• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Sens Sign Tyler Motte to 1-Year/$1.35M Deal

Lord Al

• Phil changed the title to Sens Sign Tyler Motte to 1-Year/$1.35M Deal
1 hour ago, Sod16 said:

Attaboy Chris!  Signed Reaves for another year just so we can watch is death agonies and hence had no space for the much better Motte at a very good price.

Reaves fills a tougher role. They can always get a/the Motte at the deadline for a late pick. 

2 hours ago, Valriera said:

Good for him he earned a nice check for a year. If he keeps it up he should be able to hit it for a little more term at that price too, solid guy 

(he took a pay cut of 100k to play in Ottawa after seeking $2m x 4)

23 minutes ago, josh said:

Reaves fills a tougher role. They can always get a/the Motte at the deadline for a late pick. 

Some people just need to let go.  The man is simply too slow to play in the NHL anymore.  That's why his last two teams have scratched him in elimination games in the playoffs.  There was no need to add a year to his contract a year in advance.  He wasn't going to go anywhere if you still wanted him at the end of his contract. 

There's a lesson in the Motte in Rodrigues contracts.  Save a couple of million in cap in the July UFA period and you can get a bargain in September that you never would have gotten in July.

Nobody is going to believe me,  but I'd rather they paid Motte 1.3 over Gauthier at 800k. Then obviously send Hunt to the AHL or into a pool of Monkey Pox contaminated liquid or something or other. 

Motte was a buzz saw. He had a role here that they are just going to try to find later on down the road. 

But yeah, Ottawa is putting together a pretty good team on paper. 

4 hours ago, Sod16 said:

Some people just need to let go.  The man is simply too slow to play in the NHL anymore.  That's why his last two teams have scratched him in elimination games in the playoffs.  There was no need to add a year to his contract a year in advance.  He wasn't going to go anywhere if you still wanted him at the end of his contract. 

There's a lesson in the Motte in Rodrigues contracts.  Save a couple of million in cap in the July UFA period and you can get a bargain in September that you never would have gotten in July.

i think you are completely missing the point of Reaves, but feel free to look back on any of the games prior to last season. 

Reaves, also, isn’t a cap issue. The cap issues comes from every player getting 25% more than they should have gotten. The last hometown discount was Zuccarello, which is why he’s the only guy that made it through a contract without getting bought out. Which, also takes up cap space for multiple seasons. 

and seriously, some people need to let it go when it comes to Motte.

• Keeps it 100 2

18 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Nobody is going to believe me,  but I'd rather they paid Motte 1.3 over Gauthier at 800k. Then obviously send Hunt to the AHL or into a pool of Monkey Pox contaminated liquid or something or other. 

Motte was a buzz saw. He had a role here that they are just going to try to find later on down the road. 

But yeah, Ottawa is putting together a pretty good team on paper. 

And last time we had this discussion, I pointed out that everything you praised about Motte was exceeded by Carpenter. 

If Motte wanted to be here, he would have signed a contract with the Rangers. He didn’t. Let it go, guys. His worthless 9 games won’t be missed. 

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, josh said:

And last time we had this discussion, I pointed out that everything you praised about Motte was exceeded by Carpenter. 

If Motte wanted to be here, he would have signed a contract with the Rangers. He didn’t. Let it go, guys. His worthless 9 games won’t be missed. 

No. No we didn't. You pointed out that Carpenter played a bunch on the PK. A shitty PK. To which it was proven Motte did as well (shitty PK) until he came to the Rangers. 

Kinda just saying I'd rather have Motte. No big catastrophe. Well, not until Carpenter stinks up the joint and the Rangers start looking for a 4th line checker that isn't dogshit.... again. But we all have preferences. Not sure why the preference of this player bothers you. There's not some huge uproar about the loss of Motte. 

1 hour ago, josh said:

Motte took a pay cut, meaning EVERY GM thinks less of him than people on here.

”some people just need to let it go” 

What was I suggesting his worth was? I think 1- 1.4. That's pretty much what anyone here was considering paying him if they were to bring him back. 

Kinda in line with GMs really. 

12 minutes ago, The Dude said:

No. No we didn't. You pointed out that Carpenter played a bunch on the PK. A shitty PK. To which it was proven Motte did as well (shitty PK) until he came to the Rangers. 

Kinda just saying I'd rather have Motte. No big catastrophe. Well, not until Carpenter stinks up the joint and the Rangers start looking for a 4th line checker that isn't dogshit.... again. But we all have preferences. Not sure why the preference of this player bothers you. There's not some huge uproar about the loss of Motte. 

Stop. He didn’t do anything.

and still can’t win faceoffs, player center, or sign for what the rangers offered 

9 minutes ago, The Dude said:

What was I suggesting his worth was? I think 1- 1.4. That's pretty much what anyone here was considering paying him if they were to bring him back. 

Kinda in line with GMs really. 

1.6 x multi years is what you used. 

and again, no, no GM went for that. 

10 hours ago, josh said:

1.6 x multi years is what you used. 

and again, no, no GM went for that. 

I agree with all your points around if we really need Motte... We didn't. But that's only because we can give his slot to players like Cullye and Othmann and break them into the NHL. They can come in as fourth liners and PK guys. 

But at this point of the year, with a flat cap, it's a game of musical chairs and there's a lot of players left without a seat and it doesn't make them bad players. 

Motte is a good player but sometimes it just doesn't work out. 

32 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Cuylle sounds like a good Motte replacement to bring in this year. I dont want to stifle Othmann with 4th line duties. The kid was an offensive dynamo and not that it will definitely translate but we should at least give it the opportunity to. 

His offensive development has been a bonus. He has always been a physical and defensively sound player.

This is a win-win situation in my book;

Motte gets to stay in the show on what looks to be a pretty competitive Ottawa team, and we clear the way for our young guns like Culleye and The Big "O".

I didn't see that at the end of the season, but now that the smoke is clearing, it looks like having Motte out of the picture makes a lot more sense.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

It would be cool to see feisty Lafreniere with Othmann. They'd be hitting bodies and one-timers.

I'm not sure I'm cool with Cuylle as a 4th liner, but its bound to happen. We'd have to remember that he's just a kid, learning at this level - which we need long-term.

Again, no one needs to play every game, either. A game off should be normal, especially for kids.

• Like 2