• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Dahmer

Phil

I’m having a hard time getting into it. I don’t know why. Maybe because I’ve known his story already for the most part or maybe because it’s a bit too dragged oit? 
I’ll power through it eventually but it’s not gripping me much. 

1 hour ago, Keirik said:

I’m having a hard time getting into it. I don’t know why. Maybe because I’ve known his story already for the most part or maybe because it’s a bit too dragged oit? 

Same here, exactly how we describe it "dragged out".  We ended up baling after about 4-5 episodes. Wasn't at all what we expected as far as the riveting factor. 🤷‍♂️

9 hours ago, Keirik said:

Watched the whole thing. It really is ridiculoulsy dragged out. No way this required 10 hours, and there is  there's plenty of data out there that the producers get carried away with their own take "based on true events". The neighbor lady became the center of the story over the last 5 hours, and she really was an amalgam of several different women rather than 1 person and wasn't his next door neighbor at all.  As if the story wasn't compelling and awful by itself. 

Also, had a hard time with the dad for "Stepbrothers" being his dad; thought at any second he might break out into a joke.  And uglying up "Pretty in Pink". et al Molly Ringwald as his stepmom was a bit much. 

Edited by Bugg

Surprised it took this long for someone to make this thread.  I contemplated it a few times.  Anyway, my wife and I are 8 episodes in, I am 9 lol.  I agree that there are times it was dragged out a bit too much.  Did we really need to spend half an episode on how the deaf kid was brought up and why be became deaf?  As tragic as that was.  I feel like most of episode 9 was just filler too.  It showed very little about Jeff and his situation and focused more on the "Glenda" character and the Laotian family.  And as Bugg brought up, "Glenda" isn't even the real Glenda.  She's getting a whole lot of airtime for a character that isn't even a real person.  There was a Glenda, but she wasn't his next door neighbor.  The real Glenda didn't even live in the damn building, she lived in the building next door.  I'll tell you though, the kid portraying Jeff did a fantastic job.  I watched a few actual documentaries about him and his voice and mannerisms and accent are bang on.  Has a bit of a Napoleon Dynamite thing about him.  Anyway, after we eventually finish it we have the Jeffrey Dahmer Tapes on deck.

Edited by SaveByRichter35
  • Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

An acting clinic by Evan Peter's, but yes, too dragged out. Although, I didn't think it was too bad considering it's Netflix. Netflix is guilty of this in most things. I feel most of their series could be 8 episodes instead of 10, or even less. Hell, I think some of their full seasons could've been played out in a movie instead of a ten hour season.

Finished last night.  Way too much air time for the fake "Glenda" Character.  I get the point of it is to show how his actions had lasting effects on the victim's families.  Spread it around more though.    I don't know.  I enjoyed the storylines that centered on Dahmer himself.  I would like to have heard more from the kid that got away in the first episode.  

• Like 1

On 10/10/2022 at 7:48 AM, SaveByRichter35 said:

Surprised it took this long for someone to make this thread.  I contemplated it a few times.  Anyway, my wife and I are 8 episodes in, I am 9 lol.  I agree that there are times it was dragged out a bit too much.  Did we really need to spend half an episode on how the deaf kid was brought up and why be became deaf?  As tragic as that was.  I feel like most of episode 9 was just filler too.  It showed very little about Jeff and his situation and focused more on the "Glenda" character and the Laotian family.  And as Bugg brought up, "Glenda" isn't even the real Glenda.  She's getting a whole lot of airtime for a character that isn't even a real person.  There was a Glenda, but she wasn't his next door neighbor.  The real Glenda didn't even live in the damn building, she lived in the building next door.  I'll tell you though, the kid portraying Jeff did a fantastic job.  I watched a few actual documentaries about him and his voice and mannerisms and accent are bang on.  Has a bit of a Napoleon Dynamite thing about him.  Anyway, after we eventually finish it we have the Jeffrey Dahmer Tapes on deck.

I find it odd that they didn't include more about his actual neighbor from across hall, who thought he was a great guy and actually hung out with him. She was later arrested for dealing drugs I believe. Why they turned his neighbors into these amazing brave characters is more of whats going on in cinema. None of that happened. Zero. The anti cop rhetoric (prank calling the fictional neighbors...?) and the woke BS infiltrated this series too. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Dude said:

I find it odd that they didn't include more about his actual neighbor from across hall, who thought he was a great guy and actually hung out with him. She was later arrested for dealing drugs I believe. Why they turned his neighbors into these amazing brave characters is more of whats going on in cinema. None of that happened. Zero. The anti cop rhetoric (prank calling the fictional neighbors...?) and the woke BS infiltrated this series too. 

I thought for sure it was Lionel making those prank calls.  When they showed who it actually was I was like whaaaaaaaaaaaat.  I wonder if that actually happen.  But yea I didn't know about the neighbor across the hall being friendly with him.  I did read that the "Glenda" character is supposed to be a mesh of the real Glenda and the neighbor from across the hall.  Whom got no airtime that I can recall other than a quick scene where she slams the door shut as Jeff is walking in the hallway if I remember correctly.

54 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I thought for sure it was Lionel making those prank calls.  When they showed who it actually was I was like whaaaaaaaaaaaat.  I wonder if that actually happen.  But yea I didn't know about the neighbor across the hall being friendly with him.  I did read that the "Glenda" character is supposed to be a mesh of the real Glenda and the neighbor from across the hall.  Whom got no airtime that I can recall other than a quick scene where she slams the door shut as Jeff is walking in the hallway if I remember correctly.

His actual neighbor was named Pamela Bass. She was pretty clueless about what was going on. 

This neighbor actually met and hung out with him. Mrs Cleveland never even came in contact with him and the fable about her daughter's arrest (camera incident) is also not true. Much like how on the opening scene the depicts 5 white police officers were accused of beating a black undercover police officer. 

There's a bit of woke fiction going on in this one. Not sure why it would be injected into a nonfiction story where it shouldn't be. I understand that a story needs to be juiced up here and there, but there was plenty of other ways to do that with this crazy event that really happened. 

I'd think putting Bass into the story would have been more entertaining. But it makes her seem stupid and aloof because she was so oblivious about her neighbor. Can't have that. 

After digging a little more the police pranking the victims families may or may not have been true. I've read 2 different takes on it. One saying it wasn't the cops involved and another saying there's no way to tell. 

Edited by The Dude
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

His actual neighbor was named Pamela Bass. She was pretty clueless about what was going on. 

This neighbor actually met and hung out with him. Mrs Cleveland never even came in contact with him and the fable about her daughter's arrest (camera incident) is also not true. Much like how on the opening scene the depicts 5 white police officers were accused of beating a black undercover police officer. 

There's a bit of woke fiction going on in this one. Not sure why it would be injected into a nonfiction story where it shouldn't be. I understand that a story needs to be juiced up here and there, but there was plenty of other ways to do that with this crazy event that really happened. 

I'd think putting Bass into the story would have been more entertaining. But it makes her seem stupid and aloof because she was so oblivious about her neighbor. Can't have that. 

Thanks I'll be sure to watch that video when I can.  From another video I saw, the scene where the Laotian kid was found on the stoop really did happen.  Or something similar to it.  Glenda's daughter really did find him there.  I assume she was friends with a girl that did actually live in the building.