• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Start the Clock: We're Officially on Lindy Watch

Phil

9 minutes ago, josh said:

Didn’t you have a thread about him getting fired after every season he’s been with the devils? 

or has it just seemed like he’s been there for awhile? I thought this was season 4, but I’m not looking. 

Not that I recall, no. I regretted not picking him for the First to Be Fired thread, though:

I feel like every year with them, it’s the same song and dance. “Just wait for the kids. Here comes Hughes. Our team is young and up and coming.”

They’re not wrong. They’re young. But Hughes has to prove he could remain healthy and productive. That’s 1. And number 2, as it’s been spoken about here, their attention to defense is just horrible. And their forwards are good, but not good enough to outscore their mistakes.

Their defense and goaltending is poor. I’m not sure how many of you feel about him, but I felt Vanecek was an average goalie. Putting him behind that defense is going to make him look bad the same way it’s made Blackwood look bad. 

9 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I feel like every year with them, it’s the same song and dance. “Just wait for the kids. Here comes Hughes. Our team is young and up and coming.”

They’re not wrong. They’re young. But Hughes has to prove he could remain healthy and productive. That’s 1. And number 2, as it’s been spoken about here, their attention to defense is just horrible. And their forwards are good, but not good enough to outscore their mistakes.

Their defense and goaltending is poor. I’m not sure how many of you feel about him, but I felt Vanecek was an average goalie. Putting him behind that defense is going to make him look bad the same way it’s made Blackwood look bad. 

Their problem has always been structure in defense, just look at those Hynes teams, ouch. 

• 2 weeks later...

Might be time to bump this. 8 games have been played since the creation of this thread. Devils are 7-1. 

I feel like it’s with smoke and mirrors but results are results. Bratt playing very well, Hischier as well, and even Hughes coming into his own a bit. Gotta give Ruff a bit of credit here at this point. 

Hughes has figured out how to dangel and put up points the last two seasons on shitty teams.  If he can stay healthy he's going to perennially put up big numbers but he maybe less responsible on the other side of the puck. Hischier has taken longer to get going but he too seems to have find his stride IF he can stay healthy as well.  Some of it maybe smoke and mirrors but if they can get even average goaltending their not the doormat they were the last bunch of seasons. 

2 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Do we think they keep it up and make the playoffs? Long season but outside of Carolina and NYR, the Metro is ripe for the picking.

they might if they make some trades/adjustments to shore up their D.  I think if they're in the middle of it, they will make trades.  they have assets and cap space