• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Kratzzzzoff

LeetchHOF

I have to trust that somebody, somewhere, saw talent. Or at least the potential of talent. He frigged-up his entire start to a NHL career with last year’s shitshow. We have to look past that indiscretion and wonder, “Is there a NHL’er there?” Skipping out on Hartford is on him and a huge opportunity lost. 

Are we showcasing? To some degree certainly. Is Drury pulling out the diving rods hoping to see ‘something?’ Absolutely. Again, I think somebody who evaluated talent saw something. I’m trusting that until he no longer wears our sweater. 

He looked good at times during the 20 games he was here season before last.  The time he spent on checking lines was obviously a waste.  He has not looked good in the several games he has played this preseason.  There is little choice but to give him a chance, a chance some players who were not high picks never get.

23 minutes ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

I have to trust that somebody, somewhere, saw talent. Or at least the potential of talent. He frigged-up his entire start to a NHL career with last year’s shitshow. We have to look past that indiscretion and wonder, “Is there a NHL’er there?” Skipping out on Hartford is on him and a huge opportunity lost. 

Are we showcasing? To some degree certainly. Is Drury pulling out the diving rods hoping to see ‘something?’ Absolutely. Again, I think somebody who evaluated talent saw something. I’m trusting that until he no longer wears our sweater. 

Good points.  When I listen to Gallant, especially after last game, I’m convinced he thinks this guy sucks.  Entitled brat.  No way he should be on top 6.  

11 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Guess you missed that guy wearing #29 all last year. 

He's not slow. Not weak. And showed last preseason that he is pretty responsible defensively,  so there goes the lazy... 

What's a legitimate better option on the roster or in the system? 

Lol.   U need an eye exam ASAP.  He’s literally terrible.  Can’t skate. Weak. Turns the puck over 90% of the time. Has done nothing and he’s playing with our top players.  Get rid of his ass

Hoping Kravsov improves as the year goes on. On the one hand I felt he had a better camp than Kakko last year. Unfortunately he  hasn't impressed me this year. Last night his one great scoring chance 12 feet point blank he fanned on the shot.

I was hoping even more that Othmann would have gotten a longer look with a possibility of moving to 2nd line RW. Othman has snarl and good scoring/playmaking instincts. Very surprised they didn't keep him around for a longer look 

There are several reasons why he’s “still here.”

1. He actually plays RW naturally.

2. He does have a high level of skill. Maybe a tinge less than we thought, but there is potential, he’s shown it elsewhere, and he needs to just learn the North American game.

3. his contract is cheap and we are up against the cap

Honestly, he’s not been good, but he’s a pretty important guy on this team to give as long of a look as humanly possible. He’s also a very young man it’s quite possible he’s very nervous considering what he personally did last year walking off. 

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

I've taken to calling him "Kravtsoft," because it's how he plays. Outside of one or two shifts in which he genuinely drove to the net, I'm seeing none of the same player traits he was billed as having in the KHL. There's no shooting threat, ever. Especially not on the power play where he defers so hard to anyone else you'd think he was doing his best Panarin in the playoffs impression.

We're probably approaching sunk cost territory soon, but the Rangers don't have much choice here. His value is minimal. I'm not interested in trading him for someone like Ryan Poehling, who is just another organization's first-rounder failing to blossom.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

35 minutes ago, Keirik said:

There are several reasons why he’s “still here.”

1. He actually plays RW naturally.

2. He does have a high level of skill. Maybe a tinge less than we thought, but there is potential, he’s shown it elsewhere, and he needs to just learn the North American game.

3. his contract is cheap and we are up against the cap

Honestly, he’s not been good, but he’s a pretty important guy on this team to give as long of a look as humanly possible. He’s also a very young man it’s quite possible he’s very nervous considering what he personally did last year walking off. 

Well, yes, yes, and yes, but the second point is pretty dramatically overstating the ability he's shown at the NHL level thus far. He has a high level of skill in the KHL that we're hoping will translate to the NHL.

I'd also push back on him being a "pretty important guy" on the team. His contract value is important, kind of, but unless he can convert, that value is fleeting, and just adds to the wasteland at right-wing that's also not producing much value.

• Bullseye 1

10 hours ago, josh said:

He'll be great. Hopefully its with the Rangers.

Only Rangers fans can single out a rookie after the entire team plays a pathetic game.

Except it’s NOT one game.  He’s literally terrible.   He should be in Hartford right now, except the little baby would cry and go back to Russia (where he would continue to suck).    Hopefully some idiot will trade for him, although that’s unlikely. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, leetchy2 said:

Hoping Kravsov improves as the year goes on. On the one hand I felt he had a better camp than Kakko last year. Unfortunately he  hasn't impressed me this year. Last night his one great scoring chance 12 feet point blank he fanned on the shot.

