keirik said:

I can't believe my Saturday nights have been reduced ed to watching a 0-0 game on my iPad while on bed with a snoring wife.

I used to be someone. This wasn't how I planned it.

9 hours ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

Beezer always sounds like he’s stepped on one of his own balls. 

9 hours ago, deejaid said:

Thank good these tickets were through my work and I didn’t pay for this.  

9 hours ago, Karan said:

Oh boy, that was an ugly ass 2 pts alright...

…and the winning quote for tonight’s GDT goes to @Keirik the big man! 

Yeah man, I hear ya...That's why we have The Bar Room Brotherhood!!  The 5th is coming up!!  We'll save you, dude!!!

Not the prettiest 2 points we're ever gonna see, but at this point, take it and get the hell outta Dodge!

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Bullseye 1
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, rmc51 said:

That last 20 seconds ruined the entire feeling. Threw away the shutout on Igor then forced him to make a good save to win. Just dumb. Not a good look for the coaching staff that the team doesn’t know how to be in basic positioning with a lead

Exactly my thoughts. It's just a bad look for a team that claimed that this was a 'must-win' game, to collectively drop the ball like that after going up 2-0. Not to mention the fact how pissed Igor was after the previous loss, the least they could do was play the final minute with some desperation to earn your goalie a much deserved shutout. But no, let's just coast this one to the finish line and hang on by the skin of our teeth. And yeah seemingly poor messaging by the coaching staff as well.

It's the little moments like that, don't give me any confidence whatsoever that this team is capable of stringing a winning streak together.

10 hours ago, rmc51 said:

That last 20 seconds ruined the entire feeling. Threw away the shutout on Igor then forced him to make a good save to win. Just dumb. Not a good look for the coaching staff that the team doesn’t know how to be in basic positioning with a lead

Double post sorry.

Edited by Karan

3 hours ago, Pete said:

I'm mistaken then you are right.  Who is the worst in +/- on the team and about 700th in the league?

Just now, cupalife said:

Fox is basically Tony Deangelo without he baggage or the balls.  

That is not a dig either because I love Deangelo.  I just think people need to be realistic to what Fox is.  A dynamic offensive defenseman who controls play.  One he has to defend he is not very good.  Leetch was very similar early in his career.  So those things can improve.

wow that's some stretch even putting those two and their skills in the same sentence but ok.

I will say this no NHL player should need coaching to not leave the center of the ice that wide open ever but especially in that situation, to me that's on the players 100%. Not knowing where to go?  Imo there's a ton of brain dead shit that goes on, plays where guys at this level should know better, have been taught the basics since they first put skates on.  Again though you can't fire the whole team so ultimately if this continues to happen Gallant will take the fall.  

58 minutes ago, cupalife said:

That is not a dig either because I love Deangelo.  I just think people need to be realistic to what Fox is.  A dynamic offensive defenseman who controls play.  One he has to defend he is not very good.  Leetch was very similar early in his career.  So those things can improve.

This is like comparing dry aged jamon to oscar mayer bologna. Sure, they're both meat (maybe). But one is elite in it's category and the other one is okay in a pinch if you're desperate, and not the centerpiece of anything you're trying to present and be proud of.

• Bullseye 2

13 hours ago, Sod16 said:

Alas, looks like The Dude did not stay up to see Goat score a late game winner.  I sort of think Goat would not clear waivers at this point...  Now, how about a little top 6 action for the lad?

Been working outside the last 2 weeks. Caught a bad head cold and haven't been able to stay up late enough to watch this bag of shit. 

Once again Gauthier scores a goal and receives the least amount of icetime on the team. He's the only fucking guy that gets ONE game to prove he can play in the top 6 (a couple games ago) and still only play 9 minutes in said game.  He's either an asshole, a loud mouth, or a complainer, because there no reason why he shouldn't be playing more for this team, in its current state. 

He won't clear waivers,  but I can see them trading him while he's semi hot. Pretty sure they'll do something stupid like deal him for a shitty vet Dman and send down Jones. Clearing a spot for Reaves to play every game.  

5 hours ago, cupalife said:

Fox is basically Tony Deangelo without he baggage or the balls.  

I honestly don't really disagree with this as much as others will. Though Fox is definitely better defensively. Fox has been a bit "off" defensively this season. 

DeAngelo does more (offensively) with less IMO, but he seemed to fall apart in the playoffs, when it mattered most. You really can't shit on back to back 50+ point seasons from a guy that isn't your top minutes eater.

Fox wasn't great in the playoffs, but he had some big spots while being overused.  

They are used in different ways. One can be relied upon in any situation and the other is more of a special teams player, who plays with a bit more chippyness.

I liked DeAngelo as a player, because of his offensive skills and his spitfire attitude.  I aligned with him politically too. But the guy is really just an asshole.  A ballsy, loudmouth, offensively gifted hockey playing asshole. An asshole I liked having on the team. 

But Fox is the better player and a more stable human.  I'll continue to think he's overpaid, but being a PPG defender is hard to argue about as being anything negative. When Fox is "on", he's amonst the elite in all of the sport.  He's having a less than stellar defensive season,  but he's no different than anyone else on this team not named Schneider, whom I feel is playing the best of all the D men lately  (he started off pretty bad).

It's not unthinkable to say Fox will get his entire game on track sooner or later. It IS kinda unthinkable that DeAngelo will not play for about 8 teams in his career because of the type of player and person he is. That's all the difference and that is pretty big. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

With the caveat that I didn't stay up for last nights game, this retrospective on Fox is somewhere between "did he stink last night?" and what appears to be a widespread drug trip. 

The guy is top 5 or so in nearly every defensive category that matters. He's an elite scorer. He's an elite passer. He's won a Norris and is probably the front-runner to win a second at the quarter-pole of the season. What more do you want from him?

That this team apparently can't buy any of the bounces they got last year is concerning. Fox is the least concerning part of this team right now.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

2 hours ago, cupalife said:

I'm asking why +/- is a relatable stat in Fox's case but not Panarin's.  Maybe Fox has good luck?

Fine ignore +/-. I only included it because I thought I was speaking your outdated language. Every other metric aligns with my point.

What metrics align with yours? 

3 hours ago, Sod16 said:

I'm not sure how anyone who watched the Rangers-Canes series is seriously talking about Fox being DeAngelo without balls.

There’s a lot of truth to that. I’ve historically been a pro ADA guy, but his revenge series was exactly against us last year in the playoffs and he not only shit the bed, he stained it in a way that Carolina walked away. That cannot be ignored. 

Having said that, I still maintain that the Rangers should have bridged Fox handsomely instead of giving him 9m. I get that it might  have costed 10m or so later but I 100% was willing to take that risk and have him for 2-3 years at 7m or so just to relieve a bit of cap pressure.