• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Flames Re-Sign Jonathan Huberdeau to 8-Year/$84m Extension; $10.5m AAV

59 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Signed until he’s 37, but he’s quietly been one of the top point producers in the league the past few years. Still think for $1mil more, I’d rather have Panarin 😉

Agreed. They are very close but Huberdeau has played under far less pressure and with more talented offensive players around him. 

6 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

Signed until he’s 37, but he’s quietly been one of the top point producers in the league the past few years. Still think for $1mil more, I’d rather have Panarin 😉

And at 27 not 30. No brainer. 

I know. I was using your post (since it was last) to speak to the value of the deal.

I'd rather Panarin than Hub, head-to-head, contract-for-contract, every day and twice on Sunday. But I also don't think this is actually going to hurt them when he's 37 or 38. He'll age like Bergeron, not Callahan.

• Cheers 1

I think it's an iffy deal for Calgary but it does resolve the question of whether they will be sellers at the trade deadline.

If the cap expands by 15-20% over the course of the deal Calgary made a good deal.  if for any reason it does not, well they'll be unhappy later in the deal.

They have no real reason to be sellers. They've already invested in the team. If anything, a one-year, Bruins-like "tank" job would have been fine, where they miss this year and maybe aim for Bedard, but they just signed Markstrom and Coleman, traded for Toffoli, and extended a bunch of win-now guys. I get that they lost two 100-point players, and that's horrible, but it's not really a reason to tear it down to the studs. Huberdeau recoups 50% of the points they just lost. There's still work to do to replace Gaudreau, but maybe they just say fuck it and let Mangiapane be their top-line wing? He's already a 30+ goal guy. Maybe he pushes 40-50 with Hub?

If they can lock up Weegar as well, they'll have really made a decent return out of a guy who was leaving anyway. The team is still good, and they shored up their defense while almost impossibly replacing a top line winger. 

They definitely don't have the pipeline to fill in for another high end winger, but a more rounded team with better depth might be good for them to still be competitive. Once they make it to the playoffs, you never know. 

2 hours ago, Phil said:

I don't even understand what this means, but do we really need to say this if it means what I think it does?

Weaker teams or those in less desirable markets seem to have to offer richer contracts.  Perhaps with Canadian players, that's not as big of a factor for Calgary, Winnipeg or Edmonton.

Pretty tame as analogies go, no?

Thats great for him; what an amazing career move. Gets to live in Florida and be a pro athlete with stability for the first half of his career. Then he gets to try a new area out and have stability for the backend of his career. Oh yea and and make a ton of money doing it. Stability, New adventures and lots of $$. Congrats!!

Huberdeau is quietly one of the best players of the decade, and the man just made his money. Good for him.

ultjmately the flames got roasted this off season and I don’t think this will go very well for them but they managed to at least salvage the situation at face value so that’s not nothing