• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Sens Re-Sign Tim Stutzle to 8-Year/$66.8m Extension; $8.35m AAV

LindG1000

Giving him money based on expected continued increases in performance. Similar to the Hughes contract, except Hughes' re-signing happened mid-season as he was pacing a point/game.

Really curious what Laf's next contract looks like. This doesn't help, especially with how much more ice time and PP time Stutzle gets. If Laf got that, which he very well might this season, could make for a necessary trade or two next summer. 

16 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Giving him money based on expected continued increases in performance. Similar to the Hughes contract, except Hughes' re-signing happened mid-season as he was pacing a point/game.

Really curious what Laf's next contract looks like. This doesn't help, especially with how much more ice time and PP time Stutzle gets. If Laf got that, which he very well might this season, could make for a necessary trade or two next summer. 

I mean, if that's the case, so be it. Approach Goodrow, Kreider, and/or Lindgren. Might mean needing to walk from Chytil entirely. These are the calls you make to keep the best players.

• Bullseye 1

13 minutes ago, Phil said:

I mean, if that's the case, so be it. Approach Goodrow, Kreider, and/or Lindgren. Might mean needing to walk from Chytil entirely. These are the calls you make to keep the best players.

I think knowing they need to walk away from Kreider is a key reason they gave Trouba the C.

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

I think knowing they need to walk away from Kreider is a key reason they gave Trouba the C.

Yeah, I mean, it was probably gonna be one of them, with the other getting moved. Of the two, Kreider is a lot easier to trade.

The Rangers are playing a dangerous game with the kids. They are seeing their counterparts get loads of ice time and opportunity, resulting in big money and not necessarily better play.

If Lafreniere gets 18 goals and 35-40 points on 14 minutes and no PP time, he’s not taking a $3-5M per year deal because he’s “only a 35-40 point player” - nor should he. He’ll point directly at the Stutzle contract and production relative to opportunity. The Rangers will have limited leverage and basically have to pay it. They won’t be able to bend him over like they did Kakko in the market that existed this summer…and let’s be honest, Lafreniere has been far more impressive than Kakko.

The Rangers will have to give Lafreniere a Stutzle-like deal. They can do it without trading a NMC player like Kreider, but they’ll have to trade or lose a couple of other players. Trading Lindgren and replacing with an ELC to save $2M is a horrendous idea and one I would not endorse. They’ll probably need to decide things like:

1) Keep Goodrow and trade Chytil, or trade Goodrow and pay Chytil Goodrow-money.

2) Hardball bridge KAM. Affordable Lindgren type contract. And why would he be worth more than Lindgren anyway, exactly?

3) Trade Kravtsov or Kakko.

All dependent on how the season goes, but a respectable season from Lafreniere needs to result in a contract taking him through his 20s.

Edited by rmc51

4 hours ago, rmc51 said:

The Rangers are playing a dangerous game with the kids. They are seeing their counterparts get loads of ice time and opportunity, resulting in big money and not necessarily better play.

If Lafreniere gets 18 goals and 35-40 points on 14 minutes and no PP time, he’s not taking a $3-5M per year deal because he’s “only a 35-40 point player” - nor should he. He’ll point directly at the Stutzle contract and production relative to opportunity. The Rangers will have limited leverage and basically have to pay it. They won’t be able to bend him over like they did Kakko in the market that existed this summer…and let’s be honest, Lafreniere has been far more impressive than Kakko.

The Rangers will have to give Lafreniere a Stutzle-like deal. They can do it without trading a NMC player like Kreider, but they’ll have to trade or lose a couple of other players. Trading Lindgren and replacing with an ELC to save $2M is a horrendous idea and one I would not endorse. They’ll probably need to decide things like:

1) Keep Goodrow and trade Chytil, or trade Goodrow and pay Chytil Goodrow-money.

2) Hardball bridge KAM. Affordable Lindgren type contract. And why would he be worth more than Lindgren anyway, exactly?

3) Trade Kravtsov or Kakko.

All dependent on how the season goes, but a respectable season from Lafreniere needs to result in a contract taking him through his 20s.

I don’t think that will help if Laf is getting $8 million per. Eventually you have to look at the elephant in the room.  That elephant is Panarin 

We can all only hope we have this problem to deal with because if we don’t, we have a different, worse problem on our hands, which is how did the last two years of first and second overall draft picks bust so hard where everywhere else they earn their way into 8m contracts? That’s a much harder question to face than how do we make room for lafreniere after he puts up a great season 

His numbers have already been discussed at length and they’re decent but far below average for a player who went first overall when compared to the first picks of the last few years. He’s got to take a step forward. I think he’s close but he’s still got to take the step, otherwise, yeah he’s going to bust pretty hard.

kakko is just I have no idea how anyone could think his numbers are decent but anyway

point is if they both continue to suck we won’t have to worry about 8m contracts lol 

1 hour ago, Valriera said:

His numbers have already been discussed at length and they’re decent but far below average for a player who went first overall when compared to the first picks of the last few years. He’s got to take a step forward. I think he’s close but he’s still got to take the step, otherwise, yeah he’s going to bust pretty hard.

kakko is just I have no idea how anyone could think his numbers are decent but anyway

point is if they both continue to suck we won’t have to worry about 8m contracts lol 

If Lafs trajectory continues to mirror Jack Hughes then we should be pretty excited to see him break out this year.

Agree with Kakko though.