I was hoping even more that Othmann would have gotten a longer look with a possibility of moving to 2nd line RW. Othman has snarl and good scoring/playmaking instincts. Very surprised they didn't keep him around for a longer look 

True

Wondering why people say Rangers fans could never support an actual rebuild? This thread. I’m not saying he’s guaranteed to be good, but imagine being this bent out of shape about him after a few preseason games. He might not even be in the opening lineup, so take some Valium and relax.

By the way, Kravtsov being in the lineup, even if he does wind up sucking, isn’t any different than trotting Hunt or Vesey out there in the top 6 - which looks likely to happen at some point again too, and maybe sooner rather than later. Some folks just haven’t moved on from Kravtsov’s bad choices last year and it’s polluting their ability to have any modicum of patience.

• Like 3
  • Bullseye 1
  • Applause 2

1 minute ago, rmc51 said:

Wondering why people say Rangers fans could never support an actual rebuild? This thread. I’m not saying he’s guaranteed to be good, but imagine being this bent out of shape about him after a few preseason games. He might not even be in the opening lineup, so take some Valium and relax.

By the way, Kravtsov being in the lineup, even if he does wind up sucking, isn’t any different than trotting Hunt or Vesey out there in the top 6 - which looks likely to happen at some point again too, and maybe sooner rather than later. Some folks just haven’t moved on from Kravtsov’s bad choices last year and it’s polluting their ability to have any modicum of patience.

Last I checked, our tagging system works, so name them, or stop fighting that strawman.

If it's me you're talking about, you're damned right I'm not over his bad choices, but that's not "polluting" my assessment of him. His play is. Because it leaves a lot to be desired.

Would I rather Vesey or Hunt there? No, but you're presenting a false dichotomy because those aren't the only available options. Lafreniere has shown the most offensive flash on the right over literally every other natural RW on the roster. I'd be 100% comfortable with him taking a top-six role away from a player who has, to this point, shown nothing to suggest he deserves it.

• Keeps it 100 1

Ok, calling it now:

Kravtsov scores the first goal of the season on a beautiful play!

...and then disappears into anonymity, with a long ZZ Top beard in some Western Canadian Province as a farmer.

Edited by Ozzy
  • LOL 1

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

Last I checked, our tagging system works, so name them, or stop fighting that strawman.

If it's me you're talking about, you're damned right I'm not over his bad choices, but that's not "polluting" my assessment of him. His play is. Because it leaves a lot to be desired.

Would I rather Vesey or Hunt there? No, but you're presenting a false dichotomy because those aren't the only available options. Lafreniere has shown the most offensive flash on the right over literally every other natural RW on the roster. I'd be 100% comfortable with him taking a top-six role away from a player who has, to this point, shown nothing to suggest he deserves it.

Wasn’t calling you specifically out at all. But I’ll tag who it was mostly directed at @LeetchHOF, who created the account yesterday for seemingly the main purpose of needing to have a meltdown thread about Kravtsov lmao

I said polluting patience. Not polluting evaluation of play. Big difference. The choices he made last year don’t go away. It does impact how long he has to prove something, but if a few preseason games is the window…well, polluted patience.

Re: Lafreniere. It seems pretty clear they don’t intend to switch him, but that’s a discussion for another thread.

• Like 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

26 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

If he was playing here two years ago or even last year, I might buy this - the franchise was in a semi-rebuild, young players were starting their careers. But they're not rebuilding anymore. RW is a huge weakness for them and they can't waste a season, or a significant portion of a season, hoping this kid can find something and become the player he was purported to be when he was drafted - especially when we're sitting in his D+4 year. 

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

If he was playing here two years ago or even last year, I might buy this - the franchise was in a semi-rebuild, young players were starting their careers. But they're not rebuilding anymore. RW is a huge weakness for them and they can't waste a season, or a significant portion of a season, hoping this kid can find something and become the player he was purported to be when he was drafted - especially when we're sitting in his D+4 year. 

Why not? We know they’re getting Kane and/or another RW at the deadline unless Kakko, Lafreniere and/or Kravtsov breakout as productive RWs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

Too late. They are going to do that with Vesey, Hunt, Gauthier, Kravtsov, etc. Even Goodrow is a trash top 6 player if they go there.

If it’s Vesey, by the way, I fully expect him to have 6 goals in the first 10 games or something, followed by 4 goals in 35. But he’ll stick because of the first 10.

• Like 